U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 09:05 AM

8,257 posts, read 11,004,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wileynj View Post
I totally get where you're coming from! They are real beauties!!!

Now thats funny! Of course that pic could make a few New Jersey wankers stand up. But us Tennessee boys? Nope. We prefer Shetland ponies!!! Merry Christmas!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 09:07 AM

183 posts, read 246,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblueeyes01 View Post
No
Any reason why you think it wouldn't be a good place to live?

Certainly if anyone is trying to escape the economic crisis in the USA, they might find very little difference here or anywhere in the UK.

I wouldn't discourage anyone from moving to Scotland it has some nice places to live, just not necessarily the cheapest.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:22 AM

7,556 posts, read 10,663,904 times
Spent some time in Scotland. It would not make my Top 20, but then again it beats a lot of places. Good beer. Nice people, although believing there is a dinosaur-sized marine creature in the lake is a bit of a whopper. Good music- Travis, Marmalade, anyone remember Big Country? Is Rod Stewart really Scottish?

Old 12-24-2008, 11:17 AM

7,577 posts, read 14,662,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
Now thats funny! Of course that pic could make a few New Jersey wankers stand up. But us Tennessee boys? Nope. We prefer Shetland ponies!!! Merry Christmas!!!
Merry Christmas to you too Capt. Dan... extend my wishes to your pal Forest as well

Old 12-24-2008, 03:10 PM

10,351 posts, read 6,219,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvSimonCowell View Post
Would i say i am happy living in Scotland...............no. This is for many reasons.

Speaking as someone who lives in Scotland & wants to move to the US. I agree there is an economic crisis in the UK just like the US but i still believe the cost of living is slightly cheaper in the US. Granted i have not lived in the US & am only basing this on when i have been on holiday but you still get a general feel for the cost of living.

Houses - you get far more house for your money in the US. After lots of research i know i would get an extra 1/2 bedrooms, den, pool & generally larger rooms for the same as what i pay in the UK.

Heating/lighting costs - these seem on par as the US but if you think about it i am paying the same heat/electric as someone in the US who has a much larger house.

Gas/petrol - my jaw dropped when we filled our hire car up with gas. It costs us $100 at any one time to fill up our car in the UK.

Eating out - i found this a lot cheaper than in the UK.

Clothes - OMG!! So much cheaper.

Toys - We spent a Xmas in Orlando & bought my son a lot of things when we arrived. I couldn't believe that some of the toys we bought him in the US would have cost us double back in the UK.

Crime - everywhere has crime & this will never stop. One thing i have to say is, in all the time we have spent in Orlando we personally never saw anything. We heard plenty on the news etc & we know it happens. There are some horrible crimes committed in Scotland and when you compare the size and population of Scotland to Florida, Florida is not that worse.

People & way of life - We have met so many nice people each time we have visited. The only rude people we met were foreigners & fellow Brits!! We saw a fight in Old Town on New Years Eve which was not nice but i see worse outside my bedroom window every Sat night!! I like the way of life.

The main reason we would like to move to Florida........................the weather. This may seem silly but I am a sunshine person through & through. Even when we were in Orlando in Dec & it was classed as "cold" it was still hot to us, lol.

I know living is Florida is completely different to being on holiday. All i can say is at the moment i only positive comments on Orlando.

Thats my 2pence worth.

Julie

Hi Julie.

I admire your desire to want to live in the US, but going on vacation and to Orlando of all places gives you little idea of the real cost of living in the US.

Being a holidaymaker and actually living there are so different.

I'm sure many could enlighten you, but it's just advice.

Check out healthcare insurance for one.

As for weather, it is great, but you do have to be aware of tropical storms and worse.

As to wanting to move to Scotland from the US to escape the financial crisis- you're joking!

Old 12-24-2008, 04:05 PM

2,941 posts, read 5,045,007 times
My fiance has only lived in the Southern US states but has found some things to be cheaper here and some not so cheap. Depends what you want.

Scotland has many qualities. Like everywhere, but it's not 3rd world or a dangerous place to live in that sense. Cost of living is higher here but you pay more taxes in the U.S and not to mention hefty health insurance.

Old 12-24-2008, 04:08 PM

5,555 posts, read 4,089,025 times
Glasgow? Really? Edinburgh or any other city, but not Glasgow. But then some may know better than I.

Old 12-25-2008, 03:46 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,045,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
Glasgow? Really? Edinburgh or any other city, but not Glasgow. But then some may know better than I.
Glasgow is a wonderful city, I am not that far away, it is a young city with hundreds of students, tourists, pubs, clubs, chic restaurants and not to mention trendy boutiques.

Glasgow and Edinburgh are chalk and cheese. I have family in Edinburgh, its quaint, historic, beautiful, nightlife is ok but it lacks quality designer shopping, thats why you see all the eastern people flocking the Glasgow boutiques.

Old 12-25-2008, 05:51 PM

1,235 posts, read 1,581,803 times
How would the original poster get a work permit for Scotland anyway? Aren't those a bit tricky to obtain?

Also, when talking Scottish bands - don't forget Idlewild.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:59 AM

8,257 posts, read 11,004,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCEddie View Post
How would the original poster get a work permit for Scotland anyway? Aren't those a bit tricky to obtain?

Also, when talking Scottish bands - don't forget Idlewild.
Or Stone the Crows!!! Maybe thats too old of a Scottish band for some to remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom