U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-26-2008, 08:37 AM
 
Location: London, KY
656 posts, read 922,816 times
Reputation: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
I love Alabama and Mississippi, we go there alot as my fiance is from there though Florida looks nice but i don't wanna dodge hurricanes

If I could live anywhere in the U.S it would either be North Carolina or South Carolina. I spent 3 weeks there and it was amazing. I wish my in laws still lived there!
Good choice on North Carolina. We vacationed at Oak Island last summer (on the Atlantic Coast) and absolutely loved it. Another nice area is western North Carolina..near Asheville and Hickory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-26-2008, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Axarquía, Andalucía, Spain
2,941 posts, read 4,991,682 times
Reputation: 1687
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryant View Post
Good choice on North Carolina. We vacationed at Oak Island last summer (on the Atlantic Coast) and absolutely loved it. Another nice area is western North Carolina..near Asheville and Hickory.
I was only in Charlotte when I flew into NC from Newark, NJ.

However both South Carolina and North Carolina are gems of places. When I first went to visit my in laws they lived near Columbia, SC and I loved it there, I could have up sticks tomorrow

They are back in Columbus, Mississippi now though I have only been to Amory, Tupelo etc. Mississippi is different but It's a good different.

I have a friend from Long Island, NY (lives here now) she used to live in Asheville and said it was the best place she ever lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2008, 04:36 AM
 
14 posts, read 30,085 times
Reputation: 12
I spent a few weeks in North Carolina near Raleigh and I really loved it. I wish I could live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2008, 09:27 AM
 
Location: Axarquía, Andalucía, Spain
2,941 posts, read 4,991,682 times
Reputation: 1687
For those that want to see what Scotland looks like i've posted pics on the UK picture thread. Mostly of Glasgow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2008, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Charleston, SC
2,501 posts, read 4,712,086 times
Reputation: 776
I spent a few days in Scotland last summer and loved it. Everyone was so friendly and I love the architecture and history....didn't quite warm up to the food, but I could get used to it. I live in Charleston, SC where tourists flock by the tens of thousands each summer and we too have friendly people, tons of charm and quaint architecture (very European) and lots of history (not near as far back as Scotland, of course!). Our prices are much easier to deal with, I'll admit (I just filled my gas tank for $20.49 today)...but when I was in Scotland I kept saying, "I would love to live here!" The grass isn't always greener on the other side, one only finds out after living in a given place long enough to know all of its ins and outs. Wouldn't it be a great idea to be able to trade houses with someone for 6 months to a year to really get a feel for the new country?


My parents (here in Charleston) have friends in Ireland who they trade houses with for a month every few years, just to spend their holiday in a new place without having to pay for lodging.

As for Orlando, FL....it is a fun place to vacation, but I would not want to live there. We are only 5 1/2 hours away and I have family down there, so I go pretty often. It's very new and touristy, not very "homey", I'm afraid....and they have a ghastly high crime rate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2008, 03:02 AM
 
3,924 posts, read 5,165,663 times
Reputation: 2312
KT Tunstall is a good singer, and she is Scottish (from St.Andrews)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2008, 06:01 AM
 
Location: Axarquía, Andalucía, Spain
2,941 posts, read 4,991,682 times
Reputation: 1687
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
KT Tunstall is a good singer, and she is Scottish (from St.Andrews)
It's a shame that you don't hear much of her now that shes in the states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2008, 11:08 AM
 
Location: Houston, TX
12 posts, read 17,524 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvSimonCowell View Post
Would i say i am happy living in Scotland...............no. This is for many reasons.

Speaking as someone who lives in Scotland & wants to move to the US. I agree there is an economic crisis in the UK just like the US but i still believe the cost of living is slightly cheaper in the US. Granted i have not lived in the US & am only basing this on when i have been on holiday but you still get a general feel for the cost of living.

Houses - you get far more house for your money in the US. After lots of research i know i would get an extra 1/2 bedrooms, den, pool & generally larger rooms for the same as what i pay in the UK.

Heating/lighting costs - these seem on par as the US but if you think about it i am paying the same heat/electric as someone in the US who has a much larger house.

Gas/petrol - my jaw dropped when we filled our hire car up with gas. It costs us $100 at any one time to fill up our car in the UK.

Eating out - i found this a lot cheaper than in the UK.

Clothes - OMG!! So much cheaper.

Toys - We spent a Xmas in Orlando & bought my son a lot of things when we arrived. I couldn't believe that some of the toys we bought him in the US would have cost us double back in the UK.

Crime - everywhere has crime & this will never stop. One thing i have to say is, in all the time we have spent in Orlando we personally never saw anything. We heard plenty on the news etc & we know it happens. There are some horrible crimes committed in Scotland and when you compare the size and population of Scotland to Florida, Florida is not that worse.


People & way of life - We have met so many nice people each time we have visited. The only rude people we met were foreigners & fellow Brits!! We saw a fight in Old Town on New Years Eve which was not nice but i see worse outside my bedroom window every Sat night!! I like the way of life.

The main reason we would like to move to Florida........................the weather. This may seem silly but I am a sunshine person through & through. Even when we were in Orlando in Dec & it was classed as "cold" it was still hot to us, lol.

I know living is Florida is completely different to being on holiday. All i can say is at the moment i only positive comments on Orlando.

Thats my 2pence worth.

Julie
I bolded this...
I must say I would only hear that from someone who only stayed in the well controlled, tourist-y areas. I have tons of friends in Orlando, and they claim it to be a rotten, dirty city. That may be a little biased since they do live in the worst parts, but still. Even more so, from what I heard the UK has a strong police force, I've only been there once and it's probably about on par with the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-30-2008, 08:07 PM
 
11 posts, read 19,166 times
Reputation: 16
No

CRIME - Scotland has very high violent crime rates, and Glasgow has smore public housing than anywhere else in the UK and is the Europe's violent capital.

WEATHER - The climate in Glasgow is a huge change from England, it rains mostly everyday and it has a sub-arctic climate which makes it very dull.

COST - For some reason, unless you want to live in a bad area housing is expensive in Scotland, and so is Gas/Fuel which is current approx. $2.20/ litre. Most electrical goods are imported and are also very expensive.

OTHER SUGGESTIONS:

Liverpool:

Very nice city with lots of history and reasonable house prices and for some reason Gas is a lot cheaper: $1.80/litre. It has its bad parts, Croxteth, Toxteth, Speke etc. but they are easily avoided, best areas are Childwall, Crosby, Formby, Wirral and just outside the city in Widnes and Southport. I would recommend Widnes as I lived there until I was 13 and have family there. I found it a great place to live, it now has a bowling alley, cinema, shopping centre creating about 5000 jobs and lots of restaurants. Areas to live in: Farnworth, Cronton, Lunts Heath, Hough Green. Area's to avoid: the "Aves" which consist of the Avenues around Stewards Ave (which is a very small area) and some parts of Ditton.

BRIDLINGTON/SCARBOROUGH, YORKSHIRE

I went here one when I was 12 and have visited many times since because I LOVE it. Both small sea side resorts with lots to do, e.g Aquarium, Beach etc. If you are an active person this is probably the better option, but with it being a popular seaside resort, during the summer crime can get high and housing is expensive so I think Liverpool and it's less known seaside resorts of Southport, Crosby and West Kirby are better options and Liverpool is more cosmopolitan with huge plans for the future!

Sorry if you wasn't looking for suggestions but I think there are better places to live than Scotland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2008, 04:39 AM
 
Location: Axarquía, Andalucía, Spain
2,941 posts, read 4,991,682 times
Reputation: 1687
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamInOZ View Post
No

CRIME - Scotland has very high violent crime rates, and Glasgow has smore public housing than anywhere else in the UK and is the Europe's violent capital.

WEATHER - The climate in Glasgow is a huge change from England, it rains mostly everyday and it has a sub-arctic climate which makes it very dull.

COST - For some reason, unless you want to live in a bad area housing is expensive in Scotland, and so is Gas/Fuel which is current approx. $2.20/ litre. Most electrical goods are imported and are also very expensive.

OTHER SUGGESTIONS:

Liverpool:

Very nice city with lots of history and reasonable house prices and for some reason Gas is a lot cheaper: $1.80/litre. It has its bad parts, Croxteth, Toxteth, Speke etc. but they are easily avoided, best areas are Childwall, Crosby, Formby, Wirral and just outside the city in Widnes and Southport. I would recommend Widnes as I lived there until I was 13 and have family there. I found it a great place to live, it now has a bowling alley, cinema, shopping centre creating about 5000 jobs and lots of restaurants. Areas to live in: Farnworth, Cronton, Lunts Heath, Hough Green. Area's to avoid: the "Aves" which consist of the Avenues around Stewards Ave (which is a very small area) and some parts of Ditton.

BRIDLINGTON/SCARBOROUGH, YORKSHIRE

I went here one when I was 12 and have visited many times since because I LOVE it. Both small sea side resorts with lots to do, e.g Aquarium, Beach etc. If you are an active person this is probably the better option, but with it being a popular seaside resort, during the summer crime can get high and housing is expensive so I think Liverpool and it's less known seaside resorts of Southport, Crosby and West Kirby are better options and Liverpool is more cosmopolitan with huge plans for the future!

Sorry if you wasn't looking for suggestions but I think there are better places to live than Scotland.


Wow oh wee, tell me something have you ever lived here in Scotland? Or are you just judging by what you hear from people that have never been?

Glasgow like many cities has changed its image and for the better. It's cosmopolitan, it has a rich culture and has a great nightlife scene. We also have many tourists and students living here. You have bad areas which are in the outskirts but the city itself is beautiful and has rich areas like Hyndland, west end. Housing is expensive in any nice area you want to live.

Where I live in a small village and housing is expensive but housing in the Highlands are alot more expensive than here, even in England it can be expensive. Again i do not know where you are getting this nonesense.

Now onto weather, the weather here is just like it is anywhere else in the UK, it rains in England too. It hasn't rained here in 1 week. Again i do not know where you are sourcing your crap from. Sub artic? Man you need to get out more. The average temperature here is 50 degrees. Not exactly sub-artic like you claim.

If there are better places to live than Scotland then why do we have so many foreigners living amongst us Scots?? It is not the cesspool that you make it out to be as proven.
I would rather be here than in London, once was enough for me down in that part of England.

I suggest that you do some homework and actually visit before slanting my country. There is more to my beautiful country than just Glasgow and slandering the city just shows me how ignorant you really are Because I can asure you that England is just like Scotland and has its problems like everywhere else. This is coming from a person that has been all over Europe and the U.S.


For those that want to know more


http://www.seeglasgow.com/seeglasgow/about-glasgow

Average weather stats. Couldn't get Glasgow but Edinburgh is similar.

http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...omnav_business

Comparing with London, there is practically no difference in climate

http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...omnav_business

Yeah Glasgow is dull, crime ridden and ugly

No body wants to visit


Last edited by Scotslass; 12-31-2008 at 05:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top