Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 11:11 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,737,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
I live in the states and I have had the pleasure to meet man and his family who were from England. They moved here about 5 years ago and they go back to visit England very regularly.

I have known this person for about 2 years off and on. To get to my question; I have noticed that they have a very cold personality's and that they only seem to be able to loosen up with a little alcohol.

Second issue I noticed is that they tend to be very private. In fact they seem to become a little hostile when I ask them a little more information
then I should; such as, "how much money did you make last year?"

Lastly, I just get the overall feeling that they are very dull and pale. Are most of the people in England like this?
\

Londoners - upper middle class - I would say yes they are like this. But go to different cities - Birmingham, Newcastle, Liverpool, Manchester - much more down to earth and like to have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 06:44 AM

40 posts, read 113,687 times
Reading this thread sort of reminds me of all the comments on the U.S. forums about "rude" New Englanders, "stoic" Minnesotans, etc.

It seems if you're from the US South or Midwest, reservedness can bve mistaken for rudeness. Is that often the case I wonder?

Old 10-16-2008, 09:44 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
Having lived in the UK, being married to a Brit and now living in New England, I can tell you:
**take people as individuals...don't judge all British by a few people....imagine judging all Americans by 'certain people?"
**the British AND many New Englanders are 'private people.' We love living here because like in England, bragging about what you own is looked down on.
**Maybe that man and his family were shy or reserved....?

Old 10-16-2008, 01:26 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Like others said, you can't really generalize over an entire group of people. It's the same as saying that all Americans are loud, nosy idiots. There's a lot who are, there's plenty more who aren't, and everything in between. Most of the British people I've met have been some of the friendliest I've ever known.

The Northeastern U.S. is also known for being more private and reserved. I remember conversations with my Southern friends about how "personal bubble"s expand as you head North. It's not that they're rude or unfriendly, it's just the way it is.

Also, I don't know if it was just a bad example of what you asked, but I've always been told that questions about income are very rude. I've talked about it with my friends who are fresh out of school, but mainly because 1) my salary as a government employee is public knowledge, and 2) we're trying to get a feel for what the market salary is in our respective fields. Even still it's a touchy subject. Outside of doing their taxes or giving a loan, there's really no reason to inquire about someone's salary.

Old 10-20-2008, 09:08 AM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,233,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marieb View Post
I am from the north east of England, living in the south east and the people are totally different - I remember saying to a girl at work that I had been talking to a woman while standing in line for the checkout at the supermarket and she was horrified - you spoke to someone in a queue!!
In the north east this is common, you speak to anyone, at a bus stop, in a queue, at the pub etc.
To be fair I've had conversations with people at the checkout even in London on the odd occasion. I think it happens a bit less in the south (London in particular) than the north though, where people don't tend to be in quite such a mad rush the whole time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
Like others said, you can't really generalize over an entire group of people. It's the same as saying that all Americans are loud, nosy idiots. There's a lot who are, there's plenty more who aren't, and everything in between. Most of the British people I've met have been some of the friendliest I've ever known.

Also, I don't know if it was just a bad example of what you asked, but I've always been told that questions about income are very rude. I've talked about it with my friends who are fresh out of school, but mainly because 1) my salary as a government employee is public knowledge, and 2) we're trying to get a feel for what the market salary is in our respective fields. Even still it's a touchy subject. Outside of doing their taxes or giving a loan, there's really no reason to inquire about someone's salary.
I'm churning over old ground here but I was astonished about the salary question as well! If I was asked that, the only possible conclusion I would reach was that my new neighbours were incredibly competitive, and I would be judged entirely on my posessions rather than my personality or interests. This may in turn cause me to be quite cold and unfriendly to them. I only found out my other half's salary about 2 years into the relationships and only because I mentioned mine first!

Some people can be a bit funny though can't they? I've got new neighbours and we've said hello and everything, I said "If you need anything just give me a shout" and they said thanks... blah blah blah.. but they didn't crack a smile ONCE. I find that a bit odd, but I suppose it's just the way some people are.

My previous neighbour and I used to chat across the fence quite regularly and I almost share houses with another neighbour across the road, we're over at each other's places a few times a week... it really is down to how well you click with individuals a lot of the time isn't it?

Old 10-24-2008, 08:18 PM

31 posts, read 81,966 times
Yes, people in England really are like this.

You could be dismissed if you discussed salary with other workers at the company I worked for in the UK. Its called a "sackable offense"... but I'd say they'd be hard pressed getting away with that in court.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:42 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
I'm from New England (in the northeast of the USA) and no one here would ask someone how much money they made. I don't even know how much my friends make and I'd be embarrassed to ask and I don't really care how much they make anyway.

This part of the country is also more reserved than other places in the US and we tend to keep to ourselves unless we really know you well. We're not UNcaring, we are very caring, we just tend to be more quiet (in general) and more traditional.

Old 10-27-2008, 07:55 AM

31 posts, read 81,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'm from New England (in the northeast of the USA) and no one here would ask someone how much money they made. I don't even know how much my friends make and I'd be embarrassed to ask and I don't really care how much they make anyway.

I suppose it depends on context and I would have no reason to ask what a friend earned out of general curiosity just like I could see no reason to state what I earned to just anyone who asked.

However, if I am working in a similar area as another person I would like to compare so might ask what the salary range is - or if I know the person well, how much they earn... I think its natural.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:19 AM

19 posts, read 35,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
Thanks for the reply's. Truth be told, I do like the blank expressions that they carry for most of the time. We Americans smile entirely to much. I would say 90% of the smiles you get are fake.

As far as "with dignity and decorum," when I would hang out with my friends mom, I felt like I was with with some type of queen. She would get all done up, but it was very tasteful and elegant!

I wish more American women were this way. Over here in California all the women look the same, and they all wear jeans with beach flip flops EVERYWHERE!! uaa! Some women & men even go as far as to wear there bedtime clothes and house shoes to the store!
disagree here ... love the jeans and flip flops- hate the stiff upper lip ... but that's mainly southern england ... join us in the north (manchester) and enjoy something a bit more laid back ... also be surprised by the dress up here ... you'd be wishing for flip flops and jeans in no time: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/80/27...86ec77a5ae.jpg

Old 11-02-2008, 08:42 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times
CHAVS. Aw, c'mon, they don't all dress like chavs over there. In the north, they dress just about right (imho.) Next time I go over, I'm taking a load of Levi's to sell, that's what they seem to want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom