U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-06-2008, 12:46 AM

2,940 posts, read 5,175,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Summers View Post
Chitlins are bizarre, I don't touch that stuff. I don't know what corn pone is but greens are good. I see your point but seriously I don't know what kind of foods are eaten over there so enlighten me if you feel like it; what's common over there?
I'd recommend googling "Scottish food" its easier than us listing them all.

We eat alot of meats here.

Scotch pies, sausage rolls, potato scones (always in a Scottish brekfast). Haggis (the obvious one, never tried it heard its nice)

Speaking on behalf of my mixed family (Scottish and Italian) i'd say we eat alot of roast beef, steaks, fish, and Italian food
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 08:19 AM

2,758 posts, read 3,435,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
I'd recommend googling "Scottish food" its easier than us listing them all.

We eat alot of meats here.

Scotch pies, sausage rolls, potato scones (always in a Scottish brekfast). Haggis (the obvious one, never tried it heard its nice)

Speaking on behalf of my mixed family (Scottish and Italian) i'd say we eat alot of roast beef, steaks, fish, and Italian food
I hope I didn't offend anyone; rural US Southerners eat stuff like squirrel, rabbit, and I heard opossum so that wasn't a diss to the UK at all. I bet the meat pies are good and I had some scones at the Atlanta Bread Company but they were not authentic so I'd put money on the UK having better scones. I saw how haggis is made and what's in it and unless I was starving I wouldn't eat that but I do understand that it's big over there. I love roast beef, fish, steak, and Italian food's the best type of food in the world so I'd say that y'all eat good over there. Hey Scotslass, have you ever had that hare stew? I think it's traditional Scottish food (I'm open to trying it).

Old 12-06-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I hope I didn't offend anyone; rural US Southerners eat stuff like squirrel, rabbit, and I heard opossum so that wasn't a diss to the UK at all. I bet the meat pies are good and I had some scones at the Atlanta Bread Company but they were not authentic so I'd put money on the UK having better scones. I saw how haggis is made and what's in it and unless I was starving I wouldn't eat that but I do understand that it's big over there. I love roast beef, fish, steak, and Italian food's the best type of food in the world so I'd say that y'all eat good over there. Hey Scotslass, have you ever had that hare stew? I think it's traditional Scottish food (I'm open to trying it).
I hunt alot so i eat alot of game. I love to make venison burgers. Hare stew is nice. I prefer to eat venison as its healthier than beef. Although our Aberdeen angus beef is the best but we have pleanty of roe, red deer here. I don't like to waste opportunities and good food ha

Alot of people here eat stew, mince with tatties etc. We are big meat eaters. Seafood is popular here too, especially salmon and crab, lobster etc. Good quality fishing and hunting in Scotland.

My fiance is southern so we try to make some good country cooking too like hush puppies with biscuits and gravy. I love my food.

I admit I do love my families home cooking (Italian food) especially Gnocchi.

Old 12-06-2008, 11:43 AM

3,531 posts, read 890,005 times
Quote:
I hope I didn't offend anyone; rural US Southerners eat stuff like squirrel, rabbit, and I heard opossum
No probs there old lad..I eat rabbit all the time, home shot, and we have been eating squirrel for a while, although it uses more gas than it`s worth in my opinion.. Cook 3 or 4 at a time and it`s ok..Don`t run away with any daft ideas though..We still shop at M and S....

Old 12-06-2008, 11:59 AM

606 posts, read 868,725 times
Has noone mentioned blood sausage? I break all my usual semi-vegetarian habits for this. I crave it, and can't find it in Illinois.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:14 PM

3,531 posts, read 890,005 times
What you waiting for??? Try White pudding while you`re there....

Donnelly's Irish Style Black Pudding 8oz: Food Ireland - Irish Food & Gift Store

Old 12-06-2008, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
No probs there old lad..I eat rabbit all the time, home shot, and we have been eating squirrel for a while, although it uses more gas than it`s worth in my opinion.. Cook 3 or 4 at a time and it`s ok..Don`t run away with any daft ideas though..We still shop at M and S....
I'm coming hunting with you

We eat alot of venison and wood pigeon.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:58 PM

2,758 posts, read 3,435,993 times
Quote:
I'm coming hunting with you

We eat alot of venison and wood pigeon.
The problem with me is that the only birds I eat are chicken and turkey; I had some duck on a cruise I went on and I just didn't care for it (I had second thoughts of eating it). I usually just stick to the better cuts of beef, pork, poultry, and I love seafood (the common stuff). I'm not into visceral foods (haggis) at all (that would turn me into a vegetarian quick) but if someone told me what it was after I'd eaten it than I may eat whatever stew was cooked. How's pigeon taste? Is it gamey or earthy as Andrew Zimmern would describe it?

Last edited by David Alleyne; 12-06-2008 at 11:08 PM..

Old 12-07-2008, 04:15 AM

Quote:
The problem with me is that the only birds I eat are chicken and turkey; I had some duck on a cruise I went on and I just didn't care for it (I had second thoughts of eating it). I usually just stick to the better cuts of beef, pork, poultry, and I love seafood (the common stuff). I'm not into visceral foods (haggis) at all (that would turn me into a vegetarian quick) but if someone told me what it was after I'd eaten it than I may eat whatever stew was cooked. How's pigeon taste? Is it gamey or earthy as Andrew Zimmern would describe it?
Wood pigeon is a rural game bird which is very abundant here. It's a big bird too and tastes very gamey, its a dark red meat.

We shot 20 in one day at my friends farm (bad score) on a good day we'll get 100 birds.

I've never tried haggis so i couldn't comment but there are alot of folk that say its spicy...

I've been scouting for pheasant (Christmas dinner) couldn't find any, i think they're hiding from me

I love most seafood, prawns, crawfish, lobster, crab - most fish.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:34 AM

510 posts, read 972,313 times
Quote:
Wood pigeon is a rural game bird which is very abundant here. It's a big bird too and tastes very gamey, its a dark red meat.

We shot 20 in one day at my friends farm (bad score) on a good day we'll get 100 birds.

I've never tried haggis so i couldn't comment but there are alot of folk that say its spicy....
Can I stick up for haggis. I also hate offal and never eat it as a rule but I like to try most things once. I have to say that haggis is damn tasty. Forget what's in it and just focus on the taste - it didn't taste of offal to me and it's great with a nice whisky sauce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom