Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 01:04 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Before we got BBC America on satellite, the only BBC programs we saw included Antiques Road Show, May I help You (I think that's the name,...show about some people working in a department store), Upstairs downstairs, and Dr Who (about the only one I enjoyed watching).
Oh dear . Still, Upstairs Downstairs could be pretty "racy" at times, not to mention The Duchess of Duke Street . I have to say, when I started watching Torchwood I was pretty surprised - not exactly Dr Who is it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 01:18 PM

661 posts, read 1,184,033 times
You can get many English series on Netflix.... we have watched Morse, Inspector Linley, Agatha Christies Miss Marple, Little Britain, Blackadder....

Old 03-11-2009, 08:05 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,062,199 times
I love Watching BBC News! I watch it every morning to see what is going on internationally

Old 03-17-2009, 12:58 AM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
My son and I love watching Top Gear.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:10 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Here are some things I learned from watching BBC America Top Gear
  1. a car's trunk is a boot
  2. a car's hood is a bonnet
  3. a sedan is a saloon which to us is a western bar
  4. a station wagon is an estate
  5. a camper is a caravan which is a Dodge van for us
  6. race car test drivers dress in white and don't ever remove their helmet
  7. some celebrities can drive pretty fast
  8. some celebrities can't drive a manual transmission
  9. many celebrities curse like a drunken sailor when driving
  10. a Rolls Royce does not float on water in a newly christened swimming pool
  11. if traveling across Africa you want either an old VW beetle or an Opel Caddette(spelling?) named Oliver
  12. Ford and General Motors makes better cars for Europe than they do for America
  13. London politicians are even more tax greedy than some American politicians
  14. didn't know you were taxed based upon the size of your engine over 2 liters in some areas
  15. and that not all British television is stuffy and boring. Some pretty racy stuff
Oh, and can someone do something about Clarkson and Mayes' hair?
You forgot, a three-door hatch with a long snout is a shooting brake.

Old 03-17-2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Sometimes watching it makes me angry, especially when I see what Ford and Vauxhall (general motors) offers Europe but not us. We don't have a Mondeo. Our Focus is not the same Focus you have. It's actually pretty weak and ugly. We don't have the Ka. We did get the Astra but with only a 4speed automatic transmission and weak little 1.8L engine. We do have some cars based on the Vectra. My mom has one of these and she loves the car. I like the way the Astra rides but can't imagine it being a police car. Loved the episode where they tried to make their own police car. I'm surprised the local fire fighters aren't always stationed right next to the show with how often they set things on fire including cars and campers (caravan). What made them think that little Kia could tow a caravan?
1) The last time Ford tried to sell the Mondeo here it was a colossal flop; 2) You can get the Astra with a manual transmission; 3) We will get the global version of the Focus later this year when the 2010 model year arrives.

Old 03-17-2009, 04:29 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,530,849 times
The Ford Contour, America's version of the Mondeo at the time, was a failure for several reasons. Ford made cost cutting efforts that effected the quality of the interior. It handled fantasticly but came with either a weak engine or a less weak engine compared to it's competition. It also had less interior volume compared to it's competition. In general size it was closer to being a compact. The current Mondeo is a larger and better looking vehicle. If brought here as is, it's quality would qualify it to be a Lincoln. You're right. Just checked and the Astra comes with a 5 speed manual standard and 4 speed automatic as an option. The 1.8 liter engine is the one and only engine across the line.

Old 03-17-2009, 12:48 PM

Right, the Mondeo is larger and better-looking. But where would you slot it? Between the Fusion and Taurus? Is there enough room between them for a whole new car line, especially one that has to be federalized and crash-tested (very expensive process)? The Contour had up to 200HP. That's plenty for a 3000-lb car and gave up nothing to its competition.

The reason many European-market cars never make it here is because of the ungodly cost of federalizing and crash-testing it. And it's not enough to simply throw an already federalized engine in a new chassis. The whole setup has to be re-federalized as one package. That's the main reason the Astra only comes with one engine option. I'd love to see the 2.0 turbo in there, even if it's detuned from its current 260HP output. But doing so would price it out of its target market, and the standard Astra is already priced at the upper edge of that market as it is.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:26 AM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
My local library has tons of BBC dvds: A Bit of Fry and Laurie (one of my faves), Black Adder, Allo Allo, Yes, Prime Minister, and lots of great movies as well. I also love British comedy because it relies more on language whereas American comedy is geared toward situation. BBC is a bit more cerebral for me, plus I love British irony, something Americans lack.

Last edited by cobolt; 03-18-2009 at 11:35 AM..

Old 03-18-2009, 12:13 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,767,079 times
I wonder how many BBC shows currently run on PBS stations.
Ive watched British shows since i was 6 or 7 on PBS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom