Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2009, 01:04 PM

7 posts, read 15,439 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm new to the site and found this to be the most reliable one. Reading about the different experiences, good or bad, at least gives me an idea of what to expect.

Like others I want to relocate to the UK for a variety of reasons and wanted to know if anybody could quote prices on moving furniture items, finding flats, opening a bank account, cell phone usage and any other useful information would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 09:23 PM

3,059 posts, read 8,279,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esweetie View Post
Hello,

I'm new to the site and found this to be the most reliable one. Reading about the different experiences, good or bad, at least gives me an idea of what to expect.

Like others I want to relocate to the UK for a variety of reasons and wanted to know if anybody could quote prices on moving furniture items, finding flats, opening a bank account, cell phone usage and any other useful information would be greatly appreciated!
Hi Esweetie - this is a good place to find apartments:
UK's number one property website for properties for sale and to rent

For moving your stuff, just call local (national) companies and get them to come over - in Canada they all do free quotes - I am guessing that would most likely be the same in the USA. If you are moving furniture you are looking at a truck followed by container ship. We are moving from eastern Canada to England, cost for truck, packing, container, delivery and set-up in UK is $14000 CAD (about $12,000 USD?)

Cell phones - a lot of people get the pay as you go (and remember, they're called "mobiles" in the UK).

Last edited by sunshineleith; 04-11-2009 at 09:24 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 04-12-2009, 06:26 PM

7 posts, read 15,439 times
The site was great , although the bathrooms are really tiny and quite odd the washer is in the kitchen. That's going to be a change.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:28 AM

1,021 posts, read 2,907,334 times
Esweetie, Do you have your immigration/visa requirements sorted out ? That's your first step unless you are a dual citizen. Good luck - it's not easy or cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom