Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 01:25 PM

183 posts, read 396,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I'm not sure I would necessarily say it has changed for the better. Some of the changes have been good and some less so. For example, driving a motorway through the heart of the city which destroyed Cowcaddens, Georges X, Charing X and much of Anderston is not necessarily a good thing. Pedestrianising the city centre, cleaning and renovating the tenements is definitely a good thing. Other areas, such as Govan, have also been largely destroyed.

The West End, where I grew up has become an evening destination. Families have been pushed out and it is now where singles, couples and students live. Lovely Victorian flats have been butchered to make multiple occupancies. Ordinary shops have gone and all you have now is eateries, coffee shops, charity shops and building societies. I was down at Ashton Lane the other week and it was quite unpleasant. Too crowded with drunken neds looking for a fight. I much preferred the West End of the late 1960s and early 1970s. The only bright spot is that there are a couple of excellent restaurants.

In addition, there has been considerable depopulation of Glasgow. The population right after WW2 was one million. Today it is closer to 640,000. This has gone hand in hand with the destruction of industry on Clydeside. I doubt your father would recognise it.
Think you'll find if the M8 hadn't been built, Glasgow would have ground to a halt by now. It's the lifeline of the city allowing people to travel from outwith Glasgow to the farside of Glasgow for work. I can travel from Stirling and be on the motorway right into the heart of the city centre in about 40 minutes. It may not be the most scenic road, but it sure does its job.

I would agree pedestrianising the city centre was a good shout. I think Buchanan Street looks the better for it, and that area is a much nicer shopping area than Sauchiehall Street.

I like the West End, but haven't been there for a couple of years as you say it was good for a night out. But it is Scotland, you are going to get neds pretty much anywhere unfortunately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 09:58 AM

116 posts, read 425,585 times
Thanks for the great photos of Glasgow. I'm a yorkshire lass living in the USA now and visited your lovely city about 4 years ago, I honestly was a little hesitant to visit because of all the bad press, but was pleased to see it wasn't all that bad. Nice to see the sunshine over Glasgow too, it was rainy and gray when we visited!

Old 07-20-2009, 05:59 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,115,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robma44541 View Post
Thanks for the great photos of Glasgow. I'm a yorkshire lass living in the USA now and visited your lovely city about 4 years ago, I honestly was a little hesitant to visit because of all the bad press, but was pleased to see it wasn't all that bad. Nice to see the sunshine over Glasgow too, it was rainy and gray when we visited!
My advice is not to listen to what people see and go see for yourself which you did.

Glasgow's image has changed for the better, its not the 1990s anymore.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:14 PM

1,334 posts, read 2,993,557 times
I'm hoping to visit Glasgow also. I am a member of a forum that has many photos both old and new and many other Glasglow related topics. I was offered a guided tour by some of the members of the forum which I am looking forward to.

BTW: Excellent photo's Scotslass!!..........

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 07-23-2009 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: links to other forums not permitted

Old 07-23-2009, 12:18 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
My advice is not to listen to what people see and go see for yourself which you did.

Glasgow's image has changed for the better, its not the 1990s anymore.
Glasgow's "bad" image dates from the 1930s, not the 1990s.

Old 07-24-2009, 04:02 AM

2,975 posts, read 8,115,860 times
Quote:
Glasgow's "bad" image dates from the 1930s, not the 1990s.
That is from me remembering the city when i was young. Back then it wasn't the nicest city to visit.

Old 07-31-2009, 10:45 PM

358 posts, read 983,064 times
I can't spot the huns without their tops on. :P

But in all seriousness, beautiful photos.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:45 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGosh Josh View Post
I can't spot the huns without their tops on. :P

But in all seriousness, beautiful photos.
Growing up in Glasgow, my father advised me to avoid discussions around religion and football. You would do well to heed that same advice. At least in this forum.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:33 PM

294 posts, read 699,057 times
Quote:
Growing up in Glasgow, my father advised me to avoid discussions around religion and football. You would do well to heed that same advice. At least in this forum.
Well said.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:04 PM

358 posts, read 983,064 times
Didn't mean to offend. I'm actually Protestant myself.

Guess my tim friends have been rubbing off on me too much. :\

Sorry about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom