U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 08:46 PM

4,285 posts, read 14,030,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Just goes to show you will find people living in pretty poor conditions anywhere,,,if you`re determined to look hard enough.
Well said and spot on.

Now back to the topic of the thread........Liverpool

Old 05-21-2008, 10:17 AM

1,129 posts, read 2,407,081 times
Exclamation Me Thinks We May Have To Re-consider??!!

I'm from the USA. Reading this thread reminds me of the ones for The Bay Area...YIKES!!

If we do decide to take a vacation to your part of the world, (mind you we are on a Middle Class budget) where in London is a decent place to go and lodge?

Old 11-17-2011, 02:08 AM

1 posts, read 3,967 times
Hi. I am from a small town in Kentucky and I have fallen in love with an Englishman from Leeds. He is planning on moving us to Liverpool after the wedding, and all that ya'll have said has, quite frankly, frightened me a little. Is it really so bad in Liverpool? Should I be trying to convince him to stay in the US?

Old 11-17-2011, 02:28 AM

22,196 posts, read 21,929,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_dreaming View Post
Hi. I am from a small town in Kentucky and I have fallen in love with an Englishman from Leeds. He is planning on moving us to Liverpool after the wedding, and all that ya'll have said has, quite frankly, frightened me a little. Is it really so bad in Liverpool? Should I be trying to convince him to stay in the US?
Ignore the OP.

Liverpool is a great city and has changed so much since 2008, it has attracted large name shops since the construction of its shopping centre, Liverpool One, and its waterfront has been transformed into a fantastic public realm.

Like all cities it has NO GO areas, but stick to your wits and you won't encounter any trouble, Liverpool is actually one of the safest major cities in the UK in terms of absolute crime.

Here are some images of the city to prove what I'm saying is true:

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 11-17-2011 at 02:41 AM..

Old 11-19-2011, 07:33 PM

4,663 posts, read 7,046,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_dreaming View Post

I have just moved from Windsor in the UK to the US. Liverpool IMO is an awful place to live, but different people can find places suit them where others may hate. Most of the UK has become so overpriced that anyone earning less than a fortune has a hard time. Don't expect housing to be anything like you might be used to in KY and expect to pay more for almost everything. You may find a high level of moronic anti-Americanism in the UK too.

I guess try it and if you dint like it you could always return to the US

Old 11-19-2011, 07:48 PM

703 posts, read 944,518 times
Ive family from Liverpool.

The first thing they did when they got the chance was move away from Liverpool.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
I have just moved from Windsor in the UK to the US. Liverpool IMO is an awful place to live, but different people can find places suit them where others may hate. Most of the UK has become so overpriced that anyone earning less than a fortune has a hard time. Don't expect housing to be anything like you might be used to in KY and expect to pay more for almost everything. You may find a high level of moronic anti-Americanism in the UK too.

I guess try it and if you dint like it you could always return to the US
Ive lived in quite a few Northern cities over the past 10 years (back down south now). Liverpool is BY FAR the worst.

Old 11-21-2011, 02:39 AM

472 posts, read 996,949 times
Liverpool worst city in the north
Things to see and do
World Heritage site,World Museum,Museum of Liverpool,Walker Art Gallery,the Bluecoat art centre,FACT (Foundation For Art & Creative Technology),Merseyside Maritime Museum,Tate Liverpool,International Slavery Museum,Contemporary Urban Centre,U-Boat Story,
Half a dozen Theatres,The Beatles Story, home to more listed buildings than any city outside of London, Three Royal Links courses which have hosted endless Open Championships and Ryder Cups. These include Royal Birkdale in Southport and Royal Liverpool at Hoylake on the Wirral,Haydock Park Racecourse,Aintree Racecourse,Two prem football teams,Great shops,100s of bars,clubs.Bored of the city easy day trips Roman Chester,The wonderful Lake district,snowdonia national park,The castles of north Wales.I am not a liverpudlian and have lived in many other UK cities liverpool is as good if not better than any.

Old 11-22-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgin loon View Post
Liverpool worst city in the north
Its not about the architecture. Liverpool *could* be the best city in the North, no doubt about it.

Its the people. Far too many have the same cant do, miserable, negative, inward looking, world owes us a favour chip on their shoulder. Be it Thatcher, Hillsborough, anything, its the 'woe is us' attitude of that city is deeply offputting.

Thats exactly why part of my family got out to London as soon as they could.

What Boris Johnson got a telling off for a few years back is exactly what a lot of people think of Liverpool.

Yeah, i'll be flamed for this, i really don't care. Liverpudlians havent seen reality for the last 35 years or so, theyre not going to start now.

Old 11-22-2011, 10:50 AM

17,374 posts, read 16,570,269 times
Originally Posted by Sky_dreaming
---------------------------------------
As an American there are few cities I would live in, in England. Leeds is no prize either. Stay away from Bradford. I am from the North in the US and we have old, decaying fossil cities of the industrial revolution too and I would never live in one of them either.

If you are from small town Kentucky I think you might like the English countryside--who wouldn't? To someone from your part of the US, England will seem expensive though. I hope your Englishman has money so you can live outside of a city. My Englishman is from Manchester and he liked it there but wanted to live here. NOW he sees what our climate is like compared to the mild climate over there! Now he wants proper British food. Now he sees that we can barely afford housing here in the Northern USA. and TRAVEL??? If we lived in England we could travel to the Caribbean or anywhere in the world for MUCH LESS than from here. From the USA we can't afford to travel at all, actually.

You might want to consider living in the US though if you live in a relatively cheap place like Kentucky. It depends. I know I wouldn't want to live in a depressing dirty run down city in England OR the US--and we have plenty of those in the North of the USA--the old textile mills.

I'll tell you something they don't usually talk about--in England there is strife between the natives and the Pakistanis. Get used to mosques on almost every street corner. It's sort of like the Hispanics here and everything being in Spanish but the Pakistanis are LEGAL at least. Big reason for Brits wanting to leave. Then they come here and see the same situation but with different people! Favoritism, freebies, and political correctness.

All in all, if you like being outdoors a lot and not having to suffer from extreme heat and humidity or freezing cold, if you yearn to travel to Europe and around England, if you like to garden and to take walks, if you don't care that much about shopping, if you hate fast food, if you can learn to drive on the LEFT, if you want to be somewhere within driving distance of the sea, if you are interested in history and love to tour castles and old estates on the weekend--live in England. If you will have enough money to afford private health insurance in addition to the NHS, live in England. If you can tolerate A LOT of people who are on the dole and do nothing all day when they could be working, live in England.

If you are into living in a MacMansion, driving an SUV. going to Disneyworld and eating junk food, stay in the USA.

I, being from the northern USA, would live in the English countryside --if we were rich. If I had to live in Liverpool, I'd prefer to stay here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom