U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2009, 12:11 PM

36 posts, read 39,120 times

Advertisements

Scots, Welsh, and NI have got more than a cheek...What they have is a cap in hand attitude....Health spending has been devolved for a number of years...Sad to say, like kids coming back to parents, they are on the beg...You`ve made your bed..Live with it!!!BBC NEWS | UK | Wales | Dispute over swine flu jab costs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2009, 12:40 PM

10,859 posts, read 7,829,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marmadukes View Post
Scots, Welsh, and NI have got more than a cheek...What they have is a cap in hand attitude....Health spending has been devolved for a number of years...Sad to say, like kids coming back to parents, they are on the beg...You`ve made your bed..Live with it!!!BBC NEWS | UK | Wales | Dispute over swine flu jab costs
That is because the whole devolution settlement has been badly thought out. Its a bit like being half-pregnant. There was no clear constitutional arrangement where powers, responsibility and access to funds were properly defined.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:09 PM

2,940 posts, read 5,197,796 times
Well if ya ain't happy.... Thank your oh so lovely English government and greedy lords for the situation we're in.

From your posts you are most definately anti Scottish or anything that isn't English you have a problem with it, that to me is quite disturbing.

Quote:
That is because the whole devolution settlement has been badly thought out. Its a bit like being half-pregnant. There was no clear constitutional arrangement where powers, responsibility and access to funds were properly defined.
Yep, we know where the blame lies.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:22 PM

294 posts, read 455,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
Well if ya ain't happy.... Thank your oh so lovely English government and greedy lords for the situation we're in.

From your posts you are most definately anti Scottish or anything that isn't English you have a problem with it, that to me is quite disturbing.

What a load of utter crap this post is ..WTF?

English Goverment?? what?

Lets not reminde people North of the Border, we have no say in your country. but you have say in our country.

And for you to say that the poster is Anti Scottish, i think you should take a look at you own post before you class someone being anti anything.

the vast majority of your post ( which i've checked before posting this ) are Anti English.

Pot kettle black.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trotter67 View Post
What a load of utter crap this post is ..WTF?

English Goverment?? what?

Lets not reminde people North of the Border, we have no say in your country. but you have say in our country.

And for you to say that the poster is Anti Scottish, i think you should take a look at you own post before you class someone being anti anything.

the vast majority of your post ( which i've checked before posting this ) are Anti English.

Pot kettle black.

England has the last say and we are not in complete charge so really it all depends on the "UK government" not purely on the Scottish government.

Just defending Scotland, im sure you'd do the same so it does not make me anti English...that is bull.

When someone attacks my country I will not sit back and let them. Saying that we're begging??? Come on!

Quote:
Sad to say, like kids coming back to parents, they are on the beg...You`ve made your bed..Live with it!!!
You have the utter cheek to call me anti English.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:12 PM

10,859 posts, read 7,829,050 times
Quote:

Now now .... this "oh so lovely" English government has had more than its share of Scots since 1997. Tony Blair was educated in Edinburgh, Gordon Brown is Scots and so was Donald Dewar who piloted the Devolution Bill through Parliament. And of course, our late lamented Speaker was Scots . There are plenty of other examples I could use (e.g. John Reid).

Because of the way Margaret Thatcher wiped out the Labour Party in England, the core of "New Labour" was made up from "old Labour" Scots simply because the Labour vote never collapsed in Scotland.

There is no such thing as an English government. That is why many English complain about Scots MPs voting on matters concerning England (the West Lothian question) whereas they have no say in what happens at Holyrood. It is arguable that Scots have as much say in what happens in England as the English do on what happens in Scotland.

There is no point in indulging in that traditional Scots habit of blaming the English for everything you don't like.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:38 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,419,785 times
If y'all want to have a rational discussion without the the personal references, that's cool, but this school-yard name-calling stuff needs to disappear.

Old 07-05-2009, 10:51 PM

22,585 posts, read 27,405,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornerguy1 View Post
If y'all want to have a rational discussion without the the personal references, that's cool, but this school-yard name-calling stuff needs to disappear.
I couldn't agree more. I'd add that when I grew up in the English school system MANY moons ago we were taught to express ourselves properly both orally and in writing with attention to basic grammatical standards.

We were judged/graded in subjects such as geography, history, as well as the obvious English language and literature classes on content but all grades were based not only on content but on grammar.

The required essays were of course tiresome from a child's standpoint but writing those essays were all part and parcel of the educational system and you never thought twice about NOT completing the assignment. Of course there was no internet then. You went to the local library to do research and read books and supplemented your knowledge of the books which your classroom provided.

The only homework which didn't entail the writing of an essay was maths and the associated geometry and algebra and, in retrospect, I wish that essays were required in those subjects too. I just might have grown up to be better with those basics if I had to research them from a different perspective as a child.

It would appear from the responses thus far on this thread that "English" as we old timers know it is slowly deteriorating in the UK as it has done for so long in the US where the filling in of a square on a multi-choice test questionnaire puts you into the haves or have-nots and independent THINKING is just an afterthought.

Sorry for having rambled on and, if apologies are necessary, I proffer them!

Cheers!

Old 07-06-2009, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Now now .... this "oh so lovely" English government has had more than its share of Scots since 1997. Tony Blair was educated in Edinburgh, Gordon Brown is Scots and so was Donald Dewar who piloted the Devolution Bill through Parliament. And of course, our late lamented Speaker was Scots . There are plenty of other examples I could use (e.g. John Reid).

Because of the way Margaret Thatcher wiped out the Labour Party in England, the core of "New Labour" was made up from "old Labour" Scots simply because the Labour vote never collapsed in Scotland.

There is no such thing as an English government. That is why many English complain about Scots MPs voting on matters concerning England (the West Lothian question) whereas they have no say in what happens at Holyrood. It is arguable that Scots have as much say in what happens in England as the English do on what happens in Scotland.

There is no point in indulging in that traditional Scots habit of blaming the English for everything you don't like.
Its when they whine and complain about Scotland like we're a liability i get mad, and when we're accused of "begging" like "kids"

Then that is a step too far.

That is all i will say on this thread.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:41 AM

294 posts, read 455,080 times
Quote:
England has the last say.
No it does not

The Houses of Parliament have the last say ..the same Houses of Parliament filled with Scots, Welsh, Northern Irish and English.

English people dont have a say in their own bloody country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom