Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 10:55 AM

2,245 posts, read 7,192,439 times

Advertisements

This may sound like a stupid question, but it's been on my mind for a while, so I have to ask it. I watch a lot of tennis and other European-dominated events, shows, etc. and one that I've consistently noticed is that there are so many Europeans who wear Christian crosses (much more than popular figures in the U.S.). In the U.S. there are many rappers who wear crosses, not as a declaration of faith but as a declaration of wealth (crosses with diamonds, gold, platinum, whatever). Now, considering that it's no secret that Europe has largely rejected Christianity my question is this: is it simply the "cool" thing, or a fashion statement that popular European figures wear crosses?

Old 05-03-2009, 11:16 AM

16,670 posts, read 17,435,450 times
Hang on a second.

When did Europe largely reject Christianity?

What is this post about?

You make various statements and expect us to ignore them and ask about whether a cross is a fashion statement, having associated the wearing of the cross with being a rapper.

Not sure where to start!

Old 05-03-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Hang on a second.

When did Europe largely reject Christianity?
Only 38% of the British believe there is a god.

Quote:

What is this post about?
Whether Europeans are like American rappers in the reasons they wear crosses.

Quote:
You make various statements and expect us to ignore them and ask about whether a cross is a fashion statement, having associated the wearing of the cross with being a rapper.

Not sure where to start!
I don't expect you to ignore anything. If you have questions, or want to make side notes concerning my post, then go ahead.

But, the primary question is whether it is a fashion statement in Europe to wear a cross.

Old 05-03-2009, 01:55 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post
Only 38% of the British believe there is a god.
For starters, Britain does not define the entirety of Europe. Secondly, I'm not sure where you got this statistic but this tells a very different story: Census 2001 - Commentaries - Ethnicity and religion

The population of England and Wales combined is about 53 mil and the amount of people on the 2001 census in England and Wales claiming to be Christian is 37.3 mil. I'm not great with math but I think that's about 70%.

Quote:
But, the primary question is whether it is a fashion statement in Europe to wear a cross.
Well, again, I can't speak for all of Europe as I only live in England but I have not noticed it as a fashion statement. I don't think you should be judging all of Europe's fashion styles on tennis players. It's not exactly a representation of all of European society.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:02 PM

2,975 posts, read 8,116,304 times
Yet another stupid thread.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:20 PM

69 posts, read 228,982 times
ROFL...what the?

In the 2001 census, 70% of the British stated that they were Christian. Some of these people wear crosses. Some of them go to tennis matches and some of them like rap.

As far as I am aware, it is not fashionable to wear a cross in Europe unless you are a Christian.

I hope this has been helpful.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Yet another stupid thread.
That you've posted on.

Old 05-03-2009, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
For starters, Britain does not define the entirety of Europe.
Obviously. But, Britain is a general indicator on trends of Western Europe, and can give insight into the matter.

Quote:
Secondly, I'm not sure where you got this statistic but this tells a very different story: Census 2001 - Commentaries - Ethnicity and religion
http://ec.europa.eu/public_opinion/a..._report_en.pdf

It's hard to be Christian if you don't believe in God.

Quote:
I don't think you should be judging all of Europe's fashion styles on tennis players. It's not exactly a representation of all of European society.
I'll quote myself:

"other European-dominated events, shows, etc."

Old 05-03-2009, 06:50 PM

4,282 posts, read 15,748,958 times
Interesting that you'd choose to categorize Europe as widely rejecting Christianity when your own quoted study shows a majority of respondents acknowledging a traditional God.

If you're merely curious about the wearing of crosses, that's fine, but your convenient transpositional use of various statistics gives rise to the suspicion that your thread's purpose is actually to troll for a little religious debate.

Which, of course, would violate the TOS and be dealt with accordingly.

Old 05-03-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
Interesting that you'd choose to categorize Europe as widely rejecting Christianity when your own quoted study shows a majority of respondents acknowledging a traditional God.
The article states that 38% of the UK believes in God; 52% of the EU believe in God (the latter I did not see at first). However, with 48% automatically rejecting Christianity (when Europe used to be near 100% Christian), I'd call that largely a rejection of that religion, particularly in the UK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
If you're merely curious about the wearing of crosses, that's fine, but your convenient transpositional use of various statistics gives rise to the suspicion that your thread's purpose is actually to troll for a little religious debate.

Which, of course, would violate the TOS and be dealt with accordingly.
Ahh, and interesting that your post implies that I'm a troll by implicating my thread; as opposed to outright labeling me as a troll (which would, of course, be a violation of the TOS).

My question was an honest one; and as far as I can see, my statement concerning Europe's rejection of Christianity would only have caused a stir if were not true. Yet, if such a statement was not true, and Europe largely continued to embrace Christianity, then I'd be disturbing people unnecessarily as I am a Christian myself. Thus, the motivations you cleverly attribute to my thread are not reasonable for me from my point of view.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom