Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Where would you live if you had the chance?
Deep south U.S.A 8 36.36%
Australia (Brisbane, Adelaide or Perth area) 14 63.64%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 03:39 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
I thought your boyfriend had a job offer in Colorado and was going to move to Wyoming? I knew quite a few nurses in the 80's who either moved to Canada or USA and most haven't regreted it. If you want warm climate in USA, California isn't a bad choice.
No i had told everyone it fell through with the oil industry is a bit iffy so he got a job in MS, not sure how life there will be but im going to visit when i get time off uni.

My fiance is very open minded he quite fancies Oz for a change but he has no clue what to expect. I know alot of good friends that have moved to Perth and they adore the place.

Quote:
Australia, hands down (as long as they have some sort of universal healthcare system).
Yeah, its very similar to the UK.

Quote:
You know what's really funny. When I saw the title of this thread the first thought I had was that I would have liked to have lived in the Scottish highlands. How surprised I was to see this OP was composed by a Scottish lady. I don't know about you but I think that's kind of weird.

Why the highlands you may say, I guess it's because I still have these images of the beautiful lands we have been shown in the movies. My grandmother was from Manchester, England and she always talked about how beautiful Scotland was. I guess she used to visit on occasion. Anyway, just had to mention this because I just thought it was odd. Have a good one Scots, hope wherever you end up you will be happy.
Scotland is a great country to live in, my fiance has really enjoyed his time here but the biggest problems here is the cost of living, the wages just dont do it. Even where i live semi rural its still expensive and even more so up in the highlands

Such a beautiful place but our climate lacks a proper summer and the prospects here are dim due to the recession on our hands.

Good to visit but i would suggest anyone coming to live here to research greatly and have a trade/skill so you can manage the cost of living.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:00 AM

65 posts, read 129,816 times
Default greetings from oz

Melbourne's much better, but I'm biased.

Freiends who run health facilities are crying out for nurses, including agency staff! PS Virginamerica may have promo flights on its related new line ' vaustralia' on 1st Feb. Air NZ currently has a 'throw Australia in for free fare' too. Delta are starting flights in June, and there's Qantas and United's old metalTrawl the websites and drop over for a visit.

I think there's a visa waiver too.

Adelaide is tiny (especially by US standards), gorgeous and in drought and hot. The fishing and wine is great. Visit first.

Brisbane can be humid.

Melbourne is dry heat, not humid, 3 hours to skiing, or Bells Beach, Lorne, etc.

Crime? the population is laregly unarmed so shootings are mainly when crims shoot crims: it controls their ability to spawn. We have the Yarra River to keep the trash on their side.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:11 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,472 times
What about New zealand? it has everything.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
What about New zealand? it has everything.
I looked into NZ but its too far away and again the climate isn't as good as Oz i think but still a nice place.

The Brissy area looks fantastic, i bet theres alot of wildlife there. Actually everywhere looks amazing in Australia

Old 01-25-2009, 09:16 AM

2,926 posts, read 8,572,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post

My parents said they would never move to the US purely because of the crime and that my mother doesn't keep too well so her health insurance would probably be sky high. My mothers cousin is in Perth, she speaks very highly of Australia and there seems to be more Brits there than in the USA.
Although this thread doesn't pertain to me, thought I would throw this out there. Crime is only bad mainly in larger urban inner city areas in the US. That means probably 95% of areas are safe here. The media in the UK probably blows things out of proportion and greatly exaggerates what it reports in the news.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:10 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,472 times
No InLondon, people in the UK have acceess to several american news channels, They see school massacres, people gunned down in shopping malls, and then form their own opinions.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:33 AM

16,670 posts, read 17,435,450 times
I've lived, worked and travelled in the US and UK.

I far prefer going out in the evening in the US than the UK.

It's not so much the high end violent crime that is the main issue, but here in the UK so many otherwise pleasant places are taken over by drunken louts after a certain time.

I'd rather live in the US, but narrowing it down is a tough choice.

Old 01-25-2009, 01:44 PM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
No InLondon, people in the UK have acceess to several american news channels, They see school massacres, people gunned down in shopping malls, and then form their own opinions.

Those things don't happen often and certainly don't happen everywhere. I lived in a Chicago suburb for a little more than a year and saw no crime whatsoever. Even where I live (Windsor) I see more aggressive and threatening behaviour in each and every weekend than I saw in the US.

Old 01-25-2009, 03:21 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,024,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
You know what's really funny. When I saw the title of this thread the first thought I had was that I would have liked to have lived in the Scottish highlands. How surprised I was to see this OP was composed by a Scottish lady. I don't know about you but I think that's kind of weird.

Why the highlands you may say, I guess it's because I still have these images of the beautiful lands we have been shown in the movies. My grandmother was from Manchester, England and she always talked about how beautiful Scotland was. I guess she used to visit on occasion. Anyway, just had to mention this because I just thought it was odd. Have a good one Scots, hope wherever you end up you will be happy.

Funny you should post this, I am from the highlands & now live in North Carolina

Old 01-25-2009, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
Funny you should post this, I am from the highlands & now live in North Carolina
C'mon lets have your input on this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom