Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2008, 02:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,399 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

With all the conflicting laws, different situations etc., it seems I cannot find an answer and I need some information.

My cousin was born in the UK, she moved to the US 27 years ago, and has since settled and now has 2 daughters, who are 17 and 8.
My cousin is and always has been a British Citizen, but her 2 daughters are American. Her 8-year-old daughter has a condition which has caused her to lose her sight and she needs her mother to take care of her full time. My question is in 2 parts really;

1. As my cousin's daughters are under 18, can they claim British passports?

2. If yes, then as a British citizen in the US, would her 8 year old daughter be entitled to any disability benefits as she has almost no entitlement here in the US, and has to stay here because of dual custody arrangements etc.

I just feel this is a hugely complicated situation, but surely, there must be some entitlement somewhere?

Can anyone help?

Many, many thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2008, 06:18 PM

177 posts, read 815,115 times
[quote=trsk2000;6325581]Hello all,

With all the conflicting laws, different situations etc., it seems I cannot find an answer and I need some information.

My cousin was born in the UK, she moved to the US 27 years ago, and has since settled and now has 2 daughters,who are 17 and 8.
My cousin is and always has been a British Citizen, but her 2 daughters are American. Her 8-year-old daughter has a condition which has caused her to lose her sight and she needs her mother to take care of her full time. My question is in 2 parts really;

1. As my cousin's daughters are under 18, can they claim British passports?

Yes, if they have a parent that is British they can claim British citizenship. Apply at the British embassy in Washington DC.

2. If yes, then as a British citizen in the US, would her 8 year old daughter be entitled to any disability benefits as she has almost no entitlement here in the US, and has to stay here because of dual custody arrangements etc.

I don't think you would be able to claim British disability benefits here in the US - I believe it is a residency issue - they would need to be in the UK to claim. Why can't they claim US benefits as they are American afterall through Medical or whatever?

I just feel this is a hugely complicated situation, but surely, there must be some entitlement somewhere?

Old 11-28-2008, 11:52 AM

267 posts, read 1,287,505 times
mumof3 is correct. You can't claim any benefits without being a full time resident of the UK. I believe the only exception of any sort of government payments going abroad are to pensioners living in some parts of Europe.

Old 11-28-2008, 11:54 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,323,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trsk2000 View Post
but surely, there must be some entitlement somewhere?
Much as I sympathise with your cousin and her daughter, why would someone born abroad, who has spent their whole life abroad, feel entitled to claim social security in this country? No wonder the economy is in such a mess when so many see Britain as a soft touch. Your cousin has chosen her country of residence.

Old 12-11-2008, 05:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,399 times
I know it was a longshot, and in principle I agree with what you said, it's just that the state they live in does next to nothing to help her and so many people I know have found loopholes and get to claim benefits from different countries. It breaks my heart to see them struggling and I just thought that as an 8-year-old British citizen in the US, she may have entitlement somewhere.

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
Much as I sympathise with your cousin and her daughter, why would someone born abroad, who has spent their whole life abroad, feel entitled to claim social security in this country? No wonder the economy is in such a mess when so many see Britain as a soft touch. Your cousin has chosen her country of residence.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:53 PM

536 posts, read 1,538,548 times
She could apply for Social Security Income (SSI) and if she is able to work (when she becomes of age) she can qualify for SSDI which is more money and she is able to earn up to $990 a month without penalities. I wonder why she has not applied for SSI? Blind people automatically qualify. Keep in mind, blind people CAN work but the type of work they can find is going to be limited. Good luck.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:18 PM

163 posts, read 320,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post

Very well said

Old 12-17-2008, 02:08 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richt71 View Post
mumof3 is correct. You can't claim any benefits without being a full time resident of the UK. I believe the only exception of any sort of government payments going abroad are to pensioners living in some parts of Europe.

And I think you have to make a certain amount of national insurance payments before you can us the NHS anyway. Not sure though.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:59 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,323,332 times
Not true.

Anyone can turn up and be treated for free. We used to have to provide free services and items for all sorts of Indians visiting relatives.

There are also people in Poland claiming benefits on the basis of a relative working in the UK.

Old 12-17-2008, 04:38 PM

16,668 posts, read 17,433,087 times
We are not a spong for the rest of the world.

Help your cousin out in any way you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom