Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 04:39 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,233,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Grow up. Seriously.

Fortunately for me, unlike Griffin, Irving, le Pen and their henchmen I can ignore you at least. Welcome to my ignore list.
How do you do that? I was looking for it earlier - is it a function that appears when you've got x number of posts or reps?

Old 04-23-2008, 06:13 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
I'm puzzled as to why this individual from the US who started the thread is carrying on in this way.

Is this a one off or part of a wider picture?

I think its because of the huge problem in Southern California with illegal immigration. Its a very hot subject there.. although there is still no excuse for ignorance!! I actually enjoy the fact that the BNP have a voice, and sometimes someone pipes up and offers support to them. Here is why (taken from a political website):

* It allows other parties to run with the BNP’s arguments. This is why I find the BNP useful - they offer us a barometer of what is acceptable and what isn’t. If we didn’t have the BNP to bash Muslims, asylum seekers, immigrants, Jews etc, and cook up stories about how asylum seekers are taking all our housing, then Labour or Tory ministers would be running with those stories.

* It gives the impression white racism has gone away While Muslim fanatics are constantly plastered all over the media, white fascists are banished from the airwaves giving the impression that they don’t pose a threat to anyone.

* Freedom of speech FoS is our best friend. Racists should be ridiculed, exposed and heaped abuse on - but they cannot and should not be outlawed. In a democracy we should become used to hearing things we do not like. Do not embrace censorship otherwise it will one day be used against you.

* It prevents newspaper columnists from overly parroting BNP arguments. Richard Littlejohn. Enough said.

* When elected, they’re rubbish anyway. See evidence.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:23 AM
RH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
I think its because of the huge problem in Southern California with illegal immigration. Its a very hot subject there.. although there is still no excuse for ignorance!! I actually enjoy the fact that the BNP have a voice, and sometimes someone pipes up and offers support to them. Here is why (taken from a political website):

* It allows other parties to run with the BNP’s arguments. This is why I find the BNP useful - they offer us a barometer of what is acceptable and what isn’t. If we didn’t have the BNP to bash Muslims, asylum seekers, immigrants, Jews etc, and cook up stories about how asylum seekers are taking all our housing, then Labour or Tory ministers would be running with those stories.

* It gives the impression white racism has gone away While Muslim fanatics are constantly plastered all over the media, white fascists are banished from the airwaves giving the impression that they don’t pose a threat to anyone.

* Freedom of speech FoS is our best friend. Racists should be ridiculed, exposed and heaped abuse on - but they cannot and should not be outlawed. In a democracy we should become used to hearing things we do not like. Do not embrace censorship otherwise it will one day be used against you.
I'd never thought of it like that. Take an unacceptable viewpoint that some people might be toying with, carry it to the extreme in an individual (or party) and everyone kicks them down and, along with them, any possibility that the viewpoint may be acceptable.

Interesting perspective.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:11 AM
RH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
How do you do that? I was looking for it earlier - is it a function that appears when you've got x number of posts or reps?
Got it - thanks Jezer.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:11 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,745,110 times
Moderator's Note:

It would seem that the British members of the forum have expressed a clear concensus on the BNP, so let's close this one and consign it to the archives.

As a side note, folks, let's not be so quick to feed the trolls; use the Report Post function instead and let the moderators earn their keep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom