Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 04:59 PM

124 posts, read 508,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
You lot? Are you meaning myself aswell? I don't recall seeing that as being "acceptable" my dear. In fact I think it is wrong, any type of racism is wrong in my books.

How do you know who my friends/aquintances are? I've known a few blacks that are pretty high up in my local council and in the aviation industry. Look at the surgeons in the NHS most are non white.

Scotslass, don't worry, Gracie likes the Scots...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
I think the Scotts however does'nt really fall under the same catergory and really are a friendly bunch unlike the Fooking english, who love to behave like dogs abroad and roam like their cut above the rest and think the world owes them something.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 01-11-2009 at 08:53 PM..

Old 01-11-2009, 05:04 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,103,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachiie View Post
Scotslass, don't worry, Gracie likes the Scots...
I feel honoured

Speaking of i dont know anyone that dislikes Scottish people. I'm being sincere when i say that.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:24 PM

72,874 posts, read 62,362,868 times
The UK isn't immuned from racial prejudice. It exists and don't let anyone tell you different. With that said, the UK doesn't have the same narrative as say, USA or South Africa. In the UK, sure some slaves were kept there, but the UK abolished slavery in its own empire without a bullet being fired. The USA did abolished slavery, but only after a war was fought and after that, there were still people who felt the need to keep blacks subservient and at a slave status. There were even associations dedicated to making sure blacks didn't have any say in their place in society. The UK didn't have that.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:21 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,285,917 times
Quote:
Ive heard it all before, and no, it doesnt mean england is no less racist just because theres every frigging language spoken or heard of. I know, i lived there for a long time!!

When was the last time, you ever seen a non-white having public service management role? or even in the armed forces or even in the Health services??... I know of an Indian guy who sat high up in the met police but even he went public after being dismissed from his racist superiors. Did'nt they find the incompetent met police of institutional racism after they made an investigation due to the steven laurence case??

uk is loooonnngggg way away from being what it is here in the US..

You say Obama was a start?? Man, you folks have no idea.

Labour ‘racism’ would block British Obama, says Trevor Phillips - Times Online
Yet look how many of the top doctors are Indian or Pakistani. Black people and Asians haven't been around in the UK for as long as the black people have been around in the US (used as slaves for a long time), so naturally, it'll take longer for ethnic minorities to climb to the top. Eventually, I'm sure there would be no problem with the UK having a black Prime Minister.

The UK was never "segregated" like the South in the US. Even though there are less black people there as a % of the population, you tend to see more mixed race marriages and you tend to see less "ghetto", because ethnic minorities tend to branch out and mix with the white British a lot better and aren't confined to poor, dangerous areas, subjected to gang-banging from day one.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:22 AM

715 posts, read 2,084,574 times
Quote:
You lot? Are you meaning myself aswell? I don't recall seeing that as being "acceptable" my dear. In fact I think it is wrong, any type of racism is wrong in my books.

How do you know who my friends/aquintances are? I've known a few blacks that are pretty high up in my local council and in the aviation industry. Look at the surgeons in the NHS most are non white.
Look luv, reason being most surgeons and nurses are non white is because the english government sold its people short, it couldnt be bothered to pay them well enough to keep em so they go overseas to fill the shortage whilst not maintaining proper education and training for the future for its own citizens, thats the only reason why their in there, not as a means of appreciating them whether they like them or not!!

You want to know what racial equality is? We have various people of different ethnic background that are mayors, board of directors, fire chiefs, police chiefs, senators, governors. Right accross the board!!! i have lived in the uk for many many years and if theres anyone behind, uk would certainly be one of them. Then again, rest of europe is pretty much the same. english tend to be the more annoying bunch since their the biggest hyprocrites going and very self righteous sobs..

Old 01-12-2009, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Look luv, reason being most surgeons and nurses are non white is because the english government sold its people short, it couldnt be bothered to pay them well enough to keep em so they go overseas to fill the shortage whilst not maintaining proper education and training for the future for its own citizens, thats the only reason why their in there, not as a means of appreciating them whether they like them or not!!

It's called diversity

I beg to differ, you must have a professional degree to become a nurse which is recognised world wide like in Scotland. Same applies to doctors, surgeons. No Mickey Mouse degrees, im talking about the real McCoy.

With my degree i can work as a RN world wide. At the prospects of getting a starting salary of £25,000 here in my area damn straight im working here.

