Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 06:01 AM

306 posts, read 1,161,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
But joining the euro would enhance British power and influence. The case for joining is partly economic and partly political. Economically, British companies will not enjoy the full benefits of the European single market as long as they are separated from the main part of that market by a variable exchange rate. The pound is starting to fall making imports more expensive, and the rising markets of China, India, and Russia, with the dollar starting to regain some strength means that Euro business must remain competitive.

British business has a disincentive to export, import and invest in the euro zone while currency fluctuations continue to create risk and uncertainty over future returns. As a result, British companies will be more likely to retain a domestic focus and emphasis, compared with their euro zone competitors. Equally, euro zone companies will have less interest in doing business in Britain. Ultimately, British companies risk missing out on the economies of scale and profit offered by euro zone membership. This will damage the long-term competitiveness of the British economy.
I will agree to disagree with you on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2008, 07:12 AM

521 posts, read 1,472,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
We should have adopted the Euro a few years ago when we were talking about it. Economists all agreed it would be best for our economy, but national pride and a conservative paranoia stopped all that.

As OPEC switches to the Euro, the greenback remains weak, and the pound falls against every currency other than the dollar, our economy will be less resilient than if we had adopted the Euro.
Many economists predicted that the UK staying out of the Euro would destroy are economy. Let me see, erm nope, it would seem that many economists were dead wrong.

I suspect that the pro EU camp have had a hard time keeping quite these last few years but hardly surprising that when the Euro strengthens a bit (in the face of a world down turn) they all come slithering back to the fore.

Should I have a vote (and of course I probably won't be allowed in the same way that I was denied the chance to vote on the Lisbon treaty/EU constitution) then it will be NO.

Old 08-31-2008, 11:18 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,593,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post
Many economists predicted that the UK staying out of the Euro would destroy are economy. Let me see, erm nope, it would seem that many economists were dead wrong.

I suspect that the pro EU camp have had a hard time keeping quite these last few years but hardly surprising that when the Euro strengthens a bit (in the face of a world down turn) they all come slithering back to the fore.

Should I have a vote (and of course I probably won't be allowed in the same way that I was denied the chance to vote on the Lisbon treaty/EU constitution) then it will be NO.
NO!! NO!! NO!! NO!! NO!!,,,,There,,,Those are the votes I`ve been denied in the past, one way or another, when it comes to the EU...It`s dead, and should have been buried with dignity [not that it ever deserved it] long ago...

Old 08-31-2008, 03:16 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,365,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayava View Post
No. The English pound doesn't exist, England is not Britain, but part of the whole.

Despite the current economic climate, the British will no consider joining the Euro. The pound was heavily over-valued at any rate, so its subsequent slide against the dollar is no surprise. Likewise, the Euro is having its own trouble, haven't you noticed everyone is dumping their toxic debt on them by using the ECB's emergency credit facility?
That's what I need, a German telling me what England and Britain are. It's a play on an English song.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:38 AM

109 posts, read 388,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
That's what I need, a German telling me what England and Britain are. It's a play on an English song.
I'm there to access the archives, keep your xenophobia :P

I don't think the EU is dead and I don't feel the concept of a united Europe is all that bad either. Humanity has repeated the same formula for millenia and things are still not working, perhaps it is time to try something else now.

Old 09-03-2008, 09:38 AM

163 posts, read 320,683 times
Either way, if the UK were to switch to the euro I personaly belive it would be a bad thing for this country (no I am not anti-european) However, we SHOULD be given a reforandom on it to see what the vast majority of the public thinks.....I would hate for this useless Government to just go ahaead and do it anyway as they do with most things (lisbon etc) The one person who could stop all this is Her Most Britanic Majesty by refusing to give the royal assent as is her royal perogative to act in the best intrest of this beautful nation and well within her power to do so!!!!

Old 09-03-2008, 09:26 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,365,591 times
Pray she does. One of the reasons Britain is such a strong nation is because it stands up for what is right. There is a history of courage and independence that would be much harder to regain than to sustain.

Old 09-04-2008, 03:46 AM

163 posts, read 320,683 times
Quote:
Pray she does. One of the reasons Britain is such a strong nation is because it stands up for what is right. There is a history of courage and independence that would be much harder to regain than to sustain.

Here Here!!

Old 09-07-2008, 07:27 AM

109 posts, read 388,078 times
Quote:
Rather selective history, have we forgotten Eastern Europe in the 90's and Rwanda?

Old 09-07-2008, 12:24 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,593,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Blue Window View Post
Rather selective history, have we forgotten Eastern Europe in the 90's and Rwanda?
Don`t do that....Or I will get very selective,,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom