Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 09:37 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,113,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Well, not EVERYbody in the UK lives like that! Those are definitely exceptions to the rule . Anyway, yes, the houses will be a lot smaller that what you're used to in the US. Very few will come with more than a single garage, there won't be much garden space, only larger newer houses will have ensuite bathrooms, but I guess it depends on how big of a house you want and are willing to spend, whether buying or renting. I think in that area property isn't really outrageously expensive so you may find a good deal. I don't know who the local realtors are but some sites that may be useful are

Strutt & Parker - Property Consultants and Estate Agents
Commercial & Residential Property Professionals - London & UK - Knight Frank
Estate Agent, Residential Property, Commercial Property, Property Auction - Savills
Worcestershire estate agents, rural and individual residential, equestrian and agricultural properties throughout Worcestershire - John Sanders

I guess it depends where you live, i think you get more bang for your buck here (compared to some areas). Especially where i live my gardens are pretty big and my house is solid brick, (1920s) it is very spacious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 09:42 AM

521 posts, read 1,472,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastrymom View Post
I love that show "How Clean Is Your House". It is an old show, but it gives an insite on how homes are in parts of England. I can't believe people live in such filth.

They did a US version of that show you know & believe me it wasn't pretty.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 02-05-2009 at 03:35 PM..

Old 02-05-2009, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkie Bar View Post

They did a US version of that show you know & believe me it wasn't pretty.
You get filthy people everywhere, pleanty in the US.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 02-05-2009 at 03:35 PM..

Old 02-05-2009, 08:50 PM

3,722 posts, read 4,307,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viralmd View Post
I seconded in the UK for five months. It's a bit of a change, but you and your family should enjoy it. Make SURE you ask for a home that has a US style refrigerator. Many UK homes still have those tiny under-the-counter refrigerators as the sole fridge in the home!

Birmingham (pronounced 'BERmingum' - NOT BERmingham, like the city in Alabama) is an industrial city that was heavily bombed in WW II, because that's where the engines for the RAF planes were manufactured. Of note, if you like dogs, it's also the city where the Crufts dog show is held every spring. It's an AMAZING show - not just conformation, but also obedience, sheepherding, etc.
I'm not sure what type of property you were looking at or lived in the UK, but I wouldn't say the norm is tiny refrigirator and the normal sized ones aren't known as "american style". They are just fridges. Maybe the really huge double door ones with ice despenser on the outside are known as "American style" but even then I've never heard anyone refer to it as that. I've seen the tiny ones in mainly studio/bedsits or in really tiny kitchens, but I wouldn't say they are standard for most homes. Also, Birmingham is pronounced "Bermingham" over here too although "brummies" might pronounce it the way you suggested.

Crufts is a great show and I try to go most years, last year however some disturbing news came up regarding breeders and crufts standards.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:29 PM

18 posts, read 122,429 times
I understand tv shows are just shows and I didn't mean that everyone lives like that. I have seen the American show and yes there are messy people everywhere. I just meant it gave an insite to some of the living in England. Thanks for all your help.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:20 PM

15 posts, read 137,002 times
If you did ask for a US-style refrigerator, I'm not sure many people would really understand what you wanted. I've never seen anyone's house with one of those tiny fridges, so I don't think they're very common.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:27 PM

447 posts, read 1,765,258 times
We just moved back to Texas after spending 3 years in Kent, England.

We loved England. Both my husband and myself worked in London, and took the train daily. We got to visit many places and see many things that many Americans never get to see. You will be ablt to travel to Eastern and Western Europe, plus the Far East.

It was our second time in the UK, the last time without children. However, the first time (in 99 for 3 years, (well 1 year was in Ireland we had our 9 and 13 year old daughters. They went to UK and Irish schools and did not have any problems.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 02-08-2009 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: links to other forums not permitted

Old 02-09-2009, 06:28 AM

337 posts, read 793,507 times
I lived in the UK off and on for about 6 years (ending about 4 years ago). A number of the rental units had the undercounter fridges. I started to see the transition to larger fridges about 7-8 years ago...So depending on the situation...You may still run into the little ones...

I loved my time in the UK. My wife, son and I saw a lot the country and used it for visits to a number of places in europe...Good Luck.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themeone View Post
If you did ask for a US-style refrigerator, I'm not sure many people would really understand what you wanted. I've never seen anyone's house with one of those tiny fridges, so I don't think they're very common.
Are you kidding me? They sell them in just about every electrical store like Currys, Comet. My aunt has one.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:58 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,857,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by themeone View Post
In my experience, they are still very common in flats or small houses in the city. I have one but we live in a very small flat in the city - there just wouldn't be room for a full sized refrigerator. Our apartment building is only 5 or so years old. My brother in law has a two story house though, also in the city, and he too has a mini-refrigerator. His place was just recently built in the last year. My mother in law has an older 2 story home in the city and she has a full sized refrigerator. But oddly (to me, as an American) - her freezer is on the other side of the kitchen, also full sized. I don't see many people with a refrigerator and freezer in one unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom