Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 07:19 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,766,608 times

Advertisements

Typical Response tonrob..
No need for a debate or actual viewpoint just throw labels like bigot,racist!
You are so in favor of Illegal Immigration(it appears)And Political Correctness.
Whats your Agenda?Whats the motivation?

Old 07-10-2008, 09:15 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
P.C. Madness is a huge problem in the UK as well.
What about groups protesting and making terrorist threats?
Holding signs saying "Bomb UK"and "England your 9/11 is coming"
Those people arrested?No! But you might be charged with hate speech if..
You criticize a religon other than Christianity!
And the Bishop?in Canterbury who said Sharia law might not be a bad idea lol

Laws in England do not recognize hate speech and the encouragment of violence as free speech. People have been arrested and charged under laws within our terrorism acts. Nick Griffin was also refused to publicly speak at Oxford University as they deemed it as potential hate speech. This was upheld in court.

I do agree with you on the Archbishop's comments though. The english legal system is one of the oldest and most respected in the world. Recognizing sharia law would be an insult to a centuries old system, and would not require certain people to adhere to these laws depending on their beliefs and traditions.

Old 07-10-2008, 11:02 AM

605 posts, read 2,380,781 times
Quote:
Typical Response tonrob..
No need for a debate or actual viewpoint just throw labels like bigot,racist!
You are so in favor of Illegal Immigration(it appears)And Political Correctness.
Whats your Agenda?Whats the motivation?
Why on earth would you say that I am in favour of illegal immigration? That just doesn't make any sense. You use the word 'typical' as if you'd be following my posts, but if you had you'd see that many of them concern the sharing of advice on how to immigrate legally to the U.S. and to discourage those who would try to do it illegally either there or anywhere else.

I enjoy, as I'm assuming we all do, reading and contributing to City Data but the extent to which certain "hot" issues get dramatized you would think the sky was falling down. I appreciate that people's emotions run high and this can cloud objectivity but the way in which the facts get twisted and distorted sometimes gets a bit much.

On occasion when my own emotions get triggered I will make a comment such as the one you've called me on. From my standpoint (yes, I get to have one of those too) labelling some people ill-informed bigots is far more rational and accurate than the blanket labelling of (by inference, all) Muslims as being evil and wanting to take over. Go to the U.S.-centric 'Immigration' section and see exactly the same tirade against Mexicans. It's entirely nonsensical to take any group so vast and try to attribute characteristics of some of the group to the entirety. There seems to be a kind of "seige mentality" in both the U.S. and the UK right now, fuelled by the media and alive and well on certain threads like this.

At the end of the day people come to forums like CD for conversation and the sharing of opinions (and these are some of mine). To me it's borderline racist at times but hey, this is the internet, and if the mods allow it then who am I to argue?

Old 07-10-2008, 12:45 PM

352 posts, read 1,425,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyblackjohn View Post
Interesting thread. I see that you in the U.K. have many of the same problems as we in the States.
Its not as bad in the states I would say. At least IMHO most of your immigrants seem to want to be American, to work and are Christian.

In the UK many come here for handouts and then want to change our laws to suit their own beliefs and drag the country back into the 3rd world..

Old 07-10-2008, 07:19 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,362,090 times
Thought you might be interested in this link. I found it quite interesting.

The American Expatriate: The fall and rise of British patriotism

Old 07-11-2008, 02:32 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrabbit View Post
Its not as bad in the states I would say. At least IMHO most of your immigrants seem to want to be American, to work and are Christian.

In the UK many come here for handouts and then want to change our laws to suit their own beliefs and drag the country back into the 3rd world..

What total nonsense. What difference does being a Christian make? Immigration in the US is not a good or bad thing dependent on religious beliefs.

As for England becoming 3rd world due to immigrants... what is this opinion based on?

Old 07-11-2008, 06:23 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,309,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackrabbit View Post

Just like the Uk there are some pockets of immigrants to the US that don't assimilate and stick to the ways of the motherland. When people of the Caribbean were encouraged to immigrate to the UK when it need rebuilding after WWII they brought their Christianity. Same can be said for a lot of Eastern Europeans who have practically boosted the number of Catholics in this country. As for those coming here for handouts blame the government for making it so government easy as well as.

Old 07-11-2008, 07:32 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,766,608 times
Tonrob,
I said you were probably pro-illegal because you threw the Bigot label out there.
Thats one tactic the Pro-Illegal crowd uses.
I agree people on both sides can take things too far and some comments are..
Borderline.
And to the earlier comment, people in Europe ARE being put in Jail for comments
Being critical to Islam.Bridget Bardot for example.(she was charged with a crime)
Someone making anti-christian comments would not be charged.

Old 07-11-2008, 08:04 AM

605 posts, read 2,380,781 times
Quote:
Tonrob,
I said you were probably pro-illegal because you threw the Bigot label out there.
Thats one tactic the Pro-Illegal crowd uses.
I agree people on both sides can take things too far and some comments are..
Borderline.
And to the earlier comment, people in Europe ARE being put in Jail for comments
Being critical to Islam.Bridget Bardot for example.(she was charged with a crime)
Someone making anti-christian comments would not be charged.
Ok - truce.

Yes, a number of countries do have laws regarding public statements "that provoke racial hatred" and the like, and I'm sure these get enforced in all sorts of inconsistent ways (as do most laws). I don't think this is anything new or particular to comments against Islam though.

I know it's Wikipedia, but on the assumption that some of it's correct then the list is long and the groups that are protected broad:

Hate crime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-11-2008, 08:21 AM

352 posts, read 1,425,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
What total nonsense. What difference does being a Christian make? Immigration in the US is not a good or bad thing dependent on religious beliefs.

As for England becoming 3rd world due to immigrants... what is this opinion based on?
What difference does it make? How can you seriously say that Muslims aren't pushing their religious agenda in the UK to the detriment of everyone else. It may be un PC to say so but their religion is what is causing problems.

You say you live in Windsor, what about all the problems in your area over the illegal Mosque and the riots/fighting afterwards which according to police reports was caused by Muslim youths attacking locals? Would this of happened 20 years ago when we didn't import these people and cow tow to their every need?

As for the UK becoming the 3rd world do you think "honor killings", similar crimes and Sharia Law that we have imported has any place in the modern world.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 07-11-2008 at 09:42 PM.. Reason: personal attack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom