Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 02:52 PM

997 posts, read 710,354 times

Advertisements

I don't get why the worldwide media insist on calling the Duchess of Sussex "Meghan Markle"' now that she is married to Prince Harry. What is Her Grace's married name? Meghan Sussex? Meghan Mountbatten-Windsor? It seems like people want to insult her by not acknowledging her marriage. So much sour grapes! I don't like seeing her disrespected. Now that she is a mother, it sounds even more churlish when they call her MM. They do the same to the Duchess of Cambridge as well. Its ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 03:09 PM

1,877 posts, read 677,830 times
Maybe she wants that, plenty of women like to keep their name after marrying, have you asked her?

Thinking about it the media doesn't tend to use the surname of any of the royal family, Harry is never referred to as 'Harry Windsor', it's 'Prince Harry' normally, or sometimes since marriage 'The Duke of Sussex'.

Together they are often called 'The Duke and Duchess of Sussex', or 'The Sussexes' sometimes for short.

Either way, does it really matter?

Old 05-12-2019, 04:12 PM

1,139 posts, read 465,354 times
megan has to basically get used to the fact of life that she is now a Duchess in a monarchical country.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:04 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyJuly View Post
I don't get why the worldwide media insist on calling the Duchess of Sussex "Meghan Markle"' now that she is married to Prince Harry. What is Her Grace's married name? Meghan Sussex? Meghan Mountbatten-Windsor? It seems like people want to insult her by not acknowledging her marriage. So much sour grapes! I don't like seeing her disrespected. Now that she is a mother, it sounds even more churlish when they call her MM. They do the same to the Duchess of Cambridge as well. Its ridiculous.
I'm going to guess that you aren't old enough to remember Princess Grace of Monaco. She was called Grace Kelly as often as she was called Princess Grace. That's because, like Meghan Markle, she was an actress prior to her marriage. She was already famous. It's not disrespect.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:21 AM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Queen consorts and wives of princes long have been referred to by their maiden names.

Anne of Austria (Queen of France as wife to Louis XIII) was referred to as just that.

Princess Alexandra, consort of Edward VII was just that a royal princess. When her husband inherited she became queen.

As dead commoners neither the Duchess of Cambridge nor Duchess of Sussex have any other royal title. Their legal names are now "the Princess William", and "the Princess Harry". Would you want to go around being referred to by only your husband's name?

The Markel woman in particular had a career and past before marrying Prince Harry; so just as with many modern women she may likely prefer use of her maiden name. She knows who she is, and so does everyone else.

In any event the situation is streets better than creating royal princesses which happened when media and foamers dreamed up "Princess Diana".

Old 05-13-2019, 05:33 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.â€" (set 2 days ago)

27,175 posts, read 13,455,286 times
Quote:
The Royal Family don't have an official surname and Meghan's name is Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and not Markle, she is no longer Meghan Markle. As for the media they just print anything even if it isn't true, so I woudn't take too much notice of the media.

Why the Royal Family Doesn't Have a Last Name | Reader's Digest

They changed from Saxe-Coburg and Gotha to the House of Windsor (after "Windsor Castle) in 1917 due to WW1 and anti-German sentiment among the population.

House of Windsor - Wikipedia

Male Heirs such as Archie, are usually given the surname Moutntbatten-Windsor.

Mountbatten-Windsor - Wikipedia

Old 05-13-2019, 07:46 PM

As Queen Marie-Antoinette famously responded at her trial when refusing answer to "Widow Capet" or gave her name simply as "Marie-Antoinette of France (cannot recall), "when one has no last name one must give name of one's country". Maria-Antonia was a daughter of Austria, who marred a son of France and Navarre so there you are then.

That being said many royal houses do have last names of a sort. This usually derives from a place or noble name held by family before their elevation to royalty.

In the case of George V and his family things were complicated by several factors.

First and foremost they were up until that time nearly all German. This was aided by tendency for monarchs and heirs to the GB throne marrying German princes and princesses.

Second there was the question of Queen Victoria; not just what was her last name, but did she (and or her heirs) take the name of Prince Albert of Saxe Coburg-Gotha.

Generally when a queen reins in her own right (as opposed to a consort) she does not take the name of her husband. That would cause dynastic problems, and many ministers would have problems accepting.

Getting down to brass tacks since current RF and all heirs are directly descended from Electress Sophia of Hanover (herself a granddaughter of James I of England & Scotland) the RF could technically hold last name of Stuart. That name was scratched when George V was searching about for a surname due to conations stirred up by memory of two executed monarchs (Mary, Queen of Scots, and Charles I).

Next in line would be Tudor, by Mary, Queen of Scots grandmother Margaret Tudor (sister of Henry VIII). Tudor was scratched again due to doings of a few past monarchs (Henry VIII and "Bloody" Mary I).

Then came the various surnames attached to the Hanover and Saxe-Coburg family (Wettin and so forth) all of which were wholly Germanic and thus no better than Saxe-Coburg.

Prince Phillip was in exactly the same spot as Albert of Saxe-Coburg Gotha. Denied crown matrimonial both also found out any children resulting from marriage would not bear their names. In short they were reduced to what princesses long had been; breeding stock.

HM managed to undo some of the damage to her consort by splitting difference. Far as the monarch and males in line to inherit the royal house is still "Windsor". For nearly everyone else it is "Windsor-Mountbatten".

There is more to this and shan't bore with details but they do say there was bad blood between George V and the Prince Louis of Battenberg whose family were kicked down into the peerage during the great anti-German name change/reshuffle of 1917.

Louis Mountbatten was instrumental to an extent in bringing the young princess Elizabeth and his nephew Prince Phillip of Greece. They say he was more than a little happy about the marriage because it meant (so he and Prince Phillip believed/thought) that any issue would bear name "Mountbatten" and thus resorting royal status to at least one branch of that family. It didn't wholly work out that way for reasons already explained.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:28 AM

18,527 posts, read 18,748,986 times
Quote:
People still say Kate Middleton..

Old 05-14-2019, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
People still say Kate Middleton..
Some tried for awhile with "Princess Kate", but it never fully stuck (thank God), so that's that then.

Really don't see what all the fuss is about; hundreds if not thousands of married women continue to be known/called by their maiden names. This isn't the 1860's or even 1960's any longer.

This all ties into the other royal subject that has tongues wagging recently; Prince Harry's son not having any sort of royal title, rank or style.

Face it even in famously formal GB things are becoming more and more informal.

Old 05-14-2019, 04:26 PM

997 posts, read 710,354 times
I see their are varied opinions on this; its all good. Surprised they didn't call the baby Baby Markle before he was born!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom