Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 09:02 AM

267 posts, read 1,287,296 times

Advertisements

Saw a weather program on tornados over the weekend. As already stated UK has the most Tornodoes in Europe and more than most of the US but most are very small ones that barely register on the F scale. Of course there's been 3 or 4 noticeable ones in recent years in Birmingham (a street was hit taking out sides of houses as well as roofs) and London.
Earthquakes are reasonably requent apparently although again usually under 1 on the richter scale. First earthquake I've felt was the one this year that measured 5.8 in Lincoln!
I remember getting lots of snow in the winter as a kid growing up in the 70's with very cold temperatures to match. However it's now warmer but wetter in the winter according to stats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2008, 09:26 AM

493 posts, read 1,762,154 times
I think it seems to be windier in the UK too.

Thanks to Mr Heinz for that

Old 08-28-2008, 10:48 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,307,580 times
The weather sucks. Nothing I can do about it, however I wish us in the South would have some decent snow for a change. I love snow for a few day not for weeks and weeks or months on end, but thick heavy snow blanketing everything.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:11 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,466,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotx View Post
Mumof3 - We used to live in Plymouth and Golden Valley. Minnesota copes very well with the winter as they have a ton of ploughs and the city is connected by skyways so in the really cold weather, you can drive downtown, park your car in a heated garage and then walk the skyways from store, to restaurant etc.
Altho the 6-8 months of snow, freezing cold and below zero windchill can be a real drag!

Old 08-28-2008, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Altho the 6-8 months of snow, freezing cold and below zero windchill can be a real drag!

We drove from Chicago to Minneapolis in January, to visit friends. Bearing in mind that Chicago isn't exactly Miami Beach at that time of year, the closer we got to Minnesota the more and more it looked like a scene from The Day After Tomorrow. As we drove through Wisconsin our car just froze up on the outside, we were all laughing in that hysterical way you do when you think **** I am literally going to die here. Ok, maybe a slight exaggeration.

Old 08-28-2008, 03:33 PM

113 posts, read 278,133 times
We don't really get a proper winter anymore if you think about it in snow terms, but it's really cold and I tend to think I was born in the wrong country.
Even after been born and bred here I still take bad with how cold it gets.
It was nice and warm today, but sometimes we seem to have the 4 seasons in one day.
I do enjoy some of the views though and thanks to our unpredictable weather we don't have a lot of creepy crawlies that inhabit other countries.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:22 PM

Arrgh those creepy crawlies. I've just moved back to Dallas and I am quickly being remembered how BIG they are. We have crickets in our home here, that is what happens when you move into a lovely area with lots of trees and bushes in your yard. I have a little net that I capture them in and put them outside. It could be worse, when we were staying at a very nice hotel before we moved in our house there was a huge cockroach in the bathroom.

When we lived out in the wilderness in County Durham we once had a tawny owl fly down our chimney, it was like a scene out of Harry Potter.

Back to weather, its a scorcher today in Texas. I took the little ones to a park with loads of water spouts, after a while I had to get in and join them to cool off. I'm back in Blighty for Christmas, think I'm going to freeze.

Old 08-28-2008, 04:26 PM

113 posts, read 278,133 times
Daddy long legs (don't know what they are really called) give me the creeps
They are like skinny flying spiders, although they only have 6 legs....

Old 08-28-2008, 04:46 PM

That reminds me of warm late summer/early autumn evenings when you have the lights on at home and the windows open. In flies the daddy long legs and promptly bounces off everything in sight. Ricky Gervais did a good impression of one on stage once. They are a bit stupid.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:51 AM

521 posts, read 1,472,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evo25 View Post
Daddy long legs (don't know what they are really called) give me the creeps
They are like skinny flying spiders, although they only have 6 legs....
I'm sure there was another thread about these.....Harvestmen

Harvestmen (Daddy Longlegs)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom