Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 07:10 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,241,315 times

Advertisements

It is disgusting, but it is also important that we do not direct anger at the muslim community as a whole. This particular group of people, are obvously a disgrace regardless of their religious views, or race.

I support our forces 100% and would further support more funding for equipment, salaries, pensions, housing etc etc. I do not however, support our political involvement in military operations in any shape or form, and never have.

The problem with the reporting of this incident, is that today's broadsheets cover it for what it is (idiots with a cause) but the Mail, Express, and a few other tabloids have sensationalised the protest, and will create hate against the muslim community.

Gordon Brown needs to acknowledge the protest as freedom of speech, but offer public support for our forces. He should also clearly point out that these people do not represent, nor speak for, the muslim community as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 07:52 AM

2,732 posts, read 6,766,167 times
I was thinking of posting about this when i saw the article on BBC News.
The Article made no mention of the protesters being muslim.
I had no idea until i watched the Video clip.
God bless those who protested against this crowd waving the england flag..
And the union jack.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:08 AM

102 posts, read 253,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
It is awful when anyone dies in the course of their duty or as a bystander.

The police in Pakistan will be given their own tributes as would anyone who dies in such circumstances.

Soldiers are by definition sent to the places you would least want to be and are there at the behest of the government, supposodly on our behalf (that's another discussion).

Given that they are sent there and do their duty is it not then right that the public are allowed to show their appreciation of their efforts, regardless of which conflict they were obliged to go to?

Others will be free to protest at these parades, but many feel that this is an appropriate way for us to support those that ultimataly we have relied on throughout history.

Let us support these people in life and not have to wait until they are dead.
You have definately given me pause for thought. I suppose what your saying is it would be like having a go at nurses and doctors if you are actually trying to protest against the policies of the NHS. In which case I see what you mean. Thanks for the debate

Old 03-11-2009, 08:36 AM

16,666 posts, read 17,430,851 times
Not at all Brit.

In fact I think Mooseketeer made those points very well.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:29 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,115,307 times
As much as I am against the war on Iraq, it is not the soldiers fault. They are mearly pawns of the government(s)

As for the muslims, don't get me started....

Old 03-11-2009, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
As much as I am against the war on Iraq, it is not the soldiers fault. They are mearly pawns of the government(s)

As for the muslims, don't get me started....
Yeah,It would be one thing to speak out against the war.
They had signs saying the soldiers are going to hell,crusades,etc
Since this vocal group loves to exercise its right to free speech..
I wonder if others can speak against aspects of their culture,religon..
Without lawsuits,violence,protests or riots.
While i hate what they are saying,Freedom of speech is for ALL
Hopefully that includes ALL viewpoints PC or not.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:11 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,919,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
I wonder if others can speak against aspects of their culture,religon
Nope ... at least in Scotland, you run the risk of being arrested for Breach of the Peace with religious aggravation.

It has become very one sided.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:21 AM

Guess i would be locked up if i lived in the UK?Im kidding..maybe

Old 03-11-2009, 10:35 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
So in the UK it's prefectly legal to taunt and insult your country's service members but don't you dare say similiar negative things about Islam? How long before the Queen begins issuing out burkas and prayer rugs with a compass to face Mecca?

Old 03-11-2009, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
So in the UK it's prefectly legal to taunt and insult your country's service members but don't you dare say similiar negative things about Islam? How long before the Queen begins issuing out burkas and prayer rugs with a compass to face Mecca?
You forgot to mention Sharia Law
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom