Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Health Care Would You Rather Have United States or United Kingdom?
United States 8 33.33%
United Kingdom 16 66.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 03:08 PM

2,732 posts, read 6,764,871 times

Advertisements

As someone who is still paying down thousands of dollars for a surgery...
Im going to go with NHS.Too many americans are forced into Bankruptcy
Or pay way too much for Insurance.
Walk into a Hospital in America with no insurance and they treat you like..
You are a drug addict trying to score pain-killers or just off the street.
Im sure there are problems with the NHS but it might a better alternative.

Old 04-16-2009, 04:00 AM

36 posts, read 61,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
No one is denied medical care in the US because of inability to pay. Just ask any illegal immigrant. They get free medical care all the time in this country. I even know of one who got a heart transplant....free.

YouTube - Health Care Fails US Workers, 3rd World Clinic Alternative

Old 04-16-2009, 06:13 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
What's your point?

Old 04-16-2009, 10:23 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,113,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
Medicare is for people over 65. Medicaid is for those younger. It is not difficult to get children of low income parents on Medicaid but it is for adults to qualify.

Yes, you still get treated. Then the hospital or clinic accounting departments will bill you for the services. Hospitals often have payment plans to ease the payment pain. Even people with insurance often still find themselves responsible for a hefty slice of the bill. This applies to Medicare recipients, as well.

The problem is not that medical care is unavailable unless you have insurance or can pay for it yourself. The problem is that insurance is extremely expensive and insurance companies will attach riders to not cover pre-existing conditions e.g. diabetes.

It's still ridiculous though, the system its all about profit i still prefer my NHS.

At the end of the day, a price should not be put on health as we are told by our nursing lecturers. It's all about care without profit.

Medicaid isn't like the NHS though.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:33 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,529,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
It's still ridiculous though, the system its all about profit i still prefer my NHS.

At the end of the day, a price should not be put on health as we are told by our nursing lecturers. It's all about care without profit.

Medicaid isn't like the NHS though.
All heath care systems are about the money. While there may not be charges at the point of service in Great Britain, I can assure you that it's all about the money to some bean counter in London. That's why there's wait lists and struggles to get certain treatments/procedures approved for coverage under the NHS. It's all a tradeoff.

There are many problems with health care in the U.S. -- too many to get into here -- but the constant criticism of the system here being all about profit is off-base and, on some levels -- misinformed.

Anyway, I can't believe this thead hasn't been shut down already like the one in the Canadian forum. This topic has been beaten to death.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:36 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,113,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
All heath care systems are about the money. While there may not be charges at the point of service in Great Britain, I can assure you that it's all about the money to some bean counter in London. That's why there's wait lists and struggles to get certain treatments/procedures approved for coverage under the NHS. It's all a tradeoff.

There are many problems with health care in the U.S. -- too many to get into here -- but the constant criticism of the system here being all about profit is off-base and, on some levels -- misinformed.

Anyway, I can't believe this thead hasn't been shut down already like the one in the Canadian forum. This topic has been beaten to death.
I understand your point but i prefer the outlook here when it comes to health everyone can get treated but it is not expensive. You also have the choice of private healthcare, i've just heard so much negativity from family in the U.S aswell.

The NHS is far from perfect but its better than the current U.S system in my opinion.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:54 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,703,829 times
I think Marmadukes point is that the private medical health care system in the US dose'nt work. If it did you would'nt need outfits like RAM to provide the medical cover they normally reserve for third world countries.

Old 04-16-2009, 12:18 PM

250 posts, read 737,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
I think Marmadukes point is that the private medical health care system in the US dose'nt work. If it did you would'nt need outfits like RAM to provide the medical cover they normally reserve for third world countries.

Old 04-17-2009, 06:51 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
In the US it is the employer who contributes moneys to and or provides group health insurance to the employee. It is now becoming too expensive for many employers to contribute or even to provide because of the expense. In my case my employer can no longer contribute, so I pay several hundred per month, as much as what Cobra would cost per month. In this era, workers are expected to change jobs frequently which causes much higher risk and more expensive "out costs" from the employee to cover gaps in coverage or delays in the new employer provided insurance, causing many to pay very high premiums in Cobra payments, which are fixed at a 3 month minimum, I believe. Those with pre-existing conditions are at a very high risk indeed. Issues like this need to be addressed either through the private sector or public or both. One thing I've learned is that people's circumstances, and those circumstances are as varied as amount of fish in the sea, pertaining to their health and employment situation, can change for the worse at a drop of a hat, and most likely will to a spouse or family member or as one grows older.

Old 04-17-2009, 07:02 AM

144 posts, read 318,689 times
The fear that we may not have enough money to buy health insurance or find coverage for my wife with a pre-existing condition is making me sick. I'm just an average middle class US citizen.

Why can have a system like the UK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom