Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 09:24 PM

403 posts, read 1,324,992 times

Advertisements

Excuse my ignorance, but I have a tea question for you . I've always loved tea and have wanted to try some proper British tea, but we don't really come across them very often here in the States. I was at the market today and came across a small British section and saw some PG tips tea. The box claims it's your number one tea. Is this tea any good? Even if it's not the best, is it at least a respectable representation of your teas? Thanks everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2009, 12:19 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,114,316 times
I'm biased but I love my Scottish blend.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:17 AM

102 posts, read 253,640 times
I'm a pg tips girl!! It's definately my number 1! That or Tetley and it will be a perfect representation of what we drink....I have to have at least 3 pg tips a day!!

Old 03-04-2009, 03:46 AM

339 posts, read 1,262,544 times
Tea is not proper tea unless you do it the British Way.
See here for more information:
How to make a perfect cup of tea - British style

Just remember that the industrial revolution was fuelled by tea. It kept our bowels clean and free of disease.

Old 03-04-2009, 04:07 AM

Brilliant collinsl!! Honey in tea?! Ha! If teabags are that difficult to find in America I may consider leaving my clothes at home when I relocate next year and bringing a suitcase of pg tips with me!! I have never drank loose tea and don't know anyone that does! I always add boiling water to my tea bag and two sugars(my guilty pleasure), stir for about 30 seconds then give it a good squeeze, add a good splash of semi or skimmed milk and mmmmmmmmm drink!!

This is probably a silly question, but do most americans have a kettle in their homes?!

Old 03-04-2009, 04:22 AM

10,210 posts, read 17,862,571 times
My husband drinks PG and it seems pretty popular.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit2009 View Post
This is probably a silly question, but do most americans have a kettle in their homes?!
I'm American and never had a kettle until I moved to the UK and my husband got one. He's really the only one who uses it, I never have. I don't think I ever knew an American to have a kettle either. I just don't see the point - you can heat water just as easily in the microwave and then you don't have yet another appliance in the kitchen because God knows the living spaces here are so tiny, you'd think everyone would want to save as much space as possible!

Old 03-04-2009, 04:28 AM

I think we all just feel better having a kettle...it's like our security blanket or something lol. I currently have a very economic one which heats water as it pours so only heats what it needs...very green! Oh dear...I'm off to get a life now! Bye all!

Old 03-04-2009, 05:26 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,622,555 times
I hate PG tips. It tastes like soap to me.

I only like Loose tea , if you want "real" tea loose tea is the way to go. I like Breakfast tea, Ceylon and Earl Grey and Darjeling too. Lapsang Souchong is too smoky for my taste. I don't like milk with my tea, a slice of lemon is lovely too. But it is a question of taste of course so very subjective.

The Republic of Tea in the US does some nice Teas doesn't it ?

Old 03-04-2009, 07:11 AM

1,105 posts, read 4,569,611 times
British tea isn't that hard to find. PG Tips and tetley is in most grocery stores. If you still can't find them try World Market, they even have Yorkshire tea at the one near me which is both my grandmother's favorites (they are English and live in ENgland).

Old 03-04-2009, 07:17 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,765,252 times
I dont think Kettles are real common here,ive been meaning to buy one..
I like blackcurrant tea myself from Twinings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom