Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2008, 07:58 PM

8 posts, read 34,309 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about living in Reading? My family and I are considering moving to the UK, but really cannot afford London... We visited Reading which is approx 30 min away by train. I would like to know more about the town, is it a nice place to live and raise children, how are the schools...etc...

Any information would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 05:00 AM

113 posts, read 1,312,325 times
Reading was voted one of the worst places to raise a family :

BBC NEWS | UK | Scots areas top happy family poll

I live in a village about 10 miles from Reading and the only reason I ever go there is to shop at the Oracle mall, most people complain about the crime, traffic, it is a pretty grim place. I would recommend Wokingham over Reading, its not as big but it was voted one of the best places to live in the UK and it is not too far from Reading.

Old 06-06-2008, 06:17 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,549,222 times
I hate Reading itself, no character, quite high crime, etc.. but the area is quite beautiful and has some lovely places to live.

I would recommend Woking, Henley or Marlow all lovely places or some of the beautiful villages around.

Old 06-08-2008, 05:03 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,928,563 times
As much as I hate Reading, its still a million times better than slough.
The only reason I go there is to visit my friends at TVU and buy from the waterstones there.

I live in Bracknell atm which is ok though I preferred my experiences living in Crowthorne or Leamington spa

Old 06-12-2008, 05:58 AM

12 posts, read 29,117 times
I agree with connie&dave Reading is not a place you want to raise a family...visiting there is very different than living there. I would say Wokingham or Marlow. Are you looking for a more populated area to live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom