Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 05:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,089 times

Advertisements

I think that the situation of decreasing of prices is temporary and I'm sure this problem will be solved very soon. Experience shows that such events never last long. I think we shouldn't succumb to the panic and the words someone said that it will last for the next two or three years. I'm sure that this is not true because there are people who'll prevent it from staying this way so it can't become a bigger problem. Real estates have always been a good investment and it will be so for future too. I think that the people who sell now are losing and i think now's the time to buy. This is not only for The UK, but for Bulgaria too and all countries that are members of the EU. I'll be glad if someone asks why i'm thinking like this and I'll be happier to see people that share my oppinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2008, 05:51 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,323,521 times
Please think long and hard before buying in the UK. Prices are dropping in all areas, regardless of the claims of some to be in immune from this.

It is not even the level of losses you might sustain, but the fact that you will be unable to find any buyer at any price due to the unavailability of credit.

However, having said all that, population levels are rising rapidly due to immigration, with house building levels at an all time low. So if you can wait a couple of years for the market to bottom out, and are in property for the long term, it could still be a good investment.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:48 PM

352 posts, read 1,425,303 times
Over the years I have made good money on a few houses in the UK however right now I have a flat in London SE1 and have dropped it 20% and still cannot sell. Friends are in the same postion. Rents have also dropped in London. Do not buy in the UK right now, houses are way overpriced and heading down fast. I would think a 25% drop is on the cards at least between now and 2010. Anyone who buys now will get destroyed short to medium term (less than 5 years). Ireland, Spain etc are in even worse shape. Vested interests may tell you otherwise but do some due dilligence before making a bad decision...........

I also almost fell out of my chair at a poster in this thread saying that a return of 371% is to be expected over the next 10 years. If that was true then we might as well all give up work and just buy houses. Fact is that the " bigger fool" years are over in the UK property market and I for one would not recomend anyone being the last fool entering the room.

Anyone who doubts this check out this link www.housepricecrash.co.uk especially the recent anecdotal evidence forum.

Last edited by blackrabbit; 10-06-2008 at 08:00 PM..

Old 10-07-2008, 04:56 AM

575 posts, read 3,132,519 times
The UK property market is declining for houses that are greatly over valued. The tightening of mortgages, higher unemployment, and lack of bonuses and pay raises as businesses fall will only exacerbate the drop in prices. Inventory is increasing as people cannot afford to live in the houses which decrease the prices of surrounding properties. There are many neighborhoods in different towns in the UK I have been in where you see row after row of forsale signs, you would think you are standing at the United Nations building with rows of flags.

The fact is that its over, and people just have to accept it. All the speculators need to leave the market as gaining 25% in one year will not happen anymore. Look at the mess the world is in financially!

Old 10-07-2008, 07:26 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,304 times
I'd say go for it, but it depends where you want to live. My house in Scotland has not lost its value at all which is good.

You get more for yer money up here and more land.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:37 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,323,521 times
Scotslass, I sugest you go to google news and enter "Scottish house prices" before advising people to invest in property. Seriously. Unless you are one of those numerous people who think their area is immune from the global financial crisis.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:26 PM

352 posts, read 1,425,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
I'd say go for it, but it depends where you want to live. My house in Scotland has not lost its value at all which is good.

You get more for yer money up here and more land.
But is the earnings to price ratio any better?

I think 6 months form now Scotland will be following England down.

Old 10-07-2008, 03:46 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrabbit View Post
But is the earnings to price ratio any better?

I think 6 months form now Scotland will be following England down.
Well my house is worth £300,000 it was valued not long ago. Surely not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom