Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2008, 01:34 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,023,117 times

Advertisements

The best Philly Cheesesteak that I ever had was from the White House.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 03:41 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,308,960 times
Responding to the thread started by the guy in Manhattan reminded me for some reason of Paul Prudhomme and I've decided this christmas I'm going to bake a couple of sweet potato pies (not common in the UK), I say some beccause two will be for the family and others will be for friends. I bought a great big cook book of his about 20 years ago baked a sweet potato pie for the first time and made chantilly cream for the first time. Can't wait.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:30 PM

202 posts, read 359,021 times
I love bacon baps. It sounds so simple, but they just don't have that kind of bacon in the States (that I've seen).

I'm not a huge fan of Cadbury's because I think it's too sweet; however, British Snickers bars taste better than American ones. I don't why, they just do.

It's harder to find salt & vinegar crisps in the States.

When I first had chips here in the UK, I couldn't believe it! A fried potato that actually TASTES like a POTATO!!! When I go back to the US, I think I will miss chips slathered in salt & malt vinegar the most.

I've been really sad about the fact that I won't get chocolate Yazoo back in the States, as I have developed a "slight" addiction for it. Then my friend from Texas tells me they have it in the US! But, unfortunately, Texas is probably about 1,000 miles from Iowa...

Lemonade squash!!! Much better than American lemonade, which I was fine with for the 20 years before I came to the UK!

Prawn crackers - they come at the Chinese restaurant here in town. I have NEVER seen them in the US...No idea what that's about.

Yorkshire puddings with gravy!!!!!! Oh my gosh...they're amazing.

Last edited by RdytoGo; 12-04-2008 at 08:42 PM..

Old 12-05-2008, 12:22 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,704,793 times
The only vegetables served up at some of the restaurants I visited in the states were deep fried.
And I believe that US beef contains growth hormone and is banned in Europe.
The best food I ate in the states was in Ashland Oregon in a pub called the Black Sheep.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:49 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,115,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
The only vegetables served up at some of the restaurants I visited in the states were deep fried.
And I believe that US beef contains growth hormone and is banned in Europe.
The best food I ate in the states was in Ashland Oregon in a pub called the Black Sheep.
Do they seriously put that stuff in their beef? I thought they used the best in the world? Aberdeen angus beef?

Now I know why our steaks as so small and theirs aren't

Old 12-05-2008, 05:21 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,869,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdytoGo View Post
I love bacon baps. It sounds so simple, but they just don't have that kind of bacon in the States (that I've seen).
You mean "canadian bacon" aka back bacon?

I just can't get into the whole vinegar thing.

But I have gotten into mayo on chips.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:23 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,308,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RdytoGo View Post

I'm not a huge fan of Cadbury's because I think it's too sweet; however, British Snickers bars taste better than American ones. I don't why, they just do.

It's harder to find salt & vinegar crisps in the States.

When I first had chips here in the UK, I couldn't believe it! A fried potato that actually TASTES like a POTATO!!! When I go back to the US, I think I will miss chips slathered in salt & malt vinegar the most.

I've been really sad about the fact that I won't get chocolate Yazoo back in the States, as I have developed a "slight" addiction for it. Then my friend from Texas tells me they have it in the US! But, unfortunately, Texas is probably about 1,000 miles from Iowa...

Lemonade squash!!! Much better than American lemonade, which I was fine with for the 20 years before I came to the UK!

Prawn crackers - they come at the Chinese restaurant here in town. I have NEVER seen them in the US...No idea what that's about.

Yorkshire puddings with gravy!!!!!! Oh my gosh...they're amazing.
I'm not a bacon person and rarely every buy it unless I'm going to use it as flavour ins omehting I cook, but I got the most insane craving for it las t week while I suffered through a cold. After reading your post this morning I bought some baps and danish bacon, smeared the bap with brown sauce and ate two today at tea time. As a result I went without any dinner but it was worth it

Easy on the Lemonade squash....that stuff is bad for you, but I'm with you on yorkshire pudding and gravy.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:41 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
I saw an episode of Bizarre Foods and y'all UK folk eat stuff like Haggis, Ox hearts with bone marrow, pigeons, soup with hare in it, etc. I think I'll stick with fish in chips if I were to visit. Herring roe, yuck.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:59 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,747,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
I saw an episode of Bizarre Foods and y'all UK folk eat stuff like Haggis, Ox hearts with bone marrow, pigeons, soup with hare in it, etc. I think I'll stick with fish in chips if I were to visit. Herring roe, yuck.

This might be like assuming all US Southerners exist solely on adiet of chitlins, corn pone, and collard greens.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:12 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,643,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
This might be like assuming all US Southerners exist solely on adiet of chitlins, corn pone, and collard greens.
Chitlins are bizarre, I don't touch that stuff. I don't know what corn pone is but greens are good. I see your point but seriously I don't know what kind of foods are eaten over there so enlighten me if you feel like it; what's common over there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom