Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 03:20 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Man, what are the newspapers telling you guys over there? Louisiana elected the nations first Indian American governor and the nations first Vietnamese American congressman. Both conservative republicans (the supposed racists). Stop listening to liberal propaganda and experience life for yourself.

Yeh, I think that the southern states are not as racist as people here are led to believe (although it still exists on both sides of the Atlantic).

The genuine fear for me wouldn't be a race issue, but living amongst conservative republicans
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2009, 03:33 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,307,580 times
Quote:
Man, what are the newspapers telling you guys over there? Louisiana elected the nations first Indian American governor and the nations first Vietnamese American congressman. Both conservative republicans (the supposed racists). Stop listening to liberal propaganda and experience life for yourself.
Sonny boy don't bring your rabid dog conspiricy theory nonsense over here...it doesn't fly. I think when people mention these fears about places like Louisiana, it's more to do with it's history and stereo typical images from long ago. There isn't a liberal or conservative propoganda in this country, just two parties I have no faith in.

As for Jindal and the Vietnamese-American, may be they were the best thing going. Maybe they just want to show how progressive they can be too. But it's certainly doesn't proove anything.

Old 03-07-2009, 03:44 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,113,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raggy dee Ann View Post
Sonny boy don't bring your rabid dog conspiricy theory nonsense over here...it doesn't fly. I think when people mention these fears about places like Louisiana, it's more to do with it's history and stereo typical images from long ago. There isn't a liberal or conservative propoganda in this country, just two parties I have no faith in.

As for Jindal and the Vietnamese-American, may be they were the best thing going. Maybe they just want to show how progressive they can be too. But it's certainly doesn't proove anything.
I agree with Raggy, I mean i've been to the southern US and there is still a stigma about it. An odd feeling that I cannot put my finger on but the racism is hidden and still exists. Even where my in laws live you can practically smell the tension in the air. Have I experience this in my country? NO.

Old 03-07-2009, 05:15 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,240,039 times
Quote:

I'm going off point here but: You know the luny republican party are now pushing Jindal as their answer to Obama!! You should listen to him speak.. its like he's picked up the 'what makes Obama succesful' handbook, and is executing it play by play (although in a kinda slimey pathetic way).

Old 03-07-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
I'm going off point here but: You know the luny republican party are now pushing Jindal as their answer to Obama!! You should listen to him speak.. its like he's picked up the 'what makes Obama succesful' handbook, and is executing it play by play (although in a kinda slimey pathetic way).
heard him a lot during last hurricane. Bless his heart. They even picked a black man to lead their party.

Old 03-07-2009, 11:42 AM

33 posts, read 117,966 times
Quote:
Newspapers telling us over where? I'm currently in the USA (Arizona) and I have heard things from people who are stationed in Shreveport - both military and their spouses!

Old 03-07-2009, 01:35 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,053 times
Quote:

Uh, huh. yea sure.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:52 PM

yeah I notice a few spelling mistakes on my part...typed and posted without checking.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:07 PM

2 posts, read 4,445 times
Its a complete non issue here to be honest

Old 06-14-2009, 04:06 PM

93,189 posts, read 123,783,345 times
I think in England and the UK, it has to do with the smaller Black population there too. England is only about 3% Black and most are relatively recent arrivals. So, the aspect of history isn't really there on a personal and intimate level.

Canada is kind of in between due to a longer history, but is only about 2.5% Black.

As for the South, it isn't as bad as people think and my parents are from South Carolina and Mississippi. People would be surprised as to how much undercover interracial activity has gone on in the South for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom