Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 02:53 PM

13,032 posts, read 24,557,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
I probably would ask for help, perhaps even mercy if it means saving lives, but I doubt I'd be sending rockets. Both parties are wrong, you send two rockets, I'll send three bombs. You send four rockets, I'll send five bombs. Where does it end?
To a certain extent I do agree with you. I don't think Hamas is exactly helping the situation along but I do believe that desperate people do desperate things . If I was starved, and basically kept away from my fields by a big wall, if my children had been blown up by continous bombings I suspect I might start taking the law into my own hands. Palestinians have asked for help and mercy for over 6 decades now, to no avail. What is left for them to do ? Just lie down and die quietly whilst their livelihoods and lives are being destroyed ?

We would not be so accepting of this semi-genocide if it was happening to White Europeans. But they are "just" "Arabs", people most in the West do not relate to and quite frankly our lack of empathy, understanding and compassion makes me feel quite sick. I have been to Palestine and most Palestinians are normal human beings who just want the same thing you and I. They want to be able to go to work in the morning, look after their kids and loved ones, love, laugh, and enjoy life. Most voted for Hamas because there is nothing else. Terrorism is not a way of life it is a last resort.

Sadly the vicious circle of terror and pain just carries on and too many innocent people die. On both sides of the argument, though in my opinion Palestinians are getting a much rougher deal by a long, long way. I do wish both sides could get together and agree to live side by side in peace but at the moment it is looking pretty bleak.

Israel has used state sponsored terrorism for decades now which is not exactly better than "street" terrorism.

The problem for us in the West from a purely self-interested point of view is that until reason prevails ( on BOTH sides) the Middle East will remain a tinder box and some radicalised Muslims will end up committing atrocities ( just as Israel commits them too on a daily basis).

It is an extremely emotive issue and at the end of the day we have created the problem by favouring Israel in a rather grandiosely overt manner since 1948. You cannot "disinherit" a people in favour of another one by creating a Nation out of thin air and good intentions.

Israelis do have a right to their own nation and to live in Peace but so do Palestinians. The balance has to be re-dressed otherwise we will ALL end up paying for our rather dubious foreign policies and allegiances...

Last edited by Mooseketeer; 01-05-2009 at 03:06 PM..

Old 01-05-2009, 03:01 PM

5,976 posts, read 15,196,299 times
Well said... reps for you.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:56 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,221,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
To a certain extent I do agree with you. I don't think Hamas is exactly helping the situation along but I do believe that desperate people do desperate things . If I was starved, and basically kept away from my fields by a big wall, if my children had been blown up by continous bombings I suspect I might start taking the law into my own hands. Palestinians have asked for help and mercy for over 6 decades now, to no avail. What is left for them to do ? Just lie down and die quietly whilst their livelihoods and lives are being destroyed ?

We would not be so accepting of this semi-genocide if it was happening to White Europeans. But they are "just" "Arabs", people most in the West do not relate to and quite frankly our lack of empathy, understanding and compassion makes me feel quite sick. I have been to Palestine and most Palestinians are normal human beings who just want the same thing you and I. They want to be able to go to work in the morning, look after their kids and loved ones, love, laugh, and enjoy life. Most voted for Hamas because there is nothing else. Terrorism is not a way of life it is a last resort.

Sadly the vicious circle of terror and pain just carries on and too many innocent people die. On both sides of the argument, though in my opinion Palestinians are getting a much rougher deal by a long, long way. I do wish both sides could get together and agree to live side by side in peace but at the moment it is looking pretty bleak.

Israel has used state sponsored terrorism for decades now which is not exactly better than "street" terrorism.

The problem for us in the West from a purely self-interested point of view is that until reason prevails ( on BOTH sides) the Middle East will remain a tinder box and some radicalised Muslims will end up committing atrocities ( just as Israel commits them too on a daily basis).

It is an extremely emotive issue and at the end of the day we have created the problem by favouring Israel in a rather grandiosely overt manner since 1948. You cannot "disinherit" a people in favour of another one by creating a Nation out of thin air and good intentions.

Israelis do have a right to their own nation and to live in Peace but so do Palestinians. The balance has to be re-dressed otherwise we will ALL end up paying for our rather dubious foreign policies and allegiances...

Excellent post. I couldn't have put it better.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:11 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,711,789 times
Even though this a very current and discussion-worthy topic, it really has no place in the UK forum.

UK forum members who wish to continue the debate should do so in City Data's Politics forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom