U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 03:15 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,835,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
I think part of the misconceptions come from television and movies and we all know how accurate (sarcasm) they are.
There are just 3 types of British film, which represent us as Cockney gangsters, unemployed northerners, or aristocrats living in castles played by someone called Grant.

If others believe the stereotypes, it's because we keep perpetuating them.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:08 AM
RH1

1,161 posts, read 2,848,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbird4848 View Post
Hey! Don't hog all the stupid questions. I am and one rather smugly stated, "Good Heavens NO! I am from Wales!"

I thought it was funny, because to me Wales/England~ what's the difference??!! They're all limeys!
Yeah and America/Canada - what's the difference? They're all on that big bit of land over there...

Old 11-07-2008, 08:45 AM

200 posts, read 742,175 times
The biggest complaint I get from English friends is the most common question they get in America is "What part of Australia are you from?"

Old 11-07-2008, 10:59 AM

2,716 posts, read 4,635,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightclan View Post
Doesn't matter. Unless you want to drive for 24 hours straight, it will take you at least 2 days. Not sure what your point is.

Mapquest
That is driving non-stop. No bathroom, food, gas, sleep...etc. your looking at 1,700miles on I-94 & I-90 just to get to nearest point of the west coast.

I guess I didn't have a point other than you must be one hell of a trucker

Old 11-07-2008, 04:50 PM

14,097 posts, read 14,439,767 times
I thought everyone in England had cars with hidden machine gun turrents, smoked pipes while going around solving crimes, or went time traveling in a police box. By the way, is there some sort of lottery or system in place to allow all Brits to eventually play Dr. Who at some time?

Old 11-07-2008, 05:33 PM

3,161 posts, read 4,634,231 times
I once told a friend of mine that I was part Welsh. She asked me what that was. I told her my ancestors came from Wales, near England. She told me that it was impossible because humans can't be born of sea creatures.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:42 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,071,902 times
No no no.... my favorite is of the English tourists in Jackson Hole, inquiring about the Grand Tetons,

..."are those real mountains or are they just painted there..."

...But the all time best is...

.."awwww I saw the cutest thing today, a little ground squirrel got hit by a car and all his friends came out to help him....."....." uh actually lady his friends came out to EAT him".....

Another good one is ...."where are all the cowboys and indians?"

I love this one...."why is this country soooo big?" (um....beats me....Ask GOD)

And this one..."I'm so frightened...." "why what happened?"......"As I look around...all I see is trees!"..... ( Well now....no s__t)

Old 11-07-2008, 06:40 PM

25,203 posts, read 19,037,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
Maybe a quick search on 'America's help in WWII' on google will explain it for you.

Ya, I was going to say something as well. Not to get on a huge America is great tirade, but I do recall in history that Germany would have overtaken England without a little help.

Matter of fact that plays into the whole theory that the US knew that Japan was going to attack and let it happen in order for the US to join the war, at the time there was a huge movement in America that basically thought Hitler was "Europe's" problem and didn't want to get involved, FDR needed the political impetus to "allow" America to be involved.

I'm sure I'm missing the details, but that's the big picture.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:48 PM
bjh

20,508 posts, read 12,394,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightclan View Post
Doesn't matter. Unless you want to drive for 24 hours straight, it will take you at least 2 days. Not sure what your point is.

Mapquest
Good news! You are only 18 hours from Houston!

Old 11-07-2008, 09:55 PM

25,494 posts, read 11,591,437 times
I am enjoying the questions on this thread. I had an online friend from Great Britain once and asked what his perceptions were of Americans. Man, did he ever blast them. WOW. Are American tourists that bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mumof3 View Post
Ricky Gervais started this and I thought I would carry it on because I have now lived in the US for seven years and have some of my own...

I was once asked if I was from London or England? "EH?" (I thought)

I was in Iowa once and a woman asked if I knew some Brit that She knew...WELL - I said - ....it's only a country of 60 million...let me see...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom