U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2011, 07:14 PM

22,151 posts, read 21,331,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonAreaWeatherSummary View Post
Its not about the architecture. Liverpool *could* be the best city in the North, no doubt about it.

Its the people. Far too many have the same cant do, miserable, negative, inward looking, world owes us a favour chip on their shoulder. Be it Thatcher, Hillsborough, anything, its the 'woe is us' attitude of that city is deeply offputting.

Thats exactly why part of my family got out to London as soon as they could.

What Boris Johnson got a telling off for a few years back is exactly what a lot of people think of Liverpool.

Yeah, i'll be flamed for this, i really don't care. Liverpudlians havent seen reality for the last 35 years or so, theyre not going to start now.
Why would someone want to move from a city that has a miserable, negative outlook on life, to a city that has an ego the size of Jupiter, where its deluded residents truly believe they are the centre of the universe, not to mention rude, pretentious, snobby and downright unpleasant? Baffled.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:13 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,420 posts, read 37,695,049 times
I visited Liverpool a couple years back and didn't think it was all bad. The city center was interesting looking and far from dead. The culture was perhaps a bit unintellectual and unsophicasted, but all in all I thought it was a decent city.

An American city that sustained a similar decline would be likely have a city center that is rather empty of people, dangerous and unappealing to walk in. It was clear there wasn't much money there, but it looked well kept up.

Anyhow, what I really wondered was, where was the decay? From the population figures I looked at, Liverpool has undergone a severe population shortage. I would expect lots of vacant house and decay. Did I miss something? I was mostly in the city center, but I took a local bus from the city center to a nearby suburb several times.

Anyone here have an answer?

Old 11-22-2011, 08:15 PM

All major northern UK cities experienced decay and population decreases from 80's onwards after their industry was effectively killed off. Liverpool used to handle 80% of the worlds shipping trade.

You must have been lucky, as Liverpool has many streets with boarded up houses, though a lot of them have been regenerated. You should actually visit again as there's a lot of construction in Liverpool; their waterside is far from finished.

Actually, what year did you visit? Back in 2008, Liverpool had hardly any big name stores for example, but they now have a large shopping complex in their city centre, which helped a lot.

Old 11-22-2011, 08:33 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
All major northern UK cities experienced decay and population decreases from 80's onwards after their industry was effectively killed off. Liverpool used to handle 80% of the worlds shipping trade.

You must have been lucky, as Liverpool has many streets with boarded up houses, though a lot of them have been regenerated. You should actually visit again as there's a lot of construction in Liverpool; their waterside is far from finished.

Actually, what year did you visit? Back in 2008, Liverpool had hardly any big name stores for example, but they now have a large shopping complex in their city centre, which helped a lot.
January 2009. I remember the shopping complex; thought it was well done.

Old 11-23-2011, 01:57 PM

7,972 posts, read 9,414,302 times
The streets right outside Liverpool FCs ground look very poverty stricken and bleak and no doubt there is a lot more areas like that in Liverpool, but every major city in the UK has these areas. I would say some areas of the UKs major cities are just as bad if not worse than Liverpool.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:21 PM

3,861 posts, read 6,994,197 times
I've been a professional driver in the UK for years now, and there aren't a lot of places I haven't been.

Agreed, Liverpool has some lovely buildings, and the city centre is quite nice, but once you get a bit outside of it, the place is a hole !

Bootle was just a nightmare.
Only been there 3 times, and had my vehicle broken into on every single visit.

In fairness tho, I didn't think Manchester was much better, or Dundee!
I lived in a small village in Scotland until recently, population was maybe 5,000, and even that was plagued with chavs and neds.
They really are the scourge of modern Britain.

I don't think there are really very many larger towns and cities which don't have these problems to some extent or other, so I wouldn't really single out Liverpool more than any other.

However, even having never lived there I can perfectly understand the OP's opinion of the place. Given the choice, I wouldn't want to live there either

Old 11-23-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobman View Post
Agreed, Liverpool has some lovely buildings, and the city centre is quite nice, but once you get a bit outside of it, the place is a hole !
Any streetview links of the bad areas?

Old 11-23-2011, 04:11 PM

3,861 posts, read 6,994,197 times
I didn't really know the places well enough to know the names of the areas, as a driver I was normally just passing through and looking for my destinations.
I tended not to go too far into the housing estates, just passed by them When I was delivering in England it was mostly to retailers, so you just headed straight there by main roads
If anyone wants to research, here's a few names.

I thought Bootle was pretty horrid in Liverpool (to be fair, parts of it, anyway)

Some of the suburbs of Manchester are pretty rough. Salford used to be bad, but they have knocked much of it down and started again !!
Cheetham Hill is another. there's another which starts with an F, but I can't remember it.

Some bits in and around the Leeds are aren't very nice, but I can't remember their names, haven't been there in years
In Edinburgh, Niddrie and Craigmillar.

In Glasgow, it used to be the Gorbals, but now it's maybe Milton.

Dundee, there's a bit around where the football stadiums are, but I can''t remember the name.
In Dundee, they've demolished a lot of the council houses, so a lot of the hooligans have been spread about, There are minor troublespots everywhere.
I'm not sure I'd feel safe in some parts around the Hilltown area at dark o'clock on my own.

Stirling has Raploch.
Aberdeen has Torry and Woodside

This is by no means an exhaustive list, as I say, everywhere has it's problem areas.
There are a few in the old mining towns in Fife, Cowdenbeath High street is like a ghost town, full of boarded up shops.
Rosyth is getting pretty bad for anti social youths, High Valleyfield, parts of Dunfermline

To be fair, if you look at them on street view, they maybe don't look too bad, you aren't going to see boarded up houses, burned out cars and junkies everywhere, but at least in my experience, they are the sorts of places I'd think twice about walking around alone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post

Last edited by bobman; 11-23-2011 at 04:22 PM..

Old 11-23-2011, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Liverpool has nice suburbs..

Liverpool - Google Maps

Woolton - Google Maps

Woolton - Google Maps

Old 11-23-2011, 04:59 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or