U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 11-25-2011, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Fife, Scotland
7,435 posts, read 5,706,119 times
Reputation: 3517

Advertisements

Parts of London, Edinburgh, Bath and York are as beautiful as any city!

 
Old 11-25-2011, 04:20 PM
 
Location: Liverpool
457 posts, read 679,875 times
Reputation: 1844
This Thread has become a bit of a joke , so here's a couple
Question/ why are there no scousers on star trek? Answer/ because they don't want to work in the future either.
Qustion/ what is the biggest mountain in Liverpool? Answer / kill a man for a giro
Question/ What's the difference between a Scouser and a coconut?
Answer/ One's thick and hairy, and the other's a coconut.
 
Old 11-25-2011, 05:52 PM
 
Location: Fife, Scotland
7,435 posts, read 5,706,119 times
Reputation: 3517
Calm down, calm down!
 
Old 11-25-2011, 08:30 PM
 
Location: Leeds, UK
16,054 posts, read 10,576,526 times
Reputation: 6357
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
You've said yourself you haven't done much travelling - every time I've been anywhere in Germanic/Nordic countries I notice how much cleaner, better kept and more colourful cities are over there and how much nicer most of the architecture is, such as in these street scenes (not in Disneyfied tourist traps, I might add, but ordinary provincial cities):
I don't believe that.

Nordic cities are cleaner, clearly, but parts of Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow etc are just as beautiful, if not, far more beautiful, then Nordic cities. I could literally sit here all day posting pictures of major UK cities to debunk your statement. Edinburgh is definitely the standout city here, far more attractive then any Nordic city in my honest opinion.

Besides, most UK cities have more a buzz to them I'd say, when I think of Nordic cities I think of picture-perfect cities that don't change much if at all.

BTW, (most of) the UK is Germanic.
 
Old 11-25-2011, 08:42 PM
 
Location: Leeds, UK
16,054 posts, read 10,576,526 times
Reputation: 6357
A few pictures of Manchester, one of my favourite cities in the whole wide world (second only to Leeds of course )











Doesn't really scream 'dirty' or 'ugly' to me.

Manchester to me could easily pass as the capital of a small European country.
 
Old 11-26-2011, 02:09 AM
 
Location: Yorkshire, England
4,798 posts, read 4,225,771 times
Reputation: 2556
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I don't believe that.

Nordic cities are cleaner, clearly, but parts of Manchester, Liverpool, Glasgow etc are just as beautiful, if not, far more beautiful, then Nordic cities. I could literally sit here all day posting pictures of major UK cities to debunk your statement. Edinburgh is definitely the standout city here, far more attractive then any Nordic city in my honest opinion.

Besides, most UK cities have more a buzz to them I'd say, when I think of Nordic cities I think of picture-perfect cities that don't change much if at all.

BTW, (most of) the UK is Germanic.
You don't believe cities over there are better kept and there's more civic pride? Try actually spending time in some of these places before making a comparison! Within a couple of miles of the newly done-up, shiny city centres up north, and in London too, you get grim concrete post-war housing estates or tiny Victorian sandstone terraces with black coal dust encrusted on them from decades ago, litter every few metres, fat ugly people on benefits everywhere, and areas you wouldn't want to go at night. I spent eight months living in the 'poor, rough part' of an eastern German provincial city and it just wasn't like that - no feeling of danger, no sign of sub-standard housing, virtually no litter and far fewer rough-looking chavvy underclass people than you'd get over here. Perhaps less of a buzz, yes, but a feeling of a higher standard of living.
 
Old 11-26-2011, 04:57 AM
 
16,974 posts, read 10,697,388 times
Reputation: 6580
Many modern big cities around the world are like that, a more or less tidy, touristy downtown, and mediocre housing around it, expect for the richer parts of town. And in many cities destroyed in WWII they don't even have a beautiful downtown, just ugly concrete boxes. In this respect German cities are by and large as ugly or gloomy as British ones.
That's why I prefer smaller cities. I remember visiting East Frisia, it was pretty tidy, lots of green, well-kept homes with beautiful gardens, no litter anywhere - yet is is one of the poorest regions of Germany, but you would never know. And a region closely related to Britain, even their language is somewhere halfway between German and English

I also noticed the large number of "fat ugly people" (although it sounds quite nasty) you mentioned, Brits are Americanizing in terms of weight And the north German stock of many Brits doesn't help, either, on average people in northern Germany don't look so good, either, whether fat or not. There is a clear north-south gradient in my view, that stretches all across Europe actually, imho.
 
Old 11-26-2011, 08:53 AM
 
Location: Altoona, PA
932 posts, read 546,018 times
Reputation: 914
Are you kidding? Liverpool is probably the friendliest large city I've ever been to, even though I only had a day. Very historic downtown and the pics posted show a lot of new development and a growing skyline.
 
Old 11-26-2011, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Liverpool
457 posts, read 679,875 times
Reputation: 1844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Many modern big cities around the world are like that, a more or less tidy, touristy downtown, and mediocre housing around it, expect for the richer parts of town. And in many cities destroyed in WWII they don't even have a beautiful downtown, just ugly concrete boxes. In this respect German cities are by and large as ugly or gloomy as British ones.
That's why I prefer smaller cities. I remember visiting East Frisia, it was pretty tidy, lots of green, well-kept homes with beautiful gardens, no litter anywhere - yet is is one of the poorest regions of Germany, but you would never know. And a region closely related to Britain, even their language is somewhere halfway between German and English

I also noticed the large number of "fat ugly people" (although it sounds quite nasty) you mentioned, Brits are Americanizing in terms of weight And the north German stock of many Brits doesn't help, either, on average people in northern Germany don't look so good, either, whether fat or not. There is a clear north-south gradient in my view, that stretches all across Europe actually, imho.
I am not surprised you prefer small cities. people with a village mentality like yours often do.
 
Old 11-26-2011, 09:46 AM
 
11,384 posts, read 8,627,451 times
Reputation: 8106
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
A few pictures of Manchester, one of my favourite cities in the whole wide world (second only to Leeds of course )

Doesn't really scream 'dirty' or 'ugly' to me.

Manchester to me could easily pass as the capital of a small European country.
They have done a lot to clean Manchester up. I was at Uni there from 1973 - 1977. At the time they were demolishing north Manchester and everything from the City Centre to Failsworth was a wasteland. Salford was not just a slum, it was dangerous, Moss Side and Hulme were also dangerous and Wythenshaw more than lived up to its nickname of 'the Reservation'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2015, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top