Believe me those immigrants earn more than the average Scot. Those people are only trying to better themselves, if they wanna move here then thats their decision

Old 01-12-2009, 05:24 AM

65 posts, read 291,869 times
I'd like to remind everyone that the UK and the US have very different histories and can't be compared to each other without keeping that glaring fact front and center. The UK has never had a huge population of hideously mistreated slaves who were freed after 250 years. If they had, you'd better believe that the whites would have devised some kind of system of control to minimize the threat of retributive slaughter. Wrong? Of course. Entirely human? Sure thing.

As an American, I'd like to remind those who are getting a little judgy-judgy about US racial history, and seem to think the UK has a blameless past by comparision, of the treatment that colored peoples across the globe received from the British Empire.

Every country and every people is capable of hideous cruelty and prejudice as well as kindness and tolerance.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:25 AM

1,348 posts, read 3,581,248 times
Far better than race relations in the US, thats for sure.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xavierob82 View Post
Far better than race relations in the US, thats for sure.
And how is that? Do you have proof?

Race relations have always been better here, speaking of Scotland. People here are warm and friendly, we don't discriminate like some nations or have a dark past with racism.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:00 AM

715 posts, read 2,084,574 times
Quote:
It's called diversity

I beg to differ, you must have a professional degree to become a nurse which is recognised world wide like in Scotland. Same applies to doctors, surgeons. No Mickey Mouse degrees, im talking about the real McCoy.

With my degree i can work as a RN world wide. At the prospects of getting a starting salary of £25,000 here in my area damn straight im working here.

Believe me those immigrants earn more than the average Scot. Those people are only trying to better themselves, if they wanna move here then thats their decision

LOL....HAHAHA...

25k and i bet you threw a party for that huh??

25k is peanutttttttsss. Considering the amount of hassle a would be professional gets from working in the nhs. I know this for sure because my wife worked under the nhs. She woke up and had a reality check when all her friends boasted about the much much better conditions they were working in, under an American system. Ohh and the money? starting salary for her was $80k a year that was 3 years ago and now she's earning double that!, with much better benefits and most importantly, miles better working conditions cuz everybody gets equal respect and proper recognition.
You wanna talk about diversity, hows about putting real top notch people whatever their color of skin in managerial and other heads of department in their right place rather than making sure it being a white person just for the fact that they are white!!..
You have overseas nurses coming into the infamous nhs working for peanuts, and will have to suck someones backside to get some slack. It'll take years and years until theres no one to chose but a lone non white to fill that position. Over here, you fit the bill and some, sir/mam, you got the job!! Thats not only diversity but respect.

Word gets round very fast, and trust me. When they find out through word of mouth of how much greener pasture it is on the other side, they jump ship in a heartbeat, believe me. A lot have done, cuz i recruited numerous amounts of them to come work over here and they luvvv it. They ask me, why didnt they know about it sooner.

Its funny how my wife would tell me about her place would have these english nurses coming to work here and how incompetent they are, they dont even know how to administer a drip without breaking a needle and not knowing how to get it into a blood vessel. Not experienced enough in reading an EKG when they boasted of how good they are. In the end they either get fired or simply leave. Not even funny anymore.

Now you seem to think my beef is against the Scots, when really i dont, i know their friendly bunch as ive said many other times. I do know the english has shoved you guys more than one can count with two hands, and its sad how you are still continually run by westminster!!

I've lived in england for 29 yrs, since i was 4yrs old. We would have relatives coming over from the USA and they asked us all the time, "Is that how you guys and non whites get treated". Only when i started to have a family of my own did i get a "wake up call", i didnt want my kids getting the same treatment nor do i want them deprived of the oppurtunities that my American cousins & friends was boasting to me over the years.

Over here, people of all colors, creed, religion really do take the time to know various people of all kind and the big difference is, mutual respect and recognition and it is not only encouraged but embraced in schools.
This is where i saw, NOT all whites were all the same, that they too can be respectful and have a genuine concern for other beings.
This was the only place where a white person can come upto me and call me "Sir" or my wife "Mam" those words ushered from people who are high up in terms rank and are far better off than we are. And thats flattering to say the least!!

For once in our lives, we feel like we belong somewhere other than our motherland and are a part of what they call the beacon of what it really means to be equal and feel like a real person. That would be good ole America. In all the years i lived in the uk, i never once felt that, always the outsider, the english did a good job in that!! For once i can say, This is my home, i belong here, people are generally nice and respectful. Ofcourse this is not utopia but sure beats uk in more ways than i can think of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.