Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2023, 08:44 PM

12,946 posts, read 13,325,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Bloody ell that is a lot of beans! (on the pic you posted), looks like she got a tin to herself! You're only supposed to have a spoonful! Looks like they tried 'saving' on their breakfast as much as possible! Loaded it up with the 'cheap' stuff

There is nothing worse than a broken wrist for putting you off your beans! In all seriousness thought I'm sorry she broke her wrist.....and at such an inopportune moment too! Hope it didn't completely ruin her holiday and that it healed nicely for her in the end
Thank you.
We had planned two weeks in England (1 in London, 1 in Perton) with friends and two weeks in France.
On our first full day out after arrival in London we were touring St. Paul’s when she missed a short 3 stair flight while rushing to see Nelson’s crypt. The fall also broke her nose & badly bruised her legs, so we had to rent a wheelchair.
Spent the rest of that day in the ER.
We had to rebook our return flight home after a total of 5 days in London so she could have surgery to repair the bad break.
It took her about two weeks before she could walk unaided.
The titanium plate & screws in her wrist do make a decent barometer for weather changes though.
We just celebrated her 78th birthday last week.
We hope to resume & complete our visit next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2023, 11:46 PM

2,328 posts, read 842,842 times
I was making a hot drink from Bovril and my grand daughter asked what it was. I dipped the spoon into the bottle and then held it out to her. The look on her face I'll never forget. She does like fish and chips sausage rolls though

Old 05-18-2023, 02:44 AM

14,820 posts, read 12,012,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Thank you.
We had planned two weeks in England (1 in London, 1 in Perton) with friends and two weeks in France.
On our first full day out after arrival in London we were touring St. Paul’s when she missed a short 3 stair flight while rushing to see Nelson’s crypt. The fall also broke her nose & badly bruised her legs, so we had to rent a wheelchair.
Spent the rest of that day in the ER.
We had to rebook our return flight home after a total of 5 days in London so she could have surgery to repair the bad break.
It took her about two weeks before she could walk unaided.
The titanium plate & screws in her wrist do make a decent barometer for weather changes though.
We just celebrated her 78th birthday last week.
We hope to resume & complete our visit next year.
Goodness she really did have a bad fall! My mother had a similar fall a couple of years ago, she has plates in her arm, not related to the fall she has new knees, new hips, new hearing aids and just recently she's had a cataracts done (both eyes), I don't think there's much 'original' bits of her left! , she's 78 too.

Old 05-18-2023, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Austen View Post
I was making a hot drink from Bovril and my grand daughter asked what it was. I dipped the spoon into the bottle and then held it out to her. The look on her face I'll never forget. She does like fish and chips sausage rolls though
Bovril makes a fantastic stock, I use it in my shepherds pie, spag bog, chilli's etc.

Old 05-18-2023, 07:05 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Grits are a Southern thing here. Never had them before moving to Texas in 1959 - tried them once, and never since.

I had a full English breakfast at the Hampton Court Palace kitchen in 2018.
The baked beans were a surprise, as I never have cared for them.
My wife had broken her wrist just three days before this, so she wasn’t in the mood for the beans either.
In my experience, Texans don't know how to make grits. LOL Sorry you didn't like them.

I don't care for beans.

Old 05-19-2023, 12:08 PM

2,328 posts, read 842,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Bovril makes a fantastic stock, I use it in my shepherds pie, spag bog, chilli's etc.
I usually have it as a hot drink on chilly winter days. Hard to find here unless you come across a Brit store.

Old 05-19-2023, 10:22 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,006,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Austen View Post
I usually have it as a hot drink on chilly winter days. Hard to find here unless you come across a Brit store.
Try Knorr's OXO Beef In A Mug - it's better than Bovril and available in grocery stores in the states.

Old 05-19-2023, 11:06 PM

537 posts, read 442,904 times
We're leaving for London Monday with our 11 year old.

Hello, McDonalds. That's what she depends on when she's in the U.K.

The food in England is not the most memorable we've had.

Brynley told me last week that she wants to go back to Italy--for the spaghetti. She's in luck as we're flying down to Rome too.

Old 05-20-2023, 02:17 AM

27,127 posts, read 13,424,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJunior View Post

Brynley told me last week that she wants to go back to Italy--for the spaghetti. She's in luck as we're flying down to Rome too.
London has a lot of international food, including some very good Italian restaurants and even if you just want to eat fast food there are plenty of international and US options to choose from and not just McDonalds, and the same applies to home grown fast food and grab and go options. Whilst there are also a number of actual American style restaurants, with many run by Americans in London and they include numerous options including traditional American fare and American BBQ, as well as Tex Mex etc.

London has a large China town, Brick Lane (Indian/Bangladeshi food) and areas relating to the Turkish and Greek Communities (Green Lanes and Palmer's Green), as well as a Little Beirut (Edgware Road area), there is also a significant French Community centred around the South Kensington area with plenty of French brasserie's and cafe's.

In terms of the Italian community they originally settled in the Saffron Hill area of Clerkenwell, which was London's original 'Little Italy', however they later moved to other areas in London bringing with them a lot of very good genuine Italian food and deli's, as well as Italian chains, and there is a vast Eataly on Bishopsgate in the city.

There are also numerous other ethnic enclaves from Little India, in relation to Southall or the Indian restaurants in Tooting, through to Afro-Caribbean food in Brixton or the African food in Peckham or even South American communities in areas such as the Elephant and Castle or Camden, whilst there is a significant Jewish community, which is most prevalent in parts of North London.

In terms of Japanese and Asian food it is very popular in the UK, and there are lots of options, including chains.

As for some of the stereotypes regarding British food, they are often outdated and don't represent the choice or quality of food on offer, or the many very food markets that you can explore in cities such as London.

Last edited by Brave New World; 05-20-2023 at 02:51 AM..

Old 05-20-2023, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeJunior View Post

You can get ANY type of food that's available on the planet in London, anything from street stalls to Michelin restaurants. If you are only eating at a McDonalds then I suggest you are not looking very hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom