U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 06:56 AM

4,644 posts, read 6,434,139 times

Advertisements

I haven't read through this thread yet, but after living in England I can tell you that Americans seem - and are - loud! Gratingly loud. Inside voices, please! When I returned to the States I couldn't believe how loud many Americans can be. Brits only tend to be loud in particular situations sometimes, like at football matches and down the pub after a few too many (especially true of yobs). Before I moved to England I was living in Lithuania where conversations in restaurants, etc are sotto voce -- Lithuanians seem to be virtually whispering amongst themselves oftentimes (maybe a legacy of Soviet occupation) -- much preferable to shouting Yanks.

Old 10-04-2009, 07:00 AM

1,644 posts, read 2,936,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Yes, because we know how polite the Brits are on "holiday", right?

YouTube - abusing the staff at mcdonalds in malia, crete

Not to say they are all like this - but the point I'd make here is that every country has a-holes, and every country has a-holes that travel abroad.
Yes,but brits abroad don't tend to go to the US.Apart from the fact that they think the US constitutes Florida, they would be thrown in jail if they acted like they do in the US.
that's why you will find the boozy Americans in Mexico- in the US it isn't as acceptable to get P----- out of your brains and start being abusive

Old 10-04-2009, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjef View Post
I haven't read through this thread yet, but after living in England I can tell you that Americans seem - and are - loud! Gratingly loud. Inside voices, please! When I returned to the States I couldn't believe how loud many Americans can be. Brits only tend to be loud in particular situations sometimes, like at football matches and down the pub after a few too many (especially true of yobs). Before I moved to England I was living in Lithuania where conversations in restaurants, etc are sotto voce -- Lithuanians seem to be virtually whispering amongst themselves oftentimes (maybe a legacy of Soviet occupation) -- much preferable to shouting Yanks.
Yanks?

Old 10-04-2009, 07:47 AM

2,421 posts, read 3,288,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan42 View Post
Yanks?
Yanks = Americans (Yankees).

Old 10-04-2009, 08:45 AM

93 posts, read 104,592 times
In my experience Americans by and large arent as reserved as us English. Which can be good or bad in different situations.

Im talking about sober people obviously, a bit of drink and most English lose most inhibitions.

Old 10-04-2009, 08:50 AM

2,940 posts, read 5,172,133 times
Depends where you go, i've met nice and not so nice Americans but i cant judge them all as being bad like not everyone in Scotland is nice.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:55 PM

4,644 posts, read 6,434,139 times
The thing is, Americans don't intend to be rude and obtrusive by virtue of their loudness. I realise that (I'm one of them after all, but I'm rather an introvert and a low-stimulus person); they're just oblivious to their loudness. Otherwise, I don't think Americans are particularly rude and many of them are far politer than the English (I don't feel I've enough experience with Scots and Welsh to comment). But I've also come to the conclusion that there are communication problems that stem from the English oftentimes not saying what they really mean, being overly subtle (at least for Americans) or not letting their true attitudes be known. I say this primarily from my experience of the work culture in the NHS (I don't think it was the NHS work culture specifically, however; rather, just the setting in which I've experienced the very oblique and somewhat disingenuous communication style of Brits). BTW, elsewhere on City-Data you will find amongst Americans that Northerners will say much the same thing of their experiences living amongst Southerners -- they often complain that Southerners are outwardly polite, proper and sweet to one, but that this style may prove to disguise attitudes and motives that are quite different to their outward niceness.

Old 10-04-2009, 02:28 PM

2,940 posts, read 5,172,133 times
Scots are well liked and have a friendly and outgoing reputation even when we go to Spain the locals love us.

My fiance loves the people here.

Old 10-04-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroofarmer View Post
Yanks = Americans (Yankees).
Generally accepted as being from New York only.

Old 10-04-2009, 05:22 PM

65 posts, read 115,998 times
My best friend lives in Aberdeen, he is dual citizenship. We tease each other a lot over this. Whenever I am traveling (in Europe, Mexico, or even Orlando) and become aware of a loud, drunk person I always cross my fingers and hope they are a Brit. Whenever my friend is traveling and becomes aware of a loud, drunk person he crosses his fingers and hopes its an American. So I guess we both have our obnoxious drunks.

Last edited by Buona sera; 10-04-2009 at 05:26 PM.. Reason: typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom