U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 10:20 AM

421 posts, read 214,202 times

Advertisements

I post on a couple of international forums. My general observations are:

The French just really hate George Bush.

The British hate George Bush and blame him for all their personal problems, and are rabid in their support for Obama.

The Germans are the most level headed, quietly saying that McCain will probably be best.

What's interesting though is when the English are asked if they like Obama so much, would they like to see him running their own country, they all become dead silent. I think that says a lot.

Old 06-21-2008, 01:24 PM

3,531 posts, read 890,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post

The British hate George Bush and blame him for all their personal problems, and are rabid in their support for Obama.

The Germans are the most level headed, quietly saying that McCain will probably be best.

What's interesting though is when the English are asked if they like Obama so much, would they like to see him running their own country, they all become dead silent. I think that says a lot.
On your first point..WRONG and WRONG.... We don`t all want to see Obama or McCain..I think the UK is as divided as you are...

You are on the right track with the Germans..The bit about having a flat head was spot on...The EU is passing a law as we sit, on it being illegal to have a pointy one...BE WARNED!! The EU want world domination!! And flat heads!!

Old 06-21-2008, 01:32 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,835,981 times
Never trust any politician over the age of twenty! For president, I vote Shaggy over Scooby!!

Old 06-22-2008, 03:53 AM

3,633 posts, read 4,283,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
Maybe Obama would do well to watch Brit MPs perform ad-lib to get some idea. A good starting place might be George Galloway`s performance in front of the Senate Commitee...He tore them to shreds.

YouTube - George Galloway vs. U.S Senate (5/17/05)

George Galloway is a huge supporter of Obama for precisely those reasons
YouTube - George Galloway Barack Obama although I don't think Obama could learn much from Galloway's performance on Big Brother now could he

If you watch any of the debates between Obama and Clinton you would have seen how well they really could perform.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
I don't think Obama could learn much from Galloway's performance on Big Brother now could he
Did you really have to mention that?? I had a very pleasant day planned, with a certain amount of Speckled Hen involved..I feel decidedly bilious now with that vision...

Old 06-22-2008, 07:51 AM

30,933 posts, read 19,169,755 times
In general the points in favor of McCain are that he is a moderate, see's issues in shades of grey (where Bush's black/white world view caused problems) and has as strong of a history of reaching across the isle (working with the other party) as most anyone in politics.

Obama is a great orator and a cagey politician. Where I am curious is whether he is just talking the talk or on what issues does he truly intend action.

As an example, Hillary talked about "taking those oil company profits" which right or wrong....she didnt follow through on as a senator. (Both parties do this...promise to their base even though its not going to really get done because sometimes the base is stupid and you have to talk nice to them even if what they want would be a bad move...ie) repealling NAFTA)

So, Obama I like for his energy and perhaps that his presidency would help to heal some racial wounds and serve as a good example for other nations...he is somewhat of a cheerleader but Reagan was too.

P.S. Brits in particular...I remember Tony Blair stating that Colin Powell would never have gotten where he was in england and with the Obama comments here...basically is that a fair assessment?

Old 06-22-2008, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

P.S. Brits in particular...I remember Tony Blair stating that Colin Powell would never have gotten where he was in england and with the Obama comments here...basically is that a fair assessment?
It would be if you could add the odd full stop or comma. Or better still fill in the spaces..I`m thick, and lost on that statement, but am willing to listen...

Old 06-22-2008, 02:39 PM

3,633 posts, read 4,283,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
It would be if you could add the odd full stop or comma. Or better still fill in the spaces..I`m thick, and lost on that statement, but am willing to listen...

Me too!

Old 06-22-2008, 07:37 PM

681 posts, read 1,808,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1979 View Post
Out of curiosity, what is an MP? I know a PM is a Prime Minister, and over here, I've only heard MP in reference to Military Police.
Out of embarrassment I'll respond. An MP is a Member of Parliament. Think CongressPerson.

And I agree with LINCOLNSHIRE. Mathguy, a little punctuation and/or a complete thought or two just might aid communication.

Cheers

Old 06-22-2008, 11:51 PM

634 posts, read 1,576,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklyn View Post
Out of embarrassment I'll respond. An MP is a Member of Parliament. Think CongressPerson.
Ah, good, good.

Out of embarrassment? No, no need to be embarrassed. I use acronyms all the time in my line of work, and will have laymen ask me to spell it out from time to time. I did wonder some time after the post if it meant Member of Parliment, but figured it's just better to have someone tell me than make the assumption. I've got thick skin; I'll take the digs for stupid questions.

Mr. Galloway does seem very well spoken, sharp, and crystal clear with his message. Even though I'm not in total agreement with him, I can definitely respect what he has to say. With a quick perusal of other YouTube videos, it also appears he has his own radio program?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom