U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 10:24 PM

537 posts, read 1,399,017 times
Default Best/Cheapest Airline to fly to the UK from the states.

I'm planning on going to England with in the next few years. I've heard Air Canada is the way to go but I'd like some more input. I will also be considering flying to some European cities during my visit. Basically im just looking for the best deals I can get. I will be traveling most likely in the late summer, early fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 11:52 PM

2,365 posts, read 7,711,728 times
The best fare is through Travelocity (or the auction sites, forget their names)

Just put a travel alert to your mail account. i get almost weekly alerts to my hotmail account, evertime the price meets my level. My level for london is 400 dollars. Or you can set it for anytime there is a 25 dollar change up or down.

Or you can add a travel alert gadget to your desktop! I have business microsoft Vista and they stay on my desktop!

I think India Air would be the cheapest. There are travel agents that deal with Air India out of New Jersey that offer excellent bargains to England and France.

Good luck!

p.s. I am talking about flights from the East Coast, and close to New York, the cheapest origination to Europe!!

Old 04-20-2009, 11:55 PM

261 posts, read 455,406 times
I havent tried them yet but i have been recommended Condor Air ... they ony fly from a few places in the US but their rates seem good.
For my purposes they are the only airline that runs a service over the pole in the summer cutting about 15 hours off a flight to UK.

Condor - Born to fly.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:42 AM

10,351 posts, read 6,219,404 times
Things change- check a few months prior to flying.

We use skyscanner.

Cheap flights: compare prices, find airline tickets - Skyscanner

Old 04-21-2009, 03:20 AM

3,602 posts, read 4,111,930 times
Try Lastminute, Travelzoo, Travelbag, Expedia, Travelsupermarket, Airindia, Emirates etc As for airlines, I personally like United, but you can fly with good connections with American Airlines, British Airways aswell. Air Canada will probably connect through Toronto and so add more time to your journey, but you can use these connections to organise free stop-overs and see cities that you haven't had the opportuity of doing so before.

Once in the UK there are plenty of easy and low cost airlines that will get you too and around continental Europe.

Old 04-21-2009, 07:08 AM

2,732 posts, read 4,219,547 times
Someone can correct me if im wrong or things have changed but...
Years ago i went to a travel agent for my California trip.
I was told Flights to England & Ireland in the spring were very cheap!
Some fares were 400-600$(And i dont live in a Hub city)This was during March-Apr.
If thats still the case might be something to think about...

Old 04-21-2009, 07:30 AM

5,257 posts, read 6,365,923 times
It depends what city you're flying in/out of and whether you want a direct flight or not. I fly direct from Manchester to Philadelphia a lot and US Airways usually winds up being cheapest. If flying into NYC which I sometimes do, it's usually British Airways that wins.

I usually use www.kayak.com to search and then book directly with the airline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by averagejoe76 View Post
Someone can correct me if im wrong or things have changed but...
Years ago i went to a travel agent for my California trip.
I was told Flights to England & Ireland in the spring were very cheap!
Some fares were 400-600$(And i dont live in a Hub city)This was during March-Apr.
If thats still the case might be something to think about...
This is usually true but prices can also be low during other periods of the year too. And of course costs go up and down all the time. Last time I looked at direct flights from Philly to Manchester for my family in June, it was about $1,100 round trip. Now it's down to $746.

Oh forgot to add to the OP: if you're flying around to other European cities, look into the budget airlines like RyanAir, BMI Baby or EasyJet.

Last edited by PA2UK; 04-21-2009 at 07:39 AM..

Old 04-21-2009, 07:36 AM

2,365 posts, read 7,711,728 times
I fly everyyear last week of April, for the past three years to europe and never spend more than $550.00. (This is out of Phila, though)

how?

Travelocity!! And I buy my tickets in March or April!!

This is usually true but prices can also be low during other periods of the year too. And of course costs go up and down all the time. Last time I looked at direct flights from Philly to Manchester for my family in June, it was about $1,100 round trip. Now it's down to $746.[/quote]

Old 04-21-2009, 07:44 AM

5,257 posts, read 6,365,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
I fly everyyear last week of April, for the past three years to europe and never spend more than $550.00. (This is out of Phila, though)

how?

Travelocity!! And I buy my tickets in March or April!!

Quote:
This is usually true but prices can also be low during other periods of the year too. And of course costs go up and down all the time. Last time I looked at direct flights from Philly to Manchester for my family in June, it was about $1,100 round trip. Now it's down to $746.
That's because you're flying in April. The prices I quoted where for the middle of June, a much more expensive time to fly. I check with and book through the airlines themselves, cutting out any additional booking costs with a middle-man company.

Old 04-21-2009, 08:25 AM

2,941 posts, read 5,045,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nephthys View Post
I'm planning on going to England with in the next few years. I've heard Air Canada is the way to go but I'd like some more input. I will also be considering flying to some European cities during my visit. Basically im just looking for the best deals I can get. I will be traveling most likely in the late summer, early fall.
Your flying to England and your not visiting Scotland (Edinburgh) tut tut!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom