Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Homeowner charged with murder in United Kingdom burglary, youth stabbed in botched home robbery, injustice to homeowner, self defense laws

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 08:35 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,284,115 times

Advertisements

I don't know if any of you are aware of this story in the news (I stumbled upon it by accident):

Boy stabbed in bungled burglary - Boy stabbed in bungled burglary - Times Online

Police treat stab death as murder - BBC NEWS | UK | England | Nottinghamshire | Police treat stab death as murder

If the owner of the home is charged with murder, it will be a huge miscarriage of justice. First of all, if you are enough of a scumbag to break into someone's home and do god-knows what, you risk the most dire of consequences, IMO. From what I've read, there were 3 of these youths and one homeowner, who was probably just defending himself, his family and his property (which you should have the absolute RIGHT to do).

Put it this way, if someone broke into my home, I would not hesitate to do the same thing. If I have to choose between my life and my wife's life vs. some scumbag intruder, guess what I'm going to do? Wait for the police? I know how stretched the police are in most places and that could take half an hour.

What's worse is that they've RELEASED the other youths who were also involved in the burglary, along with seemingly being involved in a spate of other burglaries in that area. They'll probably charge the poor guy who was defending his home with murder, lock him up for 20+ years, while the real criminals get away with it and are back to their old tricks within weeks, causing havoc and making people's lives miserable.

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2009, 08:50 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,099,876 times
Personaly I think its bang out of order, look at the castle doctrine for example which was from both Scotland and England (used in the states) and yet now we cannot even defend our own homes?

There is something clearly wrong here, why is the law so screwed up here?

Decent law abiding citizens are treated like criminals, the criminals get more rights nowadays.

Oh and don't get me started on the sentencing laws, 3 years for rape...you gotta be kidding me!

Old 03-15-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Personaly I think its bang out of order, look at the castle doctrine for example which was from both Scotland and England (used in the states) and yet now we cannot even defend our own homes?

There is something clearly wrong here, why is the law so screwed up here?

Decent law abiding citizens are treated like criminals, the criminals get more rights nowadays.

Oh and don't get me started on the sentencing laws, 3 years for rape...you gotta be kidding me!
Even the mention of the word "murder" in this case is just plain wrong. The occupant of that house probably thought it was either his life, or the burglar's life. He was clearly just defending his home as the incident occurred in the man's home. On top of that, there were other youths involved, so he was clearly outnumbered.

I hope the man isn't charged with murder, but it looks certain that he will be as the police are already treating this incident as a murder. If that's the case, hopefully the courts won't convict him of murder and he'll walk away a free man (and even a hero for reducing the scumbag count on Britain's streets by 1).

Old 03-15-2009, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
Even the mention of the word "murder" in this case is just plain wrong. The occupant of that house probably thought it was either his life, or the burglar's life. He was clearly just defending his home as the incident occurred in the man's home. On top of that, there were other youths involved, so he was clearly outnumbered.

I hope the man isn't charged with murder, but it looks certain that he will be as the police are already treating this incident as a murder. If that's the case, hopefully the courts won't convict him of murder and he'll walk away a free man (and even a hero for reducing the scumbag count on Britain's streets by 1).
Its pathetic, I will never understand how Scotland and England got into this state. You should be able to defend your home, it is afterall your property. Doesn't make sense.

He will most likely be found guilty, people are brainwashed.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Its pathetic, I will never understand how Scotland and England got into this state. You should be able to defend your home, it is afterall your property. Doesn't make sense.

He will most likely be found guilty, people are brainwashed.
Even though I don't live in the UK right now, I plan to move back someday. While I wouldn't want to see US-style gun laws in the UK, I would like some sort of compromise between that and the current status quo in the UK. It should be written in law that you have the right to defend your own home, even if it means via shotgun. Whatever happened to the expression "An Englishman's home is his castle"? It seems like you can still own your castle, but you can't defend it.

If this man is charged and convicted of murder, I would suggest writing to your local MP to complain about it, if this is an issue you feel strongly about (if I were still living there, I would).

Old 03-15-2009, 09:11 AM

3,722 posts, read 4,295,713 times
Quote:
Its pathetic, I will never understand how Scotland and England got into this state.
You mean the UK

Old 03-15-2009, 09:25 AM

262 posts, read 565,868 times
Thats just ridiculous,I remember when I lived over there,it was about maybe three or four years ago when a farmer protected his home from intruders and he shot them and the farmer got in trouble for it.The justice system over there just doesn't make sense.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:39 AM

16,582 posts, read 17,351,392 times
Get me back to Texas.

The intruder would have ended up with a few holes in him and the homeowner would have been congratulated.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Get me back to Texas.

The intruder would have ended up with a few holes in him and the homeowner would have been congratulated.
Even if you complain about the law here nothing gets done, thats why I don't bother anymore.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:43 AM

I don't want to turn this into another US vs. UK firearms debate, but I do feel that the penalties for defending your own home against intruders, using whatever means possible should be absolutely ZERO. This man shouldn't even be in jail now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom