Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 01:58 PM

3,689 posts, read 10,414,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachiie View Post
There are numerous reasons I am against gun ownership in the UK, just scroll down this link and you will see why...

Accidental Shooting - Daily Bulletin from Gun Policy News (http://www.gunpolicy.org/Topics/Accidental_Shooting.html - broken link)

Nothing will change your mind, I can only suggest not to choose to live in the UK.
You posted a link with about 30 incidents of stupid people. There are over 35% of our country that owns firearms I say over because most of the U.S. does not require registration of any form. the link you provided is still a very very statistically low number of "accidents" compared to the shear number of people that own guns. If you do the % equation based on the gun crime in the U.K. vs. the number of gun owners, I would bet the number would be similar if not more.

Old 03-08-2009, 02:10 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,012 times
Lift the gun laws in the United Kingdom and all those "chavs" you speak of (we have people just like that in America too, FYI) will be armed with guns, not bottles & knives.

As for your comment about rape, that's also a huge problem in the US too; in fact, according to this list, there are more rapes per capita in the US than in the UK:

NationMaster - Rapes (per capita) (most recent) by country

So please feel free to find another argument to justify relaxing the gun laws in the UK, because clearly rape, or fear of rape isn't one of them.

Most British people don't need guns & don't want guns...does that make them any less "free" than any other nation? If the people truly wanted guns, the laws would eventually be changed because believe it or not, Britain is a democracy, for the most part.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 03-08-2009 at 09:48 PM..

Old 03-08-2009, 02:15 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
If the UK had the demographics of the USA your crime rate would probably be through the roof as well. So you don't believe that if firearms prevent just one rape it's worth having armed citizens?
You kind of answered your own question there...."if the UK had the demographics of the USA"....answer: it doesn't. The British feel far less of a need to be armed than most Americans.

Different strokes for different folks....and it doesn't make the British any less "free" than Americans. Look at it this way, perhaps the British feel more "free" by not having to live in a country filled with guns? Why knock them for it?

Old 03-08-2009, 03:38 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,113,777 times
I have to laugh at the comments made by Americans i could expect that much.

Please please come and see for yourself, i've experienced the American way and i'd rather it our way, hence why my fiance moved away from the states.

Problem is the U.S is overrun with gun crime its going to be hard to get it "back to normal". Its not just gang violence, look at your school shootings, or when people argue they shoot each other. Too much power with firearms, its out of control, i can sympathise with the Americans out there that live in fear and arm themselves to the teeth. They feel unsafe because your criminals have guns. I'm glad that I can sleep at night not worrying about such things. See what you don't understand is we do not have that sort of crime here. Even look at Western Europe generally our cities are much safer than your average U.S city.

We don't want your gun laws, you can keep 'em we don't need a gun to protect ourselves because criminals do not use guns here. Plain and simple.

It's like pulling teeth trying to get it through to your thick skulls.

This is Scotland not America.

Old 03-08-2009, 04:35 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Everyone in this thread needs to calm down, IMO. If the British like their gun laws the way they are, so be it. It's their choice, and I don't see what the point is in bashing them for it.

On the other hand, I object to the characterization that we're all "armed to the teeth" in the U.S. For one, a University of Virginia study indicated that about 40 percent of homes in the U.S. own some type of firearm. That's not a majority. Furthermore, just because folks own weapons doesn't mean they carry them on their person whenever they're in public. I don't know of anyone who does. Most don't have a permit. So, it's wrong to think that we're all walking around over here like it's the Old West or something.

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 03-08-2009 at 09:54 PM..

Old 03-08-2009, 05:34 PM

102 posts, read 253,634 times
Wow some people commenting on this thread are extremely irritating as they only have SELECTIVE reading abilities obviously!!!!

One more time for those who haven't yet picked up on this: BRITISH PEOPLE CAN OWN A GUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE CHOOSE NOT TO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And for the guy who talked about us having our daughters raped in front of our eyes and not being able to do anything about it - I'm sorry I didn't realise only law-abiding citizens owned guns in the US? My mistake in thinking that the attacker/ rapist would probably have a gun to hand too and therefore completely defeat the object!

Oh yeah, and there is no way that 30 in 100 women I know won't go out alone and 20 won't go out after dark. Total BS that is! If anyone tries to rape me they'll get a kick in the balls, never mind a gunshot!

Right...I'm off to barricade my doors and windows and make sure my machete is under my pillow before I go to bed.......ah to be free :-)

Old 03-08-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit2009 View Post
Wow some people commenting on this thread are extremely irritating as they only have SELECTIVE reading abilities obviously!!!!

One more time for those who haven't yet picked up on this: BRITISH PEOPLE CAN OWN A GUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE CHOOSE NOT TO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And for the guy who talked about us having our daughters raped in front of our eyes and not being able to do anything about it - I'm sorry I didn't realise only law-abiding citizens owned guns in the US? My mistake in thinking that the attacker/ rapist would probably have a gun to hand too and therefore completely defeat the object!

Oh yeah, and there is no way that 30 in 100 women I know won't go out alone and 20 won't go out after dark. Total BS that is! If anyone tries to rape me they'll get a kick in the balls, never mind a gunshot!

Right...I'm off to barricade my doors and windows and make sure my machete is under my pillow before I go to bed.......ah to be free :-)

Well said missus!

I think im gonna sleep with my boom stick tonight...you know..just incase.

Old 03-08-2009, 05:59 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit2009 View Post
ummm, I have a law degree and spent a LONG time studying our constitution thank you! What are you on about any way? Your post makes no sense! Are you saying that the 0.07% of people that want to carry guns should have the right to do so? So we should all just have the right to do what we want even if we're a very tiny minority? In that case shouldn't the criminals have the right to access your home and rape you daughters??????????
A person should have the right to do anything he wishes that does not infringe on another's rights. When a majority is able to strip a minority of their rights, it is tyranny of the majority. To bear arms is a right, or rather was, in Britain, currently unpopular there, and the majority has stripped the minority that does value it of that right. The big danger of course is any right of anyone can be taken away if the rights of one person may.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
A person should have the right to do anything he wishes that does not infringe on another's rights. When a majority is able to strip a minority of their rights, it is tyranny of the majority. To bear arms is a right, or rather was, in Britain, currently unpopular there, and the majority has stripped the minority that does value it of that right. The big danger of course is any right of anyone can be taken away if the rights of one person may.
Can you please stop the selective reading and listen to what we're trying to say, from the horses mouth we do not want the U.S system. I'm happy with my rifles and shotguns they are for hunting only. I'm happy here.

Your preaching to a choir that ain't listening.

Old 03-08-2009, 06:05 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,481,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Can you please stop the selective reading and listen to what we're trying to say, from the horses mouth we do not want the U.S system. I'm happy with my rifles and shotguns they are for hunting only. I'm happy here.

Your preaching to a choir that ain't listening.
You entirely missed my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom