Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 01:54 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I looked it up.

EXCLAMATION
informal
Expressing disgust or strong distaste.

‘Yeuch! I can't stand sherry!’

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/yeuch
My sister was greatly disappointed with Archie. She said "So what's the middle name? Jughead?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2019, 01:56 PM

14,311 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Archie has been in the top 20 boy's names in England and Wales for several years. It is a pretty trendy name over there, and Brits don't seem to have as much sense that a boy needs a "formal" first name as Americans do. They often name boys just Charlie, Alfie, etc.

I was surprised by this choice at first, but as I thought about it, it made more sense. If they had chosen a string of three stuffy traditional names like William's children got, people would be saying that doesn't seem like Harry's style and they were just caving to pressure to be formal.

If they'd picked a name that sounded too American, they would have been criticized for that, too. Archie sounds casual, which is probably what they were going for, and it really does fit in with British trends, so he's not going to stand out among the other kids.

Old 05-08-2019, 02:07 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Archie has been in the top 20 boy's names in England and Wales for several years. It is a pretty trendy name over there, and Brits don't seem to have as much sense that a boy needs a "formal" first name as Americans do. They often name boys just Charlie, Alfie, etc.

I was surprised by this choice at first, but as I thought about it, it made more sense. If they had chosen a string of three stuffy traditional names like William's children got, people would be saying that doesn't seem like Harry's style and they were just caving to pressure to be formal.

If they'd picked a name that sounded too American, they would have been criticized for that, too. Archie sounds casual, which is probably what they were going for, and it really does fit in with British trends, so he's not going to stand out among the other kids.
No, he won't be different from other kids. Now the #1 trendy name in the UK will probably be Archie.

I'm getting used to it. They're announcing it on the radio every few minutes, it seems.

But the Harry's son=Harrison, if that's the reason for that name, it will always seem like a childish move. Oh how clever, he is Harry's son so we'll call him Harrison. Aren't we "different."

Old 05-08-2019, 02:09 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
I never met an Archie in England, that can’t be a popular name.

Old 05-08-2019, 02:19 PM

14,311 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I never met an Archie in England, that can’t be a popular name.
That's like someone visiting the US, interacting solely with adults, and returning home saying, "I never met a Liam or Ava in the US, those can't be popular names."

Archie is a popular name in England, it's just not common among adults--yet. It's been among the top 20 baby names since 2013.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:17 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
That's like someone visiting the US, interacting solely with adults, and returning home saying, "I never met a Liam or Ava in the US, those can't be popular names."

Archie is a popular name in England, it's just not common among adults--yet. It's been among the top 20 baby names since 2013.
I guess they didn't have Archie Bunker over there. Over here that's the knee jerk reaction upon hearing the name, Archie. (Edith--"Oh, Aaaaaaarchie, the toilet's running over again. ARRRRRRRRRCHIE!"

Old 05-08-2019, 04:37 PM

1,877 posts, read 678,004 times
There has been a trend for resurrecting names that were popular 100 years ago recently and Archie is one of those I guess. I don't know any adult Archies in the UK either but it has been a popular name for babies in recent years.

On the other hand some names that were popular a few decades ago have completely dropped off the charts, the numbers of babies named Nigel, Kevin, Gary, Basil and Derek are now down in single digits each year when they used to be in the top 20 most popular.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19247787

Old 05-08-2019, 04:44 PM

165 posts, read 115,122 times
At first I wasn’t crazy about the name. Though really who am I but someone watching from afar. Lol. But now, I’ve gotten used to it. It wouldn’t have been my pick, but he ain’t my kid so. Shrugs.

I mostly enjoyed seeing Harry holding the baby, instead of Meghan. Though glowing, she still looks a bit tired understandably. Looks like he might be a hands on dad (at least until the nannies get fully acclimated). They both look to be over the moon at their new little one. I also enjoyed seeing the picture of Meghan, Harry and the baby with the Queen, his grandfather and Meghan’s mom Doria. Very lovely.

What an exciting time for them.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:55 PM

1,877 posts, read 678,004 times
The army of nannies should at least shield the parents from the worst of what most people with new born kids have to go through!

I think they will be more hands on than their grandparents though, when Elizabeth and Phillip had their first kid (Charles) they promptly went off to Malta leaving the toddler with carers for months on end and neither parent was there for much of his childhood. Its another world compared with most people's experience of being a parent.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/royal...een-royal-news

Old 05-08-2019, 05:02 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Quote:

That’s what the news said, maybe you believe them. But I know 4 young kids in England, I’m not just associated with adults only.
I can imagine putting on my Edith’s high pitched voice and call out “Ahchie”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom