Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 06:45 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,126,730 times

Advertisements

BBC NEWS | UK | Teen pregnancy: Why are rates rising?

The UK has the highest teen birthrate in Western Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 08:03 PM

92 posts, read 320,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
BBC NEWS | UK | Teen pregnancy: Why are rates rising?

The UK has the highest teen birthrate in Western Europe.
pregnant teenage mothers get first dibs on council housing which is a ludicrous policy and encourages such behavior. this is the problem with the social welfare state...it rewards laziness and irresponsibility while the rest of the country pays 50% of their income in taxes to support it. it is counterproductive and counterintuitive.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:31 PM

715 posts, read 2,082,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swim73088 View Post
pregnant teenage mothers get first dibs on council housing which is a ludicrous policy and encourages such behavior. this is the problem with the social welfare state...it rewards laziness and irresponsibility while the rest of the country pays 50% of their income in taxes to support it. it is counterproductive and counterintuitive.
A society with No or little morales.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:01 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,583,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
Looks that way,,,

Teen Birth Rate Rises in U.S., Reversing a 14-Year Decline - washingtonpost.com

Old 04-18-2008, 12:23 AM

Yes well, the difference is:

US has been in decline for a long time, whilst the uk has been going up for donkies years and wont stop anytime soon. Just look at how you support lone mothers but yet fail to put the money where its really needed. Education!!

At least the US tackles it head on and coughs up the dough, what does the pathetic uk government and society do?? "you just keep banging it in johnny, we (social welfare) will cover it"

Borring and uncreative of doing things, as expected

Old 04-18-2008, 01:05 AM

Strangely I find myself agreeing with you

Old 04-18-2008, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Yes well, the difference is:
UK 2005 teenage pregnancies per capita: 42.3 per 1000 Teenage pregnancy: Department for Education and Skills (broken link)
US 2006 teenage pregnancies per capita: 41.9 per 1000
Teen Birth Rate Rises in U.S., Reversing a 14-Year Decline - washingtonpost.com

Yes a huge differance indeed..
I really was hoping our government could learn something from the US on this. As Gracie says "At least the US tackles it head on and coughs up the dough," and of course Education. If with this concerted effort,and throwing money at it, figures are little different to the UK, and are rising, then what is the solution??
Or more to the point, apart from the obvious, what are the causes??
It`s been mentioned single Mothers in the UK have preferential treatment when it came to social housing. What is the situation in the US?? I imagine, but don`t know, that many live with parents as part of extended families. If that`s the case then there is no real gain to be made. I am genuinely interested in the US system for dealing with housing etc for teenage mothers. Maybe someone could enlighten me....

Old 04-18-2008, 09:36 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,226,665 times
Quote:
My morale is fine thank you very much, I'm perfectly happy.
Quote:
.... fail to put the money where its really needed. Education!!
Like spelling for instance? Clearly you're far superior there - I'm going to send all my kids to the USA...

Yeah OK that was a bit pointed, but how am I likely to react to "pathetic government and society"?

I know people abuse the welfare state, but it does a lot of good too. Some people suffer genuine hardship and I'm glad we can share out some of our income to help them. Yes I am! I'm a taxpayer too..

Old 04-18-2008, 10:54 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,558,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post

Like spelling for instance? Clearly you're far superior there - I'm going to send all my kids to the USA...

Yeah OK that was a bit pointed, but how am I likely to react to "pathetic government and society"?

I know people abuse the welfare state, but it does a lot of good too. Some people suffer genuine hardship and I'm glad we can share out some of our income to help them. Yes I am! I'm a taxpayer too..
Right on Sister, I'm with you all the way .

As a tax payer I am more than happy to pay for people who need help or are vulnerable. There but for the grace of God go I. We are all potential victims of poverty and destitution and I wish some people would find a tad of compassion and empathy towards the less fortunate.

Yes there will always be a small minority of people who abuse the system , but I'm willing to take those chances so that nobody is left to die because they can't afford healthcare or a roof over their heads. I wish some people would get of their sanctimonious high horses and grow up a bit.

As for the teenage pregnancies I do think a lot of it is because of the binge drinking culture, poverty in many deprived areas and to a certain extent a culture of failure in certain communities. I think kids need to learn how to respect themselves and have a bit more of a stake in society and made to feel as though there is a future for them. Being in trouble is nowadays often seen as a badge of honour and being a good kid usually means being really uncool . We need to somehow reverse the trend.

But this is a complex issue and one which does not need flippant answers from some.

Old 04-18-2008, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post

Like the "Morale" aspect was specifically directed at you?? Get over yourself PLeeaassse!!

Whats wrong with "Pathetic government and society", you are afterall the ones that put the gorvernment is there in the first place. The two go together like a hand in glove, does it not?

Overly taxed with an overly burdened social welfare, lack of, or no recreational activities for kids to get involved in after school activities. Unless you're one of the lucky lucky well to do privilaged family who can afford to do those things.

Other than that, streets or the use of a "johnny" will have to suffice.

Fine, you want to help the needy, great! lets give you an award from the queen, in the mean time, more and more teenagers humpy pumpy, kids creating havoc in the streets, when they should be doing homework and some, to get ahead in life. Where and when does it all end??

How much did it cost the taxpayer to house that lone mother and child? for the same amount, that money could be better spent taking kids off the streets and pro creational activities.

A lot of these teenagers are seing this as an alternative in getting a better life (lone mother, welfare supported) when society adopts that mindset, i ask you. Is that the way to go??

In the mean time, you're having to recruit from afar to fill in the jobs that a would be english/scotts/welsh could have done, had they been qualified.

How does that benefit britland in the long run??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom