Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 12:48 AM

339 posts, read 1,262,685 times

Advertisements

I suppose I should just add that Radios are included in this tax, but if you just have a radio then you get a reduced rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 07:25 AM

183 posts, read 396,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by collinsl View Post
I suppose I should just add that Radios are included in this tax, but if you just have a radio then you get a reduced rate.
Or more likely they will just hound you as they won't believe you don't have a TV!

Happened to someone I know after they got rid of their TV when it broke down. He decided not to replace it as he hardly watched it. Letter after letter came through his door about him not paying his licence tax, er fee, even threatening to take him to court. He phoned on numerous occasions to sort it out but to no avail.

Old 12-31-2008, 09:17 AM

339 posts, read 1,262,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tartanlad View Post
Or more likely they will just hound you as they won't believe you don't have a TV!

Happened to someone I know after they got rid of their TV when it broke down. He decided not to replace it as he hardly watched it. Letter after letter came through his door about him not paying his licence tax, er fee, even threatening to take him to court. He phoned on numerous occasions to sort it out but to no avail.
I agree that they are a little over the top.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:02 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,509,594 times
I have been told that in America a portion of our taxes goes towards PBS. I am not sure if that is true I tried googling and found nothing about that.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:43 PM
RH1

1,160 posts, read 4,234,109 times
Damn right that the Govt should catch up with skivers eventually because it just makes it more expensive for the rest of us inthe long run. Well I say bravo for the nhs. My other half was recently very ill and although it wasn;t exactly a bupa experience, it wasn't at all bad, and it undoubtably saved his life. I can't ask more than that, and they clearly knew their priorities when it came down to it. I can't seriously say a word against them, and they have my utmost respect.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:58 PM

33 posts, read 92,334 times
It's fairly simply - if you don't want to pay the license fee, don't own a television. The same reasoning behind people who complain about vehicle excise duty or VAT. If you don't want to pay those, either get the bus or don't buy crap

I left the UK 3 years ago but I really miss the BBC. BBC America is okay as a substitute I guess, but it's really frustrating seeing my favourite shows get interrupted by commercials. FWIW, I think the quality of the BBC News is much better than CNN, and the documentaries are great. Then again, the production values that US TV has for its drama and comedy shows are much better - probably *because* they have commercial pressures and advertisers to keep happy.

The BBC also makes a shedload of money by licensing out its TV shows to other countries - The Weakest Link, Strictly Come Dancing and even Life on Mars have been remade by US tv companies in the recent past; I believe that the income from this kind of activity actually helps the license fee stay down - and don't forget that the beeb also offers a lot of services - radio, internet etc - as standard.

Personally, I couldn't survive life inthe US with Radio Devon bringing me coverage of the Torquay United matches

Old 01-05-2009, 11:06 AM

33 posts, read 118,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaggard View Post
It's fairly simply - if you don't want to pay the license fee, don't own a television. The same reasoning behind people who complain about vehicle excise duty or VAT. If you don't want to pay those, either get the bus or don't buy crap

I left the UK 3 years ago but I really miss the BBC. BBC America is okay as a substitute I guess, but it's really frustrating seeing my favourite shows get interrupted by commercials. FWIW, I think the quality of the BBC News is much better than CNN, and the documentaries are great. Then again, the production values that US TV has for its drama and comedy shows are much better - probably *because* they have commercial pressures and advertisers to keep happy.

The BBC also makes a shedload of money by licensing out its TV shows to other countries - The Weakest Link, Strictly Come Dancing and even Life on Mars have been remade by US tv companies in the recent past; I believe that the income from this kind of activity actually helps the license fee stay down - and don't forget that the beeb also offers a lot of services - radio, internet etc - as standard.

Personally, I couldn't survive life inthe US with Radio Devon bringing me coverage of the Torquay United matches
I AGREE ... except the Radio Devon part

Old 01-05-2009, 07:51 PM

271 posts, read 1,236,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitokenshi View Post
I have been told that in America a portion of our taxes goes towards PBS. I am not sure if that is true I tried googling and found nothing about that.
It is less than $1 per person per year.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:36 PM

442 posts, read 1,578,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch5 View Post

In the end they sent an inspector on a Sunday afternoon in the hope to catch us out watching TV!!!
I need to visit these international boards more often to remind myself I'm thankful to live in the USofA..haha! Only a partial joke, relax!! But from all of these posts it seems citizens of USA and citizens of UK parallel in one way or another.

Well how do you compare UK programming to USA? Here, aside from MTV, VH1, etc. we have FoodNetwork/FoodTv, TBS (replays of sitcoms from other national networks such as NBC, ABC, Fox, etc), LifeTime and Oxygen (women's issues), TMC (classic movies from Charlie Chaplain to Elvis), PBS (our public network..probably compares to BBC).

Does the government rule what can be shown on BBC, and to what extent, are they very strict? Here we have the FCC or something of the sort, an agency that censors and regulates what is broadcasted (to what extent, I'm not sure).

Old 01-07-2009, 04:31 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,115,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyMissAshley View Post
I need to visit these international boards more often to remind myself I'm thankful to live in the USofA..haha! Only a partial joke, relax!! But from all of these posts it seems citizens of USA and citizens of UK parallel in one way or another.

Well how do you compare UK programming to USA? Here, aside from MTV, VH1, etc. we have FoodNetwork/FoodTv, TBS (replays of sitcoms from other national networks such as NBC, ABC, Fox, etc), LifeTime and Oxygen (women's issues), TMC (classic movies from Charlie Chaplain to Elvis), PBS (our public network..probably compares to BBC).

Does the government rule what can be shown on BBC, and to what extent, are they very strict? Here we have the FCC or something of the sort, an agency that censors and regulates what is broadcasted (to what extent, I'm not sure).

We get just about the same amount of US cable TV programming here in Scotland. I have over 40 with my package. I didn't find there to be much of a difference from watching TV over at my in laws in SC and MS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom