U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2008, 12:23 AM

13,460 posts, read 14,448,359 times

Advertisements

As an auto enthusiast, I enjoy your "Top Gear" program very much.

I've noticed that for distances, the hosts use the same terms we use in the US, e.g. feet, miles per hour, 1/4 mile drag race.

They also use metric terms such as when they fill up with gas or provide the weight of a vehicle.

Are English miles the same as U.S. miles e.g. one mile = 5,280 feet = 1.609 km?

Are all other measurements used in the UK metric?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 12:28 AM

398 posts, read 1,132,687 times
I noticed that same thing while watching this program. My husband is hooked on it and I've caught a few episodes myself. It's really quite enjoyable!

Old 10-26-2008, 01:38 AM

521 posts, read 1,314,015 times
Hi there.

A UK mile is the same as a US mile, but some measurements are different. Basically the US retains the old English system of weights and measures but the UK changed to an Imperial system after you guys made the mistake of going your own way

Although the terms for weights and liquids are the same, sometimes the amounts are different.

Try a look at this sight for some info:

Imperial and USA systems of measurement.

Metric, USA and Imperial Measurements + Conversion

Warning! The site is is a bit of propaganda from our French cousins so naturally it is somewhat pro metric

Unfortunately for me, the UK made an attempt to adopt the metric system in the early 70's but they met with such resistance from UK peasantry that they have quietly dropped further attempts to push us down the metric route.

So, things like petrol have by law to be sold in litres (note UK spelling) and food items sold in grams & kilos (and people have been prosecuted and faced gaol for selling fruit and veg in pounds -I kid you not). We retain miles, etc for distance and pounds for the weight of people but grams for the weight of everything else. Frankly, I haven't a bloody clue anymore

Oh, forgot to mention that you get 25% more beer to your pint in the UK! Chin-chin. (http://encarta.msn.com/dictionary_56...chin-chin.html)

Last edited by Yorkie Bar; 10-26-2008 at 01:49 AM..

Old 10-26-2008, 05:02 AM

8,216 posts, read 12,805,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post
pounds for the weight of people but grams for the weight of everything else.
I have found most people in the UK use stones or kilograms for measuring the weight of people? My mother in law's scale is in kilograms, as is the scale whenever I go to the doctor. And most people when talking about their weight use stones or kilograms.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:03 AM

267 posts, read 1,155,137 times
There's been a big fight for a few years as the UK government made it legal for traders to sell things in kilograms rather than pounds and ounces (EU rules). However many continued to sell in old measurements or with both measurements shown. Some traders were prosecuted. However after much debate the government now says traders can sell in whatever metric system they choose. The old measurements were well known by most people particularly the elderly.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:18 AM

521 posts, read 1,314,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
I have found most people in the UK use stones or kilograms for measuring the weight of people? My mother in law's scale is in kilograms, as is the scale whenever I go to the doctor. And most people when talking about their weight use stones or kilograms.
Yes, in general weight of people is given as stones and pounds - stones being a multiple of 14 pounds. The only people who use Kilo's are children who have had their innocent young minds warped by lefty teachers or the evil medical profession

Old 10-26-2008, 11:09 AM

142 posts, read 154,629 times
In UK, they use half Metric and half Imperial units.
For gas, it's liter, for temperature, it's celsius, for weight, it's stone and pounds.

Old 10-27-2008, 09:40 AM

3,354 posts, read 8,663,090 times
Confused you soon will be.

In school I was taught pounds & ounces etc.

Now you have to buy things grams, so I just ask for 454grams of something (1lb)

Oh and an American pint is 16oz's British 20oz's so an American gallon of gas is 3.8 liters a British gallon approx 4.5 liters, but now in the UK it's sold in liters, I think they do that so we don't realise we are paying $8 a gallon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or