Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 11:22 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,593,787 times

Advertisements

Only better..But you`ll do right by avoiding Town/City centre so called pubs. They`re not pubs, they`re bars..Big difference....I live rural and they are still proper pubs..All said, all town pubs are not bad. You have to seek them out. Look for ones used by locals. Not passing trade...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 12:51 PM

728 posts, read 1,675,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
Only better..But you`ll do right by avoiding Town/City centre so called pubs. They`re not pubs, they`re bars..Big difference....I live rural and they are still proper pubs..All said, all town pubs are not bad. You have to seek them out. Look for ones used by locals. Not passing trade...
When you say bars, I envision "dance clubs" and more of a place for they younger crowd to party. Thanks for that tip. I'm more inclined to the traditional small town pubs, with decent food and a good ale or lager..not that pee water that passes as beer here in the states.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:36 AM

183 posts, read 395,969 times
Quote:
I wouldn't go so far. Most town or city centre bars are okay, what's wrong with using places with passing trade? If in a town area I would offer the advice depending on what town you are in, using the pubs that the locals use might be more troublesome than going to somewhere in the city centre! Does very much depend on the area.

You can usually tell by the exterior though what it might be like inside.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:09 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,322,542 times
Good point. If you ask for a local pub, that is often a euphemism for trouble.

I notice someone has started documenting history at www.closedpubs.co.uk .

Old 12-07-2008, 02:38 PM

2,636 posts, read 6,647,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
Since the smoking ban was introduced, seven pubs In the center of my town have closed.
I'm a non-smoker and thought the ban on smoking would bring the non-smokers back. but It has'nt.
The ban has cost people their jobs, and pubs that have been open for centuries have now closed.
Another victory for the politicly correct.
The smoking ban has nothing to do with political correctness, it's to do with all the pub workers who had been dropping dead of lung cancer despite having never smoked a cigarette in their lives.

And no, Britain wouldn't be the same without pubs. I think we take them for granted a bit here because there are so many but if they were taken away we would lose something wonderful and unique. There really is nothing like a good pub atmosphere.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:19 AM

194 posts, read 491,871 times
Quote:
Good advice LINCOLNSHIRE! Rural pubs are by far the best!

Old 12-08-2008, 02:54 PM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
I'm not sure I agree that you can't find good pubs in the center of town/city. Just yesterday we went to Sam's Chop House in the center of Manchester - excellent food, good atmosphere, authentic/historic location (established 1872). It didn't seem too "touristy" to me.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:15 PM

61 posts, read 119,008 times
How do you Bits define an outstanding pub? I haven't given up on opening one here in the states and I would want the atmosphere to be authentic in every possible way. Not an easy task as every English or Irish "authentic" pub I've found here has gone under in no time.

Old 12-25-2008, 03:50 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,113,777 times
I prefer Scottish pubs, theres such a great atmosphere and people are very friendly and will spark up a conversation with you even if they don't know you, the banter is great, the music. I prefer traditional pubs like the fox and hounds in Houston, Renfrewshire my local

Irish pubs are cool too, not been to many though. America definately lacks pubs, its something i'd miss if/when i move to there.

My local The Fox and Hounds - Home of the Houston Brewery - The Fox and Hounds

http://www.foxandhoundshouston.co.uk...pper&Itemid=80

The smaller Scottish villages have some fine pubs.

Old 12-25-2008, 05:43 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,478,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
That's true, "pub" is usually more of a novelty place. I was thinking of one or two neighborhood taverns in the area that seem to be more of a UK-version pub than others. It's still not the same, though.
I think Chicago and Milwaukee come to mind when I think of neighborhood taverns in the USA being gathering/socializing places for the locals. Those cities are comprised of ethnic neighborhoods. German-Irish-Russian-Pole etc. Each neighborhood had a few taverns that served as a gathering place for people of that culture and serve foods and drink common to that culture. I think its great and wish we had more places like that in the southern USA. Merry Christmas everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom