Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 06:44 AM

5 posts, read 11,686 times

Advertisements

Hia all,
I've been dreaming of moving to England and living there since I was a kid. And now I'm getting older, I'm getting closer to the part where I actually can go there. The only problem is, I have no idea how and what to do.
I've been looking on all kinds of forums, websites, etc. for information for a few months now. But I just can't seem to find the right information.
I wonder if any of you have moved from a country of the EU to England, and maybe you could give me some advice, information or facts that I need to know?

Every kind of information, stories, advice etc are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 07:28 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,233,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonies View Post
Hia all,
I've been dreaming of moving to England and living there since I was a kid. And now I'm getting older, I'm getting closer to the part where I actually can go there. The only problem is, I have no idea how and what to do.
I've been looking on all kinds of forums, websites, etc. for information for a few months now. But I just can't seem to find the right information.
I wonder if any of you have moved from a country of the EU to England, and maybe you could give me some advice, information or facts that I need to know?

I'd have a good browse through the old threads in this UK forum - there have been tons of queries like this that have been answered pretty thoroughly. If you've then got any specific questions that haven't been covered you could come back and post another question for clarification.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:31 AM
RH1

This one might be a good start: Moving to Britain from America

Old 06-16-2008, 07:32 AM
RH1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH1 View Post
This one might be a good start: Moving to Britain from America
[sorry - I know you're not in America but I assume it'll at least have some useful info. Can't edit my posts any more - grrr!]

Old 06-16-2008, 07:46 AM

Ah tyvm

Im wondering, is it the best to know someone in england to help you out, get to know how it is there, someone who can help you get a roof over your head etc. Or is it also doable on your own, completely new, for a complete fresh start?

Old 06-16-2008, 10:45 AM

605 posts, read 2,380,281 times
Quote:
Hia all,

Hmmm... more specifics required I think. How old are you? Are you looking to work or retire in the UK? What languages do you speak and what is your work experience?

There are companies in the UK who need language skills. Given that these skills are scarce in the UK they may be able to offer help and advice, and you could even get the chance to work alongside fellow countrymen who could "show you the ropes". There are several employment agencies in London that specialize in filling multi-lingual roles, and these could be a good start if it's employment you're looking for.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:50 PM

At the moment I'm 18 years old, as i'm turning 19 pretty soon. But I'm looking for work and a place to stay in the UK.
I actually have studied languages like french, german, english and dutch (wich is my main language), also my studies were more for office work, like a kind of bookkeeping, secretaria and those kind of stuff.

if this is any help
anyways, to be honest every kind of job is okay for me, from waitress to .. I don't know, as long as I can earn a living and... I can always move on, looking for another job when i have some more experience in the UK.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:28 AM
RH1

Quote:
Ah tyvm

Im wondering, is it the best to know someone in england to help you out, get to know how it is there, someone who can help you get a roof over your head etc. Or is it also doable on your own, completely new, for a complete fresh start?
Well I would imagine that if you knew someone here already then that would inevitably make things easier. But it depends whether you know anyone or not! I'm not really qualified to advise though, never having done it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonrob View Post
Hmmm... more specifics required I think. How old are you? Are you looking to work or retire in the UK? What languages do you speak and what is your work experience?

There are companies in the UK who need language skills. Given that these skills are scarce in the UK they may be able to offer help and advice, and you could even get the chance to work alongside fellow countrymen who could "show you the ropes". There are several employment agencies in London that specialize in filling multi-lingual roles, and these could be a good start if it's employment you're looking for.
I think this is a good point - multi-lingual skills are bound to be useful to any company with overseas clients. Your written English seems very good as well - good start!

Old 06-17-2008, 05:04 AM

605 posts, read 2,380,281 times
Quote:
At the moment I'm 18 years old, as i'm turning 19 pretty soon. But I'm looking for work and a place to stay in the UK.
I actually have studied languages like french, german, english and dutch (wich is my main language), also my studies were more for office work, like a kind of bookkeeping, secretaria and those kind of stuff.

if this is any help
anyways, to be honest every kind of job is okay for me, from waitress to .. I don't know, as long as I can earn a living and... I can always move on, looking for another job when i have some more experience in the UK.
You'll almost certainly get a higher rate of pay if you can get a job that requires use of your languages. No greater effort on your part as it's a skill you already have so you should definitely consider this. A quick Google search will throw some suitable agencies out and you can start your enquiries there.

Anyone from the UK could do waitressing so the pay will be lower.

Old 06-19-2008, 12:15 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,932,494 times
The paperwork to actually work in the UK is formidable. I was seconded there a few years ago and, fortunately, since my company was requesting me to live there, they took care of the paperwork.

HOWEVER, it is not as comfortable a life as you find in the US. Homes and apartments are generally smaller (yes, OK, Windsor Castle has some huge rooms, but GENERALLY for the vast majority, homes are small!). And shopping for perishables is something that is done several times a week, as the average UK home has only a little under-the-counter refrigerator (see 'Keeping Up Appearances'). The amenities we take for granted are often not available or only available as luxuries.

Oh, one more thing: DO NOT GET YOUR DENTAL CARE there. The dentists know only ONE procedure: extraction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom