Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 02:15 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post
I think it's been used before but here is a clip of the stereotype that Europe has of American tourists

YouTube - Americans Sketch - Ruddy Hell Its Harry and Paul
That one had me chuckling out loud. Thanks for the link, my first exposure to this comedy team. I was embarrassed for my homeland more than once when I encountered the "ugly American" while living there.

From my two years in Surrey, I got the impression from many Brits that this was the common stereotype of the American tourist. I had to explain that Americans from the south are usually a little more genteel and more conscious of our public demeanor and not to lump us all together. Guess it is part of our Southern upbringing. We used to feel the same way about northerners (Yankees) -- loud and overbearing -- when they came south.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:30 PM

12,015 posts, read 11,289,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
That one had me chuckling out loud. Thanks for the link, my first exposure to this comedy team. I was embarrassed for my homeland more than once when I encountered the "ugly American" while living there.

From my two years in Surrey, I got the impression from many Brits that this was the common stereotype of the American tourist. I had to explain that Americans from the south are usually a little more genteel and more conscious of our public demeanor and not to lump us all together. Guess it is part of our Southern upbringing. We used to feel the same way about northerners (Yankees) -- loud and overbearing -- when they came south.
I agree!

Last edited by Katsmeeyow; 11-13-2008 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: Oops!

Old 11-13-2008, 05:41 PM

4,279 posts, read 10,361,498 times
I was asked "Do they speak English in England?" At first I though she was taking the mick, then I realised she was deadly serious!

Old 11-14-2008, 02:48 AM

2,518 posts, read 5,355,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post
I think it's been used before but here is a clip of the stereotype that Europe has of American tourists

YouTube - Americans Sketch - Ruddy Hell Its Harry and Paul
But their openness and friendliness (yes, I know I'm stereotyping) makes me warm to most of the Americans I meet. There's always idiots, I met a bit of a bigot in Lewisburg WV, but the majority make up for the minority.
And when I visit the US myself I try not to live up to the American stereotype of what an English person is like (very reserved, almost stand-offish) by being warm and open myself. I think it's great when someone in the US says to me "I love your accent."

By the way, I was exploring an overgrown cemetery in Stoke-on-Trent recently and was impressed that the military graves were actually being kept clear. Not something I would have expected in the UK, to be honest.

Old 11-14-2008, 08:32 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,115,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
I was asked "Do they speak English in England?" At first I though she was taking the mick, then I realised she was deadly serious!
LOL I was asked "How long did it take you to learn English, you have an accent" that person from Alabama was dead serious. I couldn't conceal my laughter. I guess no one has heard of Scotland there.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:59 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,857,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BereniceUK View Post
But their openness and friendliness (yes, I know I'm stereotyping) makes me warm to most of the Americans I meet. There's always idiots, I met a bit of a bigot in Lewisburg WV, but the majority make up for the minority.
And when I visit the US myself I try not to live up to the American stereotype of what an English person is like (very reserved, almost stand-offish) by being warm and open myself. I think it's great when someone in the US says to me "I love your accent."

By the way, I was exploring an overgrown cemetery in Stoke-on-Trent recently and was impressed that the military graves were actually being kept clear. Not something I would have expected in the UK, to be honest.
Berenice, I felt the same way in reverse my two years in England. I fell in love with the people more than anything. One of the biggest GENERAL differences (and being general can play into stereotypes but go with me on this....) was that Americans are more open and warm outwardly, but you only go so deep with most. The British seem more reserved up front, but will open their lives deeper once you get to know one another.

Here is an example. In my two years in England, I got invited into more people's homes for meals more than I have been in American homes the entire 19 years that I have been back stateside.

In fact the number isn't even close. I moved to Texas from Georgia 5 years ago, and I have been invited to only three different homes for dinner from my closest friendships at work and church. Of course, Americans go out to eat together constantly, but it is rare to get invited into a home.

Maybe since all my ancestry on both sides can be traced back to Britain and Ireland, I was connecting to something deep within my DNA. I really loved my two years there and would jump at an opportunity to go back.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:29 AM

521 posts, read 1,473,043 times
Hi guys, glad you enjoyed the link.

Saintmarks, if you like that clip then try this (not American tourist related but makes me laugh)

YouTube - Harry Enfield - Women know your limits

YouTube - Association Football - Harry Enfield - Mr Cholmondley-Warner

Anyways, I hope we'll be seeing more tourists from the US now the pound has plunged to new depths - we need the cash! I think my trip to the States at Christmas might be a touch more expensive than I'd planned

Old 11-14-2008, 11:34 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Whatever, dude. Every time I am in Europe and I say I'm from Dallas, someone asks me if I

a. Know JR
b. ride a horse to work/school/whatever
c. live on a ranch
d. etc, etc

Stupid people everywhere trying to make small talk...

Old 11-14-2008, 02:06 PM

163 posts, read 320,762 times
I once managed a hotel and one beautiful morning, I was helping the receptionist check out our guests, on checking out an American couple.......I asked if they had 'enjoyed their trip accross the pond' to which they replied "Oh yes, we love comming accross to England, its basicly one of our states...........I will not post my reply on here!!!!!!

Old 11-15-2008, 12:48 PM

2,716 posts, read 6,895,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblueeyes01 View Post
...........I will not post my reply on here!!!!!!
I'm guessing it's because you had no reply?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom