Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 09:16 AM

493 posts, read 1,759,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
If the land rover was sticking to the national speed limit it would not be such a problem and I grew up learning to drive on those small country roads.
The problem is that us folks with our landrovers that know the roads, know what speed we can drive them at and where the hazards are. The trouble is, you get Sunday drivers wandering in the middle of the road and when they see a 4x4 coming towards them, they panic. Of course I'm not in the UK now and when I see the old Land Rover Discoveries over here next to a big Texas truck, they look tiny.

Not sure if it was mentioned earlier, but parking spaces are sooooo much bigger in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 01:09 PM

3,486 posts, read 5,672,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
People are polite in the US, with the exception of New York
As a New Yorker, I take exception. In my experience, rude people in the US are found a little bit farther west.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:07 PM

493 posts, read 1,759,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
As a New Yorker, I take exception. In my experience, rude people in the US are found a little bit farther west.
By a little farther west are you talking about CA? I have lived the east coast, west coast, midwest and the southwest and I don't know if it is that Californians are rude, more like their lack of interest in anyone other than themselves. A gross generalisation I know, but it is the only state that I lived where I made no friends. CA is beautiful, absolutely stunning in places. We lived in San Francisco and then over Oakland direction which was gorgeous but I just didn't click with the people and found them unfriendly. New Yorkers on the other hand are some of the friendliest people I've met and honest, which I like.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:03 AM

306 posts, read 1,159,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotx View Post
By a little farther west are you talking about CA? I have lived the east coast, west coast, midwest and the southwest and I don't know if it is that Californians are rude, more like their lack of interest in anyone other than themselves. A gross generalisation I know, but it is the only state that I lived where I made no friends. CA is beautiful, absolutely stunning in places. We lived in San Francisco and then over Oakland direction which was gorgeous but I just didn't click with the people and found them unfriendly. New Yorkers on the other hand are some of the friendliest people I've met and honest, which I like.
I think saying people in California are rude is, well, rude. How can you say that every person in the 9th largest economy is rude. A pretty big generalizations innit. I am from California and I am not rude.

The one thing that I have learned moving from state to state and to country to country is that cultures vary. I found it shocking when I first moved to the UK that no one looked you in the eye. No one said hello when you passed each other out walking. The grocery store clerks didnt look up at you and lord forbid ask if you need help (even when I was 9months pregnant and could barely move) Its easy to say "How Rude!" But reality is that its the culture of the place. Where people in CA are open from the start and say hello, you have to break the shell here.

Every culture has their own ways. Even our different states have their own little cultures. Things you have to learn and understand. Once that happens then things become easier. But really, there are nice and not nice people everywhere on the planet. (even in France...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotx View Post
The problem is that us folks with our landrovers that know the roads, know what speed we can drive them at and where the hazards are. The trouble is, you get Sunday drivers wandering in the middle of the road and when they see a 4x4 coming towards them, they panic. Of course I'm not in the UK now and when I see the old Land Rover Discoveries over here next to a big Texas truck, they look tiny.

Not sure if it was mentioned earlier, but parking spaces are sooooo much bigger in the US.
Its so true. I feel like I am driving a huge boat of a car when I was driving our Omega, I was quite happy in the Fiesta here in the UK. We now have a happy medium of an Avanis. But trying to squeeze into the tiny spots kills me. But when I go back to the states I feel dwarfed by the huge trucks and SUVs for a few days. I used to drive those huges SUVs and not think anything about it. I would never dream of driving one here in the UK.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:28 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,313,904 times
Tip for Brits immigrating to the States - there are 2 types of income tax to be filed Federal and State but 7 states (Washington, Nevada, Wyoming, Texas, Alaska, South Dakota and Florida) have no income tax at all and Oregon has no sales taxes.

Also sales taxes are only levied at the state and local level there is no VAT.

Old 08-30-2008, 02:33 PM

1,108 posts, read 3,313,904 times
Also I am American who has lived all over the US. You will have no problem making friends except on the west coast. The social milieu is odd there - typified by naricssism - not evil just ubiquitous naval gazing.

Old 09-02-2008, 02:19 PM

91 posts, read 307,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Charles_ View Post
Tip for Brits immigrating to the States - there are 2 types of income tax to be filed Federal and State but 7 states (Washington, Nevada, Wyoming, Texas, Alaska, South Dakota and Florida) have no income tax at all and Oregon has no sales taxes.

Also sales taxes are only levied at the state and local level there is no VAT.
NH has no income or sales tax either.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:25 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,173,713 times
I recognize that most every place has people that dislike other people from somewhere.
Would you hazard a guess to why "most" Brits dislike U.S.ers? Just curious. There are Canadians that hate us too but the neighbor thing can figure into that.

Old 09-07-2008, 12:46 PM

3,531 posts, read 2,586,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Would you hazard a guess to why "most" Brits dislike U.S.ers?

Utter ****e!!

Just curious. There are Canadians that hate us too but the neighbor thing can figure into that.
I`ve got loads of Canadian relatives..I agree they are boring,,,But that`s another story...

Old 09-07-2008, 01:20 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,078,610 times
Football is soccer in the US and soccer is football in the UK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom