Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 07:52 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,815,046 times

Advertisements

It's available in the USA but isn't popular: malt vinegar on chips (french fries).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 11:42 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Spent two years in Surrey and as an American (from Georgia and can't bear to be called a Yank) did learn to appreciate several things british:

Branston Pickle - could find it in Publix in Atlanta, but can't find it out here in TX

Pub Lunches - Any big slab of roast meat at the pub was wonderful

Roasted Potatoes - A must with aforementioned Roast Beast

Gravies - Brits do a good gravy and slather it all over the plate. Even the premade ones in the super market are good

Hot Custard - Forget the pie or cake, just pour me a bowl

Brussel Sprouts - Absolutely hated the things before, but the big plump fresh ones in Britain were fantastic, nothing like the small bitter ones I have eaten here stateside.

Devon Cream - Gosh! Heart attack on a scone, but worth an early death

Cooked breakfast with the grilled tomatoes

Fish and chips - Captain D's in the southeast is closest I've found but doesn't compare

Now for things I could never appreciate:

Meat pies, wedding cakes, christmas puddings, spotted dick: anything with that strong sweet tangy flavor, heavy spices and currants or other dried fruit. As nasty to me as american fruit cakes

Veggies - outside of brussel sprouts, found most vegetables rather bland, seemed like they were just thrown in a bot of bowling water and then thrown on the plate, no seasoning

Couldn't get a grasp on the british taste for sweets that mixed chocolate and fruit flavors, chocolate and orange, chocolate and raspberry, etc

Marmite and Vegemite: Just don't understand..... oh, add bovril to that

We lived in Esher in Surrey and found a store in Claygate that had American foods, would spend a fortune to get stuff that I don't even look at at the grocery store now that I am back home, lol. There is something emotional when you are away from home and you find something, especially a taste or food, that makes it seem even more special than it really is. The impact is stronger when it is unavailable.

Enjoyed this thread. I really miss England and the two years spent there even though it is now 20 years later. My ancenstry is completely Scott/Irish/Welsh so something in my DNA must have recognized home.

Old 08-07-2008, 03:05 AM

605 posts, read 2,380,906 times
Marmite...... minging.....

Old 08-07-2008, 04:45 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
Ok..need some help: There's a crazy scottish woman in my kitchen trying to make "Tablet"? She's used a whole pound of butter so far.. the first two batches came out like sh1te. Third time lucky maybe? Looks like pure sugar to me?

Old 08-07-2008, 05:03 PM

7,577 posts, read 22,607,487 times
...thats the third batch in the bin! If anyone has a good tablet recipe..please share : )

Old 08-12-2008, 09:21 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post
I'm sure I've seen this evil egg and jam combo (or read about it) but as it happens I can't remember where. So, have I libeled the fine nation that is the US of A? Come on my American cousins, defend yourself from this infamous slur on your good character - am I talking *******s?

Oh, I see boll-ocks is a naughty word, I thought it was British slang not used in the US!
Egg and jam/jelly?? Ew....nowhere I've ever been/lived, that's just weird. As for British slang, when it's a fun enough word it makes its way over.

I just think it's funny that reading the thread, half of the food that was missed I went "eeww..." in my head.....guess that cultural difference explains why it's so hard to find in the U.S.!

Probably should also note that Dr. Pepper is not root beer, and if you're looking for any sort of halfway decent sausage don't go near anything that says "breakfast sausage" or "Jimmy Dean." Best bet for that sort of thing would be a Wegmans, Trader Joe's, or Whole Foods type of place.

I'm still wondering what "suet" is.....I'm a little scared to know...

Old 08-12-2008, 09:30 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
...thats the third batch in the bin! If anyone has a good tablet recipe..please share : )
Isn't it just like fudge? Maybe google 'fudge recipe'? or try...

Scottish Tablet Recipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post

I'm still wondering what "suet" is.....I'm a little scared to know...
Suet is just fat - beef or mutton - in a sort of dried crumb form, like tiny pellets of fat (eeek). It is mixed with flour etc to make pastry or dough for pies and puddings, such as Spotted Dick, Steak & Kidney Pudding. In the UK it is sold in the dry goods section of the supermarket, or you can get it from a butcher in its more original state - you may have to grate it yourself.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:49 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southdown View Post
Suet is just fat - beef or mutton - in a sort of dried crumb form, like tiny pellets of fat (eeek). It is mixed with flour etc to make pastry or dough for pies and puddings, such as Spotted Dick, Steak & Kidney Pudding. In the UK it is sold in the dry goods section of the supermarket, or you can get it from a butcher in its more original state - you may have to grate it yourself.
Oh ok, that wasn't too scary, just dry lard. Thanks!

Old 08-12-2008, 12:37 PM

521 posts, read 1,473,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
Oh ok, that wasn't too scary, just dry lard. Thanks!
I have to say I thought it was a particular type of fat - the stuff that surrounded the heart of the beastie, but I haven't looked it up. Do you think that makes it tastier?

It is possible to get vegetable suet and that's the stuff I use in the depths of winter when I knock up a nice stew and dumplings.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:57 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxd.Brit View Post
I miss,
A good selection of potatoes. . . and apples for that matter.
I see you're in GA - not good apple country, that's your problem. ALl of yours are shipped in from the Northeast or Washington. Try visiting the Northeast in the fall!

in New York we can get a much better selection of potatoes from the greenmarket (farmers market).

As for cookies vs biscuits--prepacked, UK ones are better (Jaffa cakes, custard creams etc), but freshly baked the US wins every time.

I do like a good English roast dinner but it must be properly made with real gravy, good roasties, crispy Yorkshires etc.

I missed a lot of US food when I lived in England, especially American meat--a lot of my favortie cuts just weren't available (skirt & flank steaks, short ribs, any sort of veal...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom