Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2008, 12:25 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,703,829 times

Advertisements

You've said in your posts that you've visited the southern states several times. I've been to the states twice scotslass.

Old 11-14-2008, 04:57 AM

318 posts, read 934,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
yes they are. which is why citizens and cops should have them here as well as there. but more important that should be allowed to use them without fear of incarceration and law suits. then crime would plummet.
Cops will not get guns here because its not the look of the traditional cop that's why they still wear the stupid tall hats rather than something more suitable in this day and age. Stun guns are still an issue here about if they should used and if they are safe enough to use on criminals although they are used in many other countries around the globe .

Old 11-14-2008, 05:00 AM

318 posts, read 934,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
But, but, how can that be? Guns were banned in the UK.

Yep and so is drugs and prostitution and can you believe they are still huge problems

Old 11-14-2008, 08:58 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happynoodleboycey View Post
The fact that guns are banned here is the reason gun crime levels are at nothing like the level that the US suffers from.

Since when do criminals follow laws, including gun bans? Criminals, acquire guns illegally. Limiting legal ownership is stupid. Gun crime in the U.S. is a function of demographics, not guns.

Old 11-14-2008, 09:22 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,703,829 times
Pilot1, Finland has the highest rate of murder by gunshot in Europe.
Finland along with the Yemen & the USA are the top three countries in the world for gun ownership.
And I believe I'm right In saying that Finland has recently had a massacre in one of their schools, caused by a student with a gun. That only happens In one other country I can think of, the USA.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:48 AM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happynoodleboycey View Post
The fact that guns are banned here is the reason gun crime levels are at nothing like the level that the US suffers from.
No, gun crime was always a lot lower in the U.K. than the U.S., even in the 19th and early 20th centuries, when guns were readily available and could be carried, in the U.K. It's not because of guns but other factors (drugs, gangs, etc.) and the fact that the U.K. is much smaller and easier to control. Crime rates are actually lower here where gun laws are not too restrictive, than in restrictive areas (because the criminals are afraid of getting shot...).

Oh and on the original topic of this thread, one thing to keep in mind: anyone with some scrap metal and some machinist tools can build an AK easily. A simple gun to make. You'll never be rid of them, never...

Old 11-15-2008, 10:36 AM

3,531 posts, read 2,593,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
No, gun crime was always a lot lower in the U.K. than the U.S., even in the 19th and early 20th centuries, when guns were readily available and could be carried, in the U.K. It's not because of guns but other factors (drugs, gangs, etc.) and the fact that the U.K. is much smaller and easier to control. Crime rates are actually lower here where gun laws are not too restrictive, than in restrictive areas (because the criminals are afraid of getting shot...).

Oh and on the original topic of this thread, one thing to keep in mind: anyone with some scrap metal and some machinist tools can build an AK easily. A simple gun to make. You'll never be rid of them, never...
Rubbish Chum ..If you want to come on with 20th and 19th century figures then lets have them.?? I`ll argue that cat all day long...And I`m sure loads more will..

Old 11-15-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINCOLNSHIRE View Post
Rubbish Chum ..If you want to come on with 20th and 19th century figures then lets have them.?? I`ll argue that cat all day long...And I`m sure loads more will..
Check out the book mentioned here for some detailed info. and study of it: Lessons From History, by Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Or some figures with references given:

21st Century British Nationalism: From 1900 - 2007 The Crisis Begins

If you ever want to escape all that crime over there and have a peaceful time be sure to visit VT. Pretty much the safest state, low crime rate, and some of the least restrictive gun laws in the U.S.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:31 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,113,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Check out the book mentioned here for some detailed info. and study of it: Lessons From History, by Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Or some figures with references given:

21st Century British Nationalism: From 1900 - 2007 The Crisis Begins

If you ever want to escape all that crime over there and have a peaceful time be sure to visit VT. Pretty much the safest state, low crime rate, and some of the least restrictive gun laws in the U.S.
Actually theres no where as peaceful as the Highlands of Scotland and where I live we have never had any shootings in my area and the crime rate is lower. Your lucky if you have any gun owners here, well not like the US. Nearly everyone has a gun there. I know my in laws in MS do and the crime there is very bad. Different culture and ways of dealing with things.

Here if theres a dispute you settle it out here verbally or in a fist fight over there its with a gun.

I am a gun owner myself but I use it for hunting and sporting purposes only.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Actually theres no where as peaceful as the Highlands of Scotland and where I live we have never had any shootings in my area and the crime rate is lower. Your lucky if you have any gun owners here, well not like the US. Nearly everyone has a gun there. I know my in laws in MS do and the crime there is very bad. Different culture and ways of dealing with things.

Here if theres a dispute you settle it out here verbally or in a fist fight over there its with a gun.

I am a gun owner myself but I use it for hunting and sporting purposes only.
MS has a severe poverty problem, among other problems, contributing to its crime rate. It's not the guns there that are the problem. The criminals don't follow gun laws any more than they follow laws against murder or drug dealing. VT is practically swimming in guns (and I know of some legally owned grenades and RPG's around too in addition to plenty of cannons and mortars) and has a very low crime rate. People don't settle all their disputes with guns here. Any shooting will be investigated to see if it was legitimate self-defense. I carry a handgun nearly all the time and I haven't shot anyone yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom