Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 12:34 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
True, but it smells and tastes bad. Therefore, it won't find its way on this Yank's plate. Sorry!
Does not! Or at least not the way I cook it

Millie61: I live in Colorado and we not have one single IKEA in the entire state! The nearest is a 500-mile drive away in Utah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 06:55 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,845,129 times
I had some great liver and onions in a Perkins restaurant a couple of weeks ago.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:04 PM

9 posts, read 38,245 times
So funny how the British miss the food more than anything else. I desperately crave Steak Puddings (a northern delicacy) plus Real Cream cakes!

I have found numerous Fish and Chip places but they don't seem to have it 'quite right'

The biggest thing I miss is a Warburtons Toastie Loaf. Although White Mountain Bread from Publix is as close as you are going to get to UK bread, it only last around 24 hours before becoming too dry to do anything with.

Old 07-24-2008, 07:31 PM

mmmmmmmmmmm Publix. Love their seafood salad. Don't get that in the supermarkets in the UK. I was given a taster of their new horseradish cheese and roast beef. They cut off a huge slice of both. I asked if i could get a roll and they could stick it in there. LOL. lucky if you get a tiny taster in the UK.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:09 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,747,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Does not! Or at least not the way I cook it

Millie61: I live in Colorado and we not have one single IKEA in the entire state! The nearest is a 500-mile drive away in Utah.

In which case I suggest you get at least three jars when you make the trip.

Old 07-25-2008, 05:40 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,604,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I had some great liver and onions in a Perkins restaurant a couple of weeks ago.
The real American way to eat Liver is with Bacon and Onions. Soak the liver in milk over night.... coat the liver lightly with flour and fry it. Then add fried onions and american or "streaky" bacon over the top. Yumm!

Old 07-25-2008, 09:31 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,469,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
The real American way to eat Liver is with Bacon and Onions. Soak the liver in milk over night.... coat the liver lightly with flour and fry it. Then add fried onions and american or "streaky" bacon over the top. Yumm!
And now I'm drooling all over my desk! Guess a trip to the butcher's is in order this weekend.

Other things I miss are good toasting bread. Honestly, the stuff they sell here is useless for that, no matter what the label reads. Also, English crumpets that you can toast and then slather with melted butter. Incredibly bad for you but who cares. AND Bombay Mix! I love that snack and it's nearly impossible to buy a good version over here. I have to stock up with 2lb bags from GNC whenever I visit home. I haven't been able to find really good fish & chips anywhere either - Applebees did it once but never again. Brit's Pub in Minneapolis at least offered sausage rolls and Scotch eggs.

Old 07-25-2008, 09:58 AM

7,577 posts, read 22,604,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
And now I'm drooling all over my desk! Guess a trip to the butcher's is in order this weekend.

Other things I miss are good toasting bread. Honestly, the stuff they sell here is useless for that, no matter what the label reads. Also, English crumpets that you can toast and then slather with melted butter. Incredibly bad for you but who cares. AND Bombay Mix! I love that snack and it's nearly impossible to buy a good version over here. I have to stock up with 2lb bags from GNC whenever I visit home. I haven't been able to find really good fish & chips anywhere either - Applebees did it once but never again. Brit's Pub in Minneapolis at least offered sausage rolls and Scotch eggs.
We're fortune - we live on the east coast and you can get great fish and chips plus we have a great little british food store within 5 mins. of our house. Do you have Wegman's by you? They have an international food section. The british section is great! Of course my Scottish better half complians about having to pay $3.00 for HP sauce when she can get it at home for 99 P but she eventually gives in when I mention how nice chips with brown sauce would be .... she can't resist

Old 07-26-2008, 10:55 AM

Soooo funny that the only food (besides liver and onions with bacon) that anyone misses from the UK is either fried or stodgy or a condiment. The only thing i really miss when i'm in the USA is the great British Chocolate. Other than that you can get everything else in the USA. Just find the right places that stock it.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:41 PM

29 posts, read 132,033 times
what is spotted dick.....?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom