Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 09:11 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,028,737 times

Advertisements

Idioms, not idiots, but that might be a moot point.

I came across a book of English idioms when I was supposed to be tidying up...two hours of illicit reading later I realised we can't have a conversation without littering it with idioms and proverbs, like 'that rings a bell/strikes a chord', 'speak of the devil', 'off the hook', 'pigs might fly'...etc etc.

I remember Michael Palin in one of his travel documentaries trying to converse with a Chinese man who spoke very little English, saying that he might have 'a few more irons in the fire' - as if that was going to make any sense!!!

Just wondered if our American cousins find this nutty habit confuses them too, as we often are, as GB Shaw said, "two countries separated by the same language".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2008, 04:56 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,225,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post

I came across a book of English idioms when I was supposed to be tidying up...two hours of illicit reading later I realised we can't have a conversation without littering it with idioms and proverbs, like 'that rings a bell/strikes a chord', 'speak of the devil', 'off the hook', 'pigs might fly'...etc etc.

I remember Michael Palin in one of his travel documentaries trying to converse with a Chinese man who spoke very little English, saying that he might have 'a few more irons in the fire' - as if that was going to make any sense!!!

Just wondered if our American cousins find this nutty habit confuses them too, as we often are, as GB Shaw said, "two countries separated by the same language".
We are, but then you can't teach an old dog new tricks.

It caused much entertainment when I shared a house with a Greek girl. She started writing them all down, and I realised just how many funny little expressions I did use in the course of normal conversation. It's almost compulsive as well - the more you try not to use them, the more come to mind!

Old 05-07-2008, 08:22 AM

681 posts, read 2,903,066 times
Quote:
Yes, but we love most of you anyway. You've had so many more years of experience with the language - and so many more folk to share it with - that we sometimes are just amazed at what keeps rolling, and rolling, and rolling - from your lips.

Cheers, though.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:52 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,534,245 times
Quote:

I love British talk...

Old 05-07-2008, 12:42 PM

681 posts, read 2,903,066 times
That is soo funny. And your London is so much closer to Manchester than the UK variety, too.

Old 05-07-2008, 06:49 PM

296 posts, read 1,279,037 times
(a middlewestern American viewpoint, here) My mother-in-law is convinced that idioms in the US are dying with her generation. She always stops to explain all of them to me, although, even if you've not heard them before, most of them are pretty easy to follow to the native English speaker, right? She's never used any that aren't familiar to me, but I often have them fall on completely uncomprehending ears in my classes of 18-24-ish junior college students. I blame lack of reading. But I've never felt you Brits use more idioms than we do, although perhaps some are different. I personally love when you equate things with "a dog's breakfast," but I'm in the veterinary field and probably get more enthused about most animal bodily functions than most... Just finished the latest Elizabeth George novel and was thinking that doing copy editing for it must be interesting since she lives in the Pacific Northwest of the US -- keeping it all consistently British. Seeing "American" characters on British television is similarly fun -- catching the occasional "whoops" in dialogue!

Old 05-07-2008, 08:59 PM

3,367 posts, read 11,028,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodwardGirl View Post
But I've never felt you Brits use more idioms than we do, although perhaps some are different
Tell us some of the different ones - please! I love all idoms but especially the ones I have to work on.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:09 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,652,563 times
When pigs fly, instead of pigs might fly, all I can think of right now

Old 05-07-2008, 10:26 PM

296 posts, read 1,279,037 times
Quote:
Tell us some of the different ones - please! I love all idoms but especially the ones I have to work on.
Chalk and cheese (and, sadly, Hawks and Handsaws)
Taking a **** (means something completely different here!)
Gone pear-shaped
He's barking
Coals to Newcastle
Take a Butcher's
Come a cropper
Donkey's years
Lost his bottle
On the blower

I'll add more as I think of them.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:52 PM

539 posts, read 1,798,996 times
WoodwardGirl- Or anyone else, please give the meanings of the ones you've stated. I'll watch a Guy Richie movie and need the context to understand what their idioms/slang mean but just stating different sayings... I'm confused as to what they could mean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom