Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 08:21 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,480,601 times

Advertisements

As you in Britain know, we're in the midst of our election, and I wondered if politics there ever gets this heated. I know many Britons have strong views of Blair and Thatcher, but here it feels like a quadrennial civil war without guns--ie, there's not just disagreement in the U.S. but genuine hatred and disdain for the other side. And the anger simmers in the meantime. If you don't believe me, go to the 2008 election forum. Frankly it's draining and sometimes makes me wish we had six week campaigns like you guys do.

So I ask, is British Politics as rough as it is here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 09:52 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
As you in Britain know, we're in the midst of our election, and I wondered if politics there ever gets this heated. I know many Britons have strong views of Blair and Thatcher, but here it feels like a quadrennial civil war without guns--ie, there's not just disagreement in the U.S. but genuine hatred and disdain for the other side. And the anger simmers in the meantime. If you don't believe me, go to the 2008 election forum. Frankly it's draining and sometimes makes me wish we had six week campaigns like you guys do.

Not even close.. most Brits are not that bothered about politics. The kind of arguments and heated debates I have seen in the US would happen very rarely in comparison here.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:01 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post

The way the systems differ make the UK's elections less of a media circus.

In the US, the pre-election selection process for choosing presidential candidates is one HUGE public event, immediately followed by the election process, all concentrated on a few central individuals, rather than local seats and whole party politics.

In the UK, the party leaders are selected (by the party members) and usually established well before an election - without too much fuss. Come election time, the Brits' attention is on voting for a local MP, and for a party - less than on the one leader.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:54 AM

4,657 posts, read 8,711,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Not even close.. most Brits are not that bothered about politics. The kind of arguments and heated debates I have seen in the US would happen very rarely in comparison here.
Oh, please!

Your meetings in parliament are nothing if not the theater of the absurd. Constant shouting down anyone with whom they disagree and hemming and hawing from the peanut gallery. No one can even finish a sentence because they're being interrupted every five seconds, no one can get a word in edge wise. if seen a couple of these gatherings and I find myself shouting at the television, "Shut up!, Stop interrupting him and let him speak!".

Y'all finally got rid of the goofy wigs, hopefully parliament meeting reform is next.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:52 PM

521 posts, read 1,473,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Oh, please!

Y'all finally got rid of the goofy wigs, hopefully parliament meeting reform is next.
Nope, the goofy wigs are still there (Speaker & House of Lords + certain ceremonial roles). We need them, it distracts the attention of the US viewer from the bad teeth

Old 09-22-2008, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post
Nope, the goofy wigs are still there (Speaker & House of Lords + certain ceremonial roles). We need them, it distracts the attention of the US viewer from the bad teeth
awesome sense of humor, rep point for you. I was under the impression that the powdered wigs went the way of the dinosaur, no?

Old 09-23-2008, 01:33 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,595,018 times
There certainly isn`t the animosity between supporters of different parties over here like I`ve seen between Dems and Reps on these forums..That can only be described as downright hatred..Amazing!!

Old 09-23-2008, 05:50 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,185 times
I can't get to grips with the power that the church seems to have in American politics
Does anyone know of any other western country where religion can wield that sort of power in an election.
When you take a good look at their tv evangelists you certainly have to wonder how this was allowed to happen
I'll take British politics thank you.

Old 09-23-2008, 05:56 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
There certainly isn`t the animosity between supporters of different parties over here like I`ve seen between Dems and Reps on these forums..That can only be described as downright hatred..Amazing!!
Downright hatred is right. The animosity between Democrats and Republicans gets worse every year.

Old 09-23-2008, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
I can't get to grips with the power that the church seems to have in American politics
Does anyone know of any other western country where religion can wield that sort of power in an election.
When you take a good look at their tv evangelists you certainly have to wonder how this was allowed to happen
I'll take British politics thank you.

Linc,
You're right about the hatred on these forums, it's downright ugly. Civility is quickly forgotten when people can hide under the cloak of anonymity of their keyboard.

Albion,

Can you elaborate on your comments; they seem like thinly veiled Anti-christian bigotry, but I'm not sure. Say what you mean and mean what you say and we can go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom