Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 06:31 PM

7,964 posts, read 11,808,237 times

Advertisements

quote bobman - "Dundee, there's a bit around where the football stadiums are, but I can''t remember the name.In Dundee, they've demolished a lot of the council houses, so a lot of the hooligans have been spread about, There are minor troublespots everywhere.I'm not sure I'd feel safe in some parts around the Hilltown area at dark o'clock on my own"

Small world bobman! I stay in the Hilltown in Dundee, 4 of the ten 20 storey high rises have been demolished with another 2 coming in the next few years only 4 are staying up and they are being re-developed as we speak. Hopefully that "cleans" up the area a bit because parts are really rough. Theres worse areas in Dundee than the Hilltown though like Lochee, Douglas, Whitfield and Kirkton. I know the Raploch in Stirling well also, have family in Stirling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuRZy1ZhSgY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJ6KnHKe-9I

Old 11-23-2011, 07:39 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,944,104 times
I believe david beckham is from liverpool & thats a negative but the beatles are a positive. If you dont like it in england just move back to the farm in kentucky.

Old 11-23-2011, 08:31 PM

Beckham is from London lol

Old 11-23-2011, 08:35 PM

22,118 posts, read 29,472,614 times
What's wrong with David Beckham anyway.. he's one of the few footballers who isn't a total twit.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:47 PM

9,894 posts, read 21,944,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post
Beckham is from London lol
My mistake. I could care less about beckham as i do soccer. His soccer team (L.A.Galaxy) won the championship. YAWNZ !

Old 11-23-2011, 10:29 PM

So you COULD care less yeah? lol

Old 11-24-2011, 02:39 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,899,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Liverpool has nice suburbs..

It does indeed, but as I said, it's not always really possible to tell from from looking from the outside.

The problem really is the anti social youth. Chavs, neds, call them what you want, but they are rapidly turning towns into no-go areas.

They tend to commit minor crimes, and are more guilty of harassment and intimidation than anything, relatively minor stuff, so it's never recorded in official figures.
It's almost like the US gangs, but they tend to victimise innocents, rather than shooting each other !

But it's the sheer scale of this which is poisoining Britain.
Police have had all their powers stripped away and can do nothing for fear of being accused of brutality or harassment, and the chavs, while not being intelligent enough to string a coherent sentence together, are completely aware of their rights under lhuman rights legislation.
it's their bible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paull805 View Post

Small world bobman! I stay in the Hilltown in Dundee,
I don't think Hilltown was the worst, but you have to agree, it just looks it !
Some nice kebab shops up there !
I used to deliver parcels around the area, and hardly met anyone who spoke English ! (even some of the natives! )

Lochee and Douglas were the others I tried to remember ! Thanks.
Was it Ardler they were moving a lot of the hoolies to, or was Ardler the posh bit ? I can't remember !

I'd heard they were knocking down a lot of the flats, but I've hardly been to Dundee for years since I changed jobs.
I left after my van was broken into and the contents stolen, all in a 3 minute timeframe, in broad daylight in the middle of the day !

That was in Fairbairn street, but I think as a Dundonian you could have probably guessed that !

To be fair to Raploch in Stirling, they have worked quite hard to improve it, there are widescale community schemes, and improvements to housing, it does look much better now.
Problem with it tho is that they are putting the same folks back in the houses.
I know that most of the people in Raploch (and Dundee) are fine, upstanding folks who just want to get about their business.
But there is a hardcore of idiots who ruin it.
If they can get them out, then there's a chance.

Have you been to Cornton recently ?
After they knocked down a lot of the flats around Johnson and Adamson, and built the new houses, they gave them to the people who had the flats, again, there are some good ones, but some of them, not so much !
the new streets quickly started to look like the old ones !

Last edited by bobman; 11-24-2011 at 02:54 AM..

Old 11-24-2011, 08:50 AM

690 posts, read 1,197,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
All major northern UK cities experienced decay and population decreases from 80's onwards after their industry was effectively killed off. Liverpool used to handle 80% of the worlds shipping trade.

You must have been lucky, as Liverpool has many streets with boarded up houses, though a lot of them have been regenerated. You should actually visit again as there's a lot of construction in Liverpool; their waterside is far from finished.

Actually, what year did you visit? Back in 2008, Liverpool had hardly any big name stores for example, but they now have a large shopping complex in their city centre, which helped a lot.
There was a pretty interesting documentary on shipping containers on BBC the other month. It focused on how the vast amount of shipping traffic moved from Places like London (and liverpool) to Harwich/Felixstowe

I got the feeling that if places like Liverpool spent money on actually accomodating modern shipping needs instead of spending it on more bloody shopping malls they might still have some good jobs.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:55 AM

690 posts, read 1,197,675 times
Yeh, we got the whole, Liverpool is aesthetically OK thing and has nice shiny towerblocks. Pity there's no workers to fill them and they were only built to cater for easy money speculators who have no interest in the city other than selling on to other speculators.

35% of city centre flats are empty
icLiverpool - 35% of city centre flats are empty

Old 11-24-2011, 09:08 AM

quote bobman - "I don't think Hilltown was the worst, but you have to agree, it just looks it! I used to deliver parcels around the area, and hardly met anyone who spoke English! (even some of the natives!) Was it Ardler they were moving a lot of the hoolies to, or was Ardler the posh bit? I can't remember!I'd heard they were knocking down a lot of the flats, but I've hardly been to Dundee for years since I changed jobs"

Oh yeah parts of the Hilltown are really bad junkies, "neds", boy racers, drug dealers etc are all over I just hope with the re-development and the demolition of the high rises that that does some good, I stay in the south bit of the Hilltown near the city centre which isn't TO bad but a lot of it's a bit of a hole! Yeah Dundonian is a weird accent if your not from here! Ardler is another bad area similar to the Hilltown with their high rises being demolished.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